IGNORED

New TLC Special, "My Five Wives"

Showtime has a show called Polyamory. I've also seen another show called Married and Dating (or am I thinking of Pregnant and Dating?).

It's called polyamory: married and dating and its in its second season :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any family would be better then Kody and wives right now. I'm kind of wish they just did an intro and not bring up the adoption issue. I don't know if the adoption issue is suppose to be a cliffhanger? or if it is another "right" they want to fight for. As much as for the most part I found them likeable, the adoption turned me off. The adoption issue has been discussed a lot in relation to the Duggars, how it works with large families and it would have nothing to do with polygamy that gets them turned down. While I don't think they are as broke as Kody, they would not have the income necessary for some adoptions or have to many biological kids. I don't think they could pass a home study. I guessing the wife #5 has a big heart and loves her job with babies and feels bad for kids that live in poverty and has some romantic notion about adoption.

My husband hated the birthday fight. With 29 people there are going to be same or close together dates. After 20 years they couldn't figure it out? My husband had over 20 siblings and 5 boys were born on the same week, and 9 in the same month. You shared a cake and dealt with it. Maybe it was another "storyline"

Has it said yet where they live? beside slc area, northern Utah? Do they live near bluffdale(my first guess) or further north? What group did they leave? The Kingston clan or Warren Jeffs?

I am interested more in the older kids and if they do continue the show if they get a role. The older ones have seen the religious and non-religious aspects. The one older boy from mom #4 looked kind of angry.

... He and one wife share a birthday and the wife always gets the husband for her birthday night, so none of the others get to be with their husband on his birthday. Lots of tears and jealousy.

This was what was being discussed when flipped the channel onto this show. I might have made it 3 or 4 minutes before I had to turn the channel.

Gag. Puke.

To be honest, I never watched Sister Wives but did always wonder that by outing themselves as a polygamist family, that there would be some backlash against them including affecting their jobs. While the LDS church no longer officially backs up polygamy (in this world at least), I would think that any family practicing polygamy would not be looked upon very well in their circles. And this family is in SLC, very heavy LDS area.

Maybe others can weigh in here.

From what I've heard, most polygamists try to blend in with Mormon culture, as they don't all live in the same house as in Big Love. My guess is that they could even take advantage of the loophole in the LDS church that allows a divorced man to be "sealed" to another woman even if his first wife is still alive, or the husband is only legally married to his first wife. I always thought the loophole would allow for polygamy to be going on, especially if none of the wives actually lives with the husband full-time.

This was what was being discussed when flipped the channel onto this show. I might have made it 3 or 4 minutes before I had to turn the channel.

Gag. Puke.

I thought the whole birthday thing was staged. The tears and everything seemed kinda fake to me. Robyn is the second wife and after 20 years they still hadn't figured out had to celebrate both birthdays.

To be honest, I never watched Sister Wives but did always wonder that by outing themselves as a polygamist family, that there would be some backlash against them including affecting their jobs. While the LDS church no longer officially backs up polygamy (in this world at least), I would think that any family practicing polygamy would not be looked upon very well in their circles. And this family is in SLC, very heavy LDS area.

Maybe others can weigh in here.

SLC is not heavily LDS anymore. In fact it is the most liberal area of the state. It has a large LGBT community and strong democratic presence. When my kids attended schools there , the classes were always less then half LDS (I lived in Draper and sugarhouse). The strong LDS areas would be around BYU, Logan, and southern Utah(where my kids classes are almost 100% LDS)

As far as employment , polygamous women work openly in many fields and those are just the ones you can id by dressing. There are many polygamous nurses and teachers (public school). I have had many polygamous nurses and medical staff in slc and st George take care of me. I have never had an issue nor have I heard others complain (I have heard other patients whisper about it or make a joke but not about the medical care). I can see if a traditional dressed women walked into a car dealership and wanted to sell cars ,maybe an issue but in most jobs or industries people know polygamous are here and they do work (often at a lower wage or the bad hours) and that is part of Utah. My husband works with polygamists sometimes and he said they are quiet and hard working. Again my husband doesn't believe what they believe but he is fine if they are competent workers.

I have neighbors about 5 blocks over that are polygamists. They have a lovely home(they all share one kitchen so it is a normal but large home) and nice kids. The wives are a teacher and 2 nurses. they are accepted like any other mom at school or when they bring the kids to a birthday. They have held their jobs for at least 10 years. The oldest wife dresses a bit frumpy and has the long twisted up hair and is a nurse, the younger 2 are more modern modest.

I always wonder where they find these people they interview that are from Utah that hate polygamists. While many disagree with the lifestyle, I rarely hear people hate polygamy. Many have family roots in polygamy and are now mainstream LDS and again disagree but are not hateful or ashamed. A polygamist is not going to be the next governor, but I can't think of too many jobs they would be rejected from unless it was a small business. Businesses in Utah in General will take a qualified person who will work for the lowest wage or worst hours. Companies come to Utah for cheap workers that have an education, they don't care if it is from Mohave valley college , byu or out of state, they just want hard work for the lowest wage.

Years ago, I remember picking up a local newspaper while driving from Moab to Salt Lake City. This local paper said that an issue had come up about whether a polygamist could continue to serve on town council, and the real estate section talked about how homes with multiple kitchen were popular. Apparently, these women were willing to share a husband, but asking them to share a kitchen was just going too far.

The sense that I got was that it was technically illegal in Utah, but not uncommon in some areas and not really secret.

I thought the whole birthday thing was staged. The tears and everything seemed kinda fake to me. Robyn is the second wife and after 20 years they still hadn't figured out had to celebrate both birthdays.

Exactly. Fakey fake fake fake.

I got the sense that this was a nice, hard-working, relatively functional family who had recently run into some financial hardships and been isolated from their community due to their leaving the religion. What makes me sad is that they seem willing to manufacture drama/destabilize the family to avoid money worries. A personal/familial/legal battle to adopt (when more bio kids were not really even on the table - WTH? Maybe the wife wanting to adopt/struggling with fertility issues has Meri syndrome and gets special treatment due to her inability to naturally conceive more children? Although she does have 4 or 5...); a willingness to exploit the one wife's weight (again, WTH? That was gut-wrenching!), etc. I like this family but think if they get a show they will become unlikeable.

I just want Polygamy USA to come back. Creepy Cawley, Arthur and his boot throwing, the odd dynamic of Isaiah's wives, Hyrum and his 12 year old looking wife....good stuff. sigh

Ditto. I really want to see Hyrum and his 12 year old looking wife that he doesn't really know, get to know each other. I hope they like each other when they do.

I like looking at him anyway.

I watched it. It was a bit staged, they did all the intros. It's very interesting that they have left their polygamist church and are totally on their own. I wish they would have explained their beliefs better. The dad said a prayer, and they all grew up in the church, but according to their fb it says they are now doing this more for commitment reasons than religious and that they've left a lot if religious beliefs behind, and now believe in a more inclusive, loving god.

Some tank tops were worn, they said they are outcasts without any friends. One wife wants to adopt but it's $$$ and who would give a baby to them? Another wife wants another baby. They have 30 kids, 2 connecting houses and each wife has her own kitchen and space. They take turns cooking for everyone. 4 of the wives are thin, one is obese and pretty sad about it. The husband said they should get in shape together.

He and one wife share a birthday and the wife always gets the husband for her birthday night, so none of the others get to be with their husband on his birthday. Lots of tears and jealousy. Overall they seem to like each other.

Overall they seem better than the Browns, but they still were fighting in the first episode over birthdays. That's the kind of shit that makes me think that polygamy can never be good for women, as for instance, the Browns claim. You can't even navigate birthdays without somebody getting all butthurt? That just sucks. I think this family is better than most in polygamy. I will concede that. But I still don't see this as something "good," or even something acceptable to promote. These are lovely women and think they do probably like each other well enough, but I still think they would be better apart.

I'm really curious about their religious beliefs, btw.

Ditto. I really want to see Hyrum and his 12 year old looking wife that he doesn't really know, get to know each other. I hope they like each other when they do.

I like looking at him anyway.

I have no idea how I missed this so I just had to look up Hyrum and Kelly. God told her to marry him, it's as simple as that? Because God may have told me the same thing. :lol: Yum, yum.

But those eyebrows. Unfortunate.

Anyone know where I can find this episode available for viewing? Not finding it on TLC, iTunes, or YouTube.

or clips even? I can't find anything & we don't have cable so I missed the entire thing:(

Someone mentioned that someone was married for 12 years and had a 13 year old, but I just watched and the youngest marriage was 14 years and the daughter is 13

Her went into the homes and it was listed like this (not in marriage order, but the years they had been married)

Why would anyone want to do this if they left the religion?

Someone mentioned that someone was married for 12 years and had a 13 year old, but I just watched and the youngest marriage was 14 years and the daughter is 13

Her went into the homes and it was listed like this (not in marriage order, but the years they had been married)

Why would anyone want to do this if they left the religion?

Maybe they're just committed to each other? Or at least to the husband? If they left the religion after they'd all been married, especially if they all left together, I could see this happening. I mean, if you went from believing totally in polygamy, to even not thinking it's such a good idea in theory, then that still doesn't mean you're going to abandon people that you care about, especially your children. Although if this religious break is recent, one or more of the wives might eventually decide to go it alone. Anyway, my point is, even though I can't imagine polygamy is good for anyone, I can definitely still see why someone might stay in it even if they don't believe they have to anymore.

I found it boring and it felt like five Robyns with all the weeping and crying and trying for attention. I think it felt lifeless to me. It seemed strange that they left the AUB and kind of went religonless after acquiring five "wives." No ratings yet, but I'll be surprised if they get a series.

I found it boring and it felt like five Robyns with all the weeping and crying and trying for attention. I think it felt lifeless to me. It seemed strange that they left the AUB and kind of went religonless after acquiring five "wives." No ratings yet, but I'll be surprised if they get a series.

Ya I don't want it to be a series

I kind of want it to be a series because I'm really curious as to how they made the shift away from Religion. Was it something dramatic ? A gradual shift ? Are they all happy with the shift away, or are some still devout ? Was /is there conflict around it ?

That part is fascinating to me. The rest of it was okay, but it kind of felt like they had all just had a big fight and were trying to hide it. Like when you walk into someone's home for a party, but they are having an argument and everyone is uncomfortable.

My husband has been working up in CP. I would love to see another season. My husband has worked with Arthur before and close to the Crowley's. Yes they are living in the storage containers and no they are not painted or fixed up nice. Just awnings over the doors. Rose Marie is not married yet but has had a few jobs with a 2 companies considered kind of shady, a small business loan officer and now some mortgage company.

I wanted to go up there with my husband on his last job but couldn't. One of the older wives invited him in for lunch. better then my cooking! no, my husband has had mostly very positive thing to say about CP compared to Colorado city or Crazy Kody.

Polygamy USA is the closest to the real deal so I bet it gets cancelled because on the fame whores like Kody gets multiple seasons and wives!

We may be spared Five Wives as a series. I read that it had 1.854 million viewers so that isn't nearly Sister Wives territory. It's high enough that they might do a limited run of maybe six episodes depending on what else they have on pilot and how those shows do.

• 5 months later...

It's back... no one caught it?

There seems to be a lot more jealousy this time around than in the special. Husband was tired of being used as a buffer between the wives, so suggested they use "safe talks" to talk about any questions or issues they had and leave him out of it.

Pauline (1st wife) I guess usually did the bills and couldn't find one, so she asked Noni (not sure which # wife) if she'd done something and Noni took it personally and had a meltdown with the husband after.

They said they're being encouraged to leave their town since they left the religion. He wants to to go Washington, Pauline said her choice is Montana or staying in Utah.

They didn't really get into the kids too much... I think to keep a series going, they'll have to move. I don't see it lasting long.

The family seems a little more interesting than Sister Wives. The women actually work! And the husband works hard and is in school. They each have their own home. He rotates every night to each house. Doesn't seem like the wives even talk to each other very much!

Does anyone know why they left the faith?

Archived