IGNORED

It's that time again! Vacation: Poverty style!

Koala

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-power-of-saying-no.html

At the end of an entire summer season--from May to August, a thousand "No thank yous" later, we actually have enough time, energy and money to consider a beach trip tomorrow. God willing, we're going to Assateague Island near Ocean City, Maryland. This is a beach front National Park where 300 wild ponies live.

Tell us again how poor you are Abigail.

They're 'beach people,' yet haven't been to the beach in all the seven years they've lived in the DC area. Sorry, it only takes an hour or so at most to get to a beach from the DC area. Get up early, pack a picnic lunch and lots of drinks, throw blankets, towels, sunscreen, and an umbrella in the car, and go. That's what real 'beach people' do, even if they're 'poor.' Which you, Abigail, are most decidely not. :roll:

Shouldn't she take the vacation money and give it to the actual poor? Isn't that what someone said to do once?

They're 'beach people,' yet haven't been to the beach in all the seven years they've lived in the DC area. Sorry, it only takes an hour or so at most to get to a beach from the DC area. Get up early, pack a picnic lunch and lots of drinks, throw blankets, towels, sunscreen, and an umbrella in the car, and go. That's what real 'beach people' do, even if they're 'poor.' Which you, Abigail, are most decidely not. :roll:

Eh, I like the beach, but don't go that often in Maryland. It's also not always an hour or so, it's 2-3 hours, depending. Not my idea of a day trip.

I do think it odd that they are taking another vacation this year, when they are "so poor".

I live a half-mile from the DC border, in Maryland. It takes three hours minimum to get to the beach from here.

Eh, I like the beach, but don't go that often in Maryland. It's also not always an hour or so, it's 2-3 hours, depending. Not my idea of a day trip.

I do think it odd that they are taking another vacation this year, when they are "so poor".

Depending on exactly where you live, and the godawful traffic up there, definitely. Didn't mean to be quite so general. :embarrassed:

I live in a Virginia town with the word beach in it. Last time I was actually AT the beach? Probably about fifteen years ago. But unlike Abigail, I don't claim to be 'beach people.' :lol:

It sounds like this is a day trip, not a vacation. Maybe that's what "poor", "impoverished" people do instead of vacation? Oh, poor, poor Abigail.

Since she's not in the habit of packing lunches, I'm starting a pool for irrational food choices followed by a blog complaining about this trip cutting into the food budget. Chime in, where will they stop for lunch?

It sounds like this is a day trip, not a vacation. Maybe that's what "poor", "impoverished" people do instead of vacation? Oh, poor, poor Abigail.

Since she's not in the habit of packing lunches, I'm starting a pool for irrational food choices followed by a blog complaining about this trip cutting into the food budget. Chime in, where will they stop for lunch?

Oh definitely McDonald's. Perhaps they'll run into Greg and Dede. ;)

There will also be a stop at Hobby Lobby for cheap room decor (must support then, they are martyrs you know) and perhaps a trip to Wal-mart for a $30 toy if one of the kids gets an scratch or some such minor annoyance. The trip will be topped off with a stop at a ritzy coffee house where Abigail will treat herself to a $6 cup of coffee and some chocolate. Then they will return home where Abigail will list the sofa on craigslist (FOR FREE, because CHARITY!) and then complain that they need to go buy plastic lawn chairs for the living room. By next week she will be back to playing her rented cello :violin: <----- (close enough) and posting about how poor they are and whatever will they eat for dinner. The end.

She is too ill to properly homeschool her children, she is too ill to properly clean her home, but she can take a day trip to the beach with the heat, sand, water, sun, etc? When I was suffering my worst "morning" sickness I was still working a high stress 9-5 job and keeping up with housework, etc. And the beach would have been the last place I wanted to be. Lying on the cool tile bathroom floor without interruption? That was my idea of a vacation.

I live a half-mile from the DC border, in Maryland. It takes three hours minimum to get to the beach from here.

I'm in PG County, and I usually get there in 2 and a half hours, but either I just drive fast (and I do) or I try to go at off-hours to avoid traffic.

Actually I probably live a good bit east of Rosie, so that cuts out some time too..

If she's going to Assateague, she might be camping, which would certainly be a more frugal "vacation" choice. Either way, I would suggest she shut up about her "poverty" (it DOESN'T make you holy, Abigail), and make sure that first and foremost, she feeds her kids!

The beach is one of my favorite places to be. I live two miles from the beach and go all the time. I also like to go to different beaches all over. I also switch up daily walks with jogging on beach sand. It keeps the legs very toned.

Archived