IGNORED

Whole Foods Bows to Fundie Bloggers

Alecto

Yeah, she seems more of a necon type. I couldn't really stand to spend much type on her blog, but she also apparently sees as a sign of anti-Semitism that Whole Foods carried Palestinian fair-trade oil that "sponsors terrorism" or something...funnily enough when I went to Israel I came across some products made in the Palestinian territories in stores in Tel Aviv, I'm assuming it was marketed by self-haters working towards the destruction of their own country?

Yeah, I wouldn't blame fundie bloggers for this. Debbie Schlussel is, as Beeks said, kind of an Ann Coulter type.

I'm so envious of those of you who have good farmers markets. The ones around here are mostly higher-end locally produced foods or crafts (which is fine if you need that sort of thing on a regular basis) but the fruits and vegetables are often from other areas of the country. I even once saw some produce from New Zealand (I live in the US btw)

I just find it weird that they're promoting food during a time of fasting ;-)

You sometimes hear scree like this from right wing bloggers. It's scary there are people who think like that....almost makes you wonder if they have something pathological going on in their head heheh.

I never go to Whole Foods because it's too pricy and I'm indifferent to the organic food thing. It makes me sad that there are people who think any presentation of Islam---no matter how innocuous---is a sign of endorsing terrorism. I mean, it's FOOD. At this point, you know people like that aren't thinking national security, they want to do the closest thing to criminalizing a whole religion, by suppressing every point of it. What's next? Algebra? Hm, I bet there's some kid in middle school that would be game for that.....

I just find it weird that they're promoting food during a time of fasting ;-)

Except you only fast from sun up to sun down, and then usually the night meal is quite a feast.

Except you only fast from sun up to sun down, and then usually the night meal is quite a feast.

When I was in law school Ramadan fell during Yom Kippur and the Jewish Student Union and Muslim Student Union had a break the fast event together at sundown. It was pretty cool.

My rabbi cousin is the head of some Jew-Muslim Alliance in her area and I am pretty sure WF is losing her business. She has said that she shops there too, she is kosher and really into organic stuff as well. (and she can afford to shop wherever she wants to because her wife is a successful lawyer and they both have had books published with decent sales)

Exactly. Sadly, it's been a centuries old problem that people spend more on food during Ramadan than they do in other months. I was reading a thousand year old classic text on fasting and was surprised to see that the author admonished readers to forgo the huge feasts and instead focus on giving to charity and eating only what they needed to to satiate their hunger.

Looking at twitter, it looks like the anti ramadan directive came from one regional manager, and whole foods as a corporation is still going to push Ramadan. Still too expensive for me though :lol:

Exactly. Sadly, it's been a centuries old problem that people spend more on food during Ramadan than they do in other months. I was reading a thousand year old classic text on fasting and was surprised to see that the author admonished readers to forgo the huge feasts and instead focus on giving to charity and eating only what they needed to to satiate their hunger.

Looking at twitter, it looks like the anti ramadan directive came from one regional manager, and whole foods as a corporation is still going to push Ramadan. Still too expensive for me though :lol:

One of my good friends always gains weight during Ramadan. He blames the high carb foods.

I'm so envious of those of you who have good farmers markets. The ones around here are mostly higher-end locally produced foods or crafts (which is fine if you need that sort of thing on a regular basis) but the fruits and vegetables are often from other areas of the country. I even once saw some produce from New Zealand (I live in the US btw)

Wow - that pretty much defeats the purpose of the local farmers' market, doesn't it? Where I live, it's a violation of local regs to sell out-of-area produce at the farmers' market.

My friends and I only go to Whole Foods to have a sample lunch. Delicious free samples.

We're terrible people. :lol:

I thought I was the only one! There's one a few blocks from work. I do that more often than I'd care to admit! ;) I never buy there, though. There's a Trader Joe's and a farmer's market within walking distance.

My rabbi cousin is the head of some Jew-Muslim Alliance in her area and I am pretty sure WF is losing her business. She has said that she shops there too, she is kosher and really into organic stuff as well. (and she can afford to shop wherever she wants to because her wife is a successful lawyer and they both have had books published with decent sales)

Your cousin sounds awesome!

We do have a Whole Foods here, but Earth Fare, a regional chain out of Asheville, NC, is closer and I get to avoid Whole Foods awful politics.

I thought I was the only one! There's one a few blocks from work. I do that more often than I'd care to admit! ;) I never buy there, though. There's a Trader Joe's and a farmer's market within walking distance.

The one time I actually went to buy something from there they were closed. It was 9:00pm. I guess I'm spoiled by all the 'regular' grocery stores that are open until at least midnight, but I found that kind of unacceptable.

The same bloggers who are against Ramadan are the ones who are screaming to put Christ back into Christmas.

You canot claim a right for yourself while refusing it to others.

Wow - that pretty much defeats the purpose of the local farmers' market, doesn't it? Where I live, it's a violation of local regs to sell out-of-area produce at the farmers' market.

it does defeat the purpose, doesn't it? Here, the farmers market vendors can sell out-of-area produce, but it has to be clearly labelled as such.

it does defeat the purpose, doesn't it? Here, the farmers market vendors can sell out-of-area produce, but it has to be clearly labelled as such.

we even have vendors that buy corn and tomatoes at wal mart, and then re-sell it at their market booths.

(edited to fix tags)

Let me ask the obvious: how to Fundie bloggers afford to shop at Whole Foods?

I have wondered about this recently after ZsuZsu mentioned WF on her blog and did wonder how they can afford to shop at Whole Foods when they are living off the tithe.

Archived