IGNORED

Prolifers demand museum show abortion/holocaust exhibit

merrily

http://freakoutnation.com/2013/08/09/te ... holocaust/

Management at the museum in Albuquerque said that anti-choice protesters went into their venue, passed out leaflets and demanded the museum open an exhibit comparing abortion to the Jewish Holocaust. The disturbance was so bad that the museum had to shut down for the day. The protesters, mostly teenagers, were bussed in from around the country, according to KOB Eyewitness News 4.

Signs were held showing graphic photos of mutilated infants/fetuses and other signs which read “ABQ: America’s Auschwitz.†Auschwitz was the Nazi concentration camp where millions of people were put to death in gas chambers, most of them Jewish.

The protests were held just a few feet away from the New Mexico Holocaust and Intolerance Museum.

KOB asked one of the protestors what she knew about New Mexico’s abortion laws and she admitted, “Since I just got here, we’ve been learning about it since then, so I don’t know too much.â€

One resident Joan Lamunyon Sanford said, â€We are hurt and outraged that these out of state extremists would come to our city and disrespect one of our most important landmarks like this.â€

KOB reports, “If the groups are successful, a question will appear on the next municipal ballot in October asking if Albuquerque should ban abortions 20 weeks after conception. The American Civil Liberties Union has argued such a law violates federal and state laws.â€

Watch courtesy of KOB:

Since the young protesters want to go the Godwin’s Law route, women in Auschwitz were treated brutally, with many of them raped. Some of them were impregnated by their rapists. Sometimes a woman’s sexuality in the death camps was her only tool for survival. Some of them were forced to have abortions if the fetus was not determined to be potentially ‘Germanized’ but I’m sure the women would have appreciated having a choice in the matter one way or the other.

Also, they can’t spell. It’s not ‘Aushwitz.’

:evil-eye:

Special place in hell for these people. It should be illegal to call anything but the holocaust a holocaust.

I wish some organization - The NHM, Spielberg's Shoah org - SOMEBODY would start a campaign to shut these people down,

I live near ABQ and I must have missed this. Prolifers need to quit with the abortion and Holocaust comparisons. One of my college professors worked quite a bit with Holocaust museum years ago and I'm sure she was pissed about this.

I'll have to ask a friend who lives IN ABQ if she heard about this. She is the type of person who might start something. She's awful busy at the moment though :( at least she can write a few emails or something. I hate when these things happen; the Holocaust should remain THE holocaust. There is no comparison, none.

Plus the Holocaust is a bit of a heavy topic that people seem to WANT to use to garner reactions; it is no longer a history lesson, it is more of a "buzzword" in this situation and shouldn't be treated this way at all. My 2 cents.

sorry if I am incoherent or repeating myself, I'm just really annoyed with this tactic people are trying to pull and now a kid is throwing a fit in the next room. sigh. School can't start soon enough for me.

survivors.la/

Here is the address of the site of the org that was protesting, from what I can tell. One of the leaders was with Operation Rescue (who I will always remember for the Summer of Mercy in Wichita while I lived there) (spits on ground)

I honestly believe that few, if any of these sheep have any fucking clue what the Holocaust REALLY is. Even non-fundie teens are pretty much clueless, since it's given short shift in most history classes unless you take a Holocaust studies elective like my daughter did in high school. Fundies probably know even less and what they do know is most likely heavily edited and revised to reflect the whole Holocaust=abortion fundie mission. This lack of information--or disinformation--doesn't make these comparisions any less odious, however. I think every last one of them needs a trip through the Holocaust Museum in DC, including those exhibits that are deemed too disturbing for the general public. It would hopefully be a serious wake-up call and an experience that might make them understand how insulting and belittling their comparisions are.

I couldn't even make it inside the museum at all. I pretty much lost it about a block away and just couldn't go in. And I DO know what it's all about.

ETA: And because the sheer numbers of people who were murdered is very difficult to process and understand, the movie "Paper Clips" should also be required viewing. The Holocaust should NOT be an abstract concept.

Fuck them.

If you want to use your money to build your own fucking museum to whatever cause you want, have fun. If you find that the general public doesn't get upset enough about the fact that many of the "lives lost" were either embryos less than an inch long, or non-existent (if you insist on calling Plan B and even the Pill abortion methods), too bloody bad. You don't get to borrow someone else's genocide to boost your case.

How/when/where/why the fuck did these dipshits get the idea that the Holocaust Museum owes them a forum to express their views? Especially since their rhetoric is being use to trivialize the ORIGINAL Holocaust

OK, cupcakes. Try and get this through your primordial little brains. Neither the Holocaust Museum, nor the living Holocaust survivors, owe you a damn thing. NADA! In fact you owe them, for not uncorking giant cans of Whoopass and Sitthefuckdown on your sorry selves. Do everyone a favor: take your shitty principles back where you come from and stop Godbothering the rest of us.

How/when/where/why the fuck did these dipshits get the idea that the Holocaust Museum owes them a forum to express their views? Especially since their rhetoric is being use to trivialize the ORIGINAL Holocaust

OK, cupcakes. Try and get this through your primordial little brains. Neither the Holocaust Museum, nor the living Holocaust survivors, owe you a damn thing. NADA! In fact you owe them, for not uncorking giant cans of Whoopass and Sitthefuckdown on your sorry selves. Do everyone a favor: take your shitty principles back where you come from and stop Godbothering the rest of us.

Yeah, not a way to gain support among actual Jews, and especially not actual Holocaust survivors:

http://www.adl.org/press-center/press-r ... nical.html

Special place in hell for these people. It should be illegal to call anything but the holocaust a holocaust.

I wish some organization - The NHM, Spielberg's Shoah org - SOMEBODY would start a campaign to shut these people down,

Sort of off-topic: Since you said that it should be illegal to call anything but the holocaust a holocaust, there was this museum nearby where I live called America's Black Holocaust Museum ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Holocaust_Museum ). I like that there is a museum dedicated to African-American history, but calling it "America's Black Holocaust Museum" just doesn't seem right to me. I know that African-Americans have been through a lot of bad stuff in the past ( and for some, the present ), but like many of us have said before, you shouldn't call anything but the holocaust a holocaust.

Am I the only that thinks that wasn't right to call the museum the "Black Holocaust Museum"?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Creation Museum does an "Abortion=Holocaust" exhibit.

:puke-right: Let's not give them any ideas.

NM has a large population of anti choice. I think part of it is due to the large catholic population. I have seen signs like the ones in the news story before. They had them at a planned parenthood protest.

Sort of off-topic: Since you said that it should be illegal to call anything but the holocaust a holocaust, there was this museum nearby where I live called America's Black Holocaust Museum ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Holocaust_Museum ). I like that there is a museum dedicated to African-American history, but calling it "America's Black Holocaust Museum" just doesn't seem right to me. I know that African-Americans have been through a lot of bad stuff in the past ( and for some, the present ), but like many of us have said before, you shouldn't call anything but the holocaust a holocaust.

Am I the only that thinks that wasn't right to call the museum the "Black Holocaust Museum"?

I think that each atrocity deserves to be identified by its own facts and horror.

At the same time, I don't get up in arms if someone makes a legitimate comparison between events that are similar in size/scale, genocidal intent, and/or rate of killing. We've bought books about the Rwandan genocide and the Armenian genocide from the Holocaust Museum in Washington, as I was just reading about a statement that former Israeli Chief Rabbi Israel Meir Lau (a child survivor of Buchenwald concentration camp) made in the early 1990s that the world hadn't learned the "never again" message, since similar things were then happening in the former Yugoslavia.

The slave trade had its own unique dynamic that should be recognized. At the same time, there was also mass destruction of communities in western Africa, dehumanization, and death on a large scale (although the intent wasn't primarily to kill, but to enslave). Slave labor was used during the Holocaust, but it wasn't the primary motivation for it. The experience of Black slavery also had the additional aspect of really destroying original cultures and family life and creating entire societies with a racial sub-class, over generations.

There's been *nothing* on the local news about them. I know the family that was the driving force behind the establishment of the Holocaust Museum, and they're politically connected up the wazoo, on the state and local level. I expect a can of whoopass to be released on the protestors soon.

2XX is much better than me in explaining but...

To me, the Holocaust should be preserved as meaning that one singular thing in history. I don't agree with it being used for other things. It's trying to "borrow horror" instead of letting the horror stand alone by itself and be reviled by all.

Just wanted to add that there is some debate within the field as well (History, Holocaust Studies) regarding terminology, mainly concerning the international academic usages of "Holocaust" and "Shoah". And then there is the separate debate of comparative genocides.

But back to your regular snarking programming, lest they (the protesting prolifers) end up reading here and assuming I am associating their drivel with an actual academic debate. Because they're just dumb.

When my daughter was in HS there was always someone who wanted to write a report on the "abortion as holocaust" idea in the Social Justice class. Teenagers really don't know better but it's a shame some adults will use them this way.

I think that each atrocity deserves to be identified by its own facts and horror.

At the same time, I don't get up in arms if someone makes a legitimate comparison between events that are similar in size/scale, genocidal intent, and/or rate of killing. We've bought books about the Rwandan genocide and the Armenian genocide from the Holocaust Museum in Washington, as I was just reading about a statement that former Israeli Chief Rabbi Israel Meir Lau (a child survivor of Buchenwald concentration camp) made in the early 1990s that the world hadn't learned the "never again" message, since similar things were then happening in the former Yugoslavia.

The slave trade had its own unique dynamic that should be recognized. At the same time, there was also mass destruction of communities in western Africa, dehumanization, and death on a large scale (although the intent wasn't primarily to kill, but to enslave). Slave labor was used during the Holocaust, but it wasn't the primary motivation for it. The experience of Black slavery also had the additional aspect of really destroying original cultures and family life and creating entire societies with a racial sub-class, over generations.

Well it has more legitimacy to compare it to the Holocaust than the anti-abortion campaign does.

I think they miss the point of a Holocaust museum. It's not to serve a political cause or to display any loss of life as a convenient metaphor. It's for people to enter, cry, and say "never again".

People who would overuse the name, Holocaust, forget that holocaust means a massive scale destruction by fire. It is already a metaphor.

These twits have never picked up a history book. Hell, they haven't even watched Schindler's List from what I can tell.

Holocaust was more than killing people on a large scale (which is how they understand it). It is the systematic state humilitation and destruction of an entire cultural/religious tradition.

What the Nazi's did was not just kill, but dehumanize Jews and other groups over a period of time until the larger German public no longer recognized them as human or were too afraid to speak up.

It's pretty hard to dehumanize a fetus over a course of time. You can't take away their jobs, their rights, their education, their homes, their health like you can with a living, breathing adult.

My husband works for a Jewish non-profit and knows a few survivors, and I'm sure he would be happy to set up a meeting between the survivors and these kids being bused in so they can learn what a Holocaust really is. Because these kids are clueless twits who don't know what they are talking about.

These twits have never picked up a history book. Hell, they haven't even watched Schindler's List from what I can tell.

Holocaust was more than killing people on a large scale (which is how they understand it). It is the systematic state humilitation and destruction of an entire cultural/religious tradition.

What the Nazi's did was not just kill, but dehumanize Jews and other groups over a period of time until the larger German public no longer recognized them as human or were too afraid to speak up.

It's pretty hard to dehumanize a fetus over a course of time. You can't take away their jobs, their rights, their education, their homes, their health like you can with a living, breathing adult.

My husband works for a Jewish non-profit and knows a few survivors, and I'm sure he would be happy to set up a meeting between the survivors and these kids being bused in so they can learn what a Holocaust really is. Because these kids are clueless twits who don't know what they are talking about.

Someone should offer to speak to them. But I don't think they're decent enough of human beings to not patronize them or try and convert them :angry-banghead:

Oh, fuck these people. Fuck. Pro. Lifers. You know what, assholes? Go to Israel and say that shit. See what you get.

Right. I've just been to Yad Vashem. The Holocaust and abortion are so the same thing.

Archived