IGNORED

Anyone upload their data to GEDmatch.com?

Lainey

I did this yesterday. I wish I knew more about DNA, because I barely understand the tools they have, but even with my limited understanding of genetics, it's pretty cool. And free! I learned that my parents are very, very distantly related. This amuses me no end (they "hate" each other). You get a kit number and you can compare to other people if you have their kit numbers.

I did upload mine, and it was fun. My parents are not at all related, apparently. I had a lot of fun using the admixtures. On the other dna thread, I said familytreedna.com came back with a weird middle eastern result for me. I put my results in GED match, and they all came back with a pretty big Mediterranean component. I have no idea where it came from - I suspect my adoptive grandmother, but I'll have to get my mom tested to see how hers comes back.

Here were some of my graphs:

The Harappa model:

post-1737-14451998171332_thumb.jpg

Docecad:

post-1737-14451998171825_thumb.jpg

Eurogenes:

post-1737-14451998172254_thumb.jpg

mdlp:

post-1737-14451998172779_thumb.jpg

So do you understand it, then? Why are there so many different calculators? How did you get the pictures of the graphs to show up here? I didn't even know you could download them.

I did this too, but can't remember any of my results except that my parents weren't related. Found it kind of difficult to sort through.

So do you understand it, then? Why are there so many different calculators? How did you get the pictures of the graphs to show up here? I didn't even know you could download them.

Mainly determining ancestry based on autosomal DNA is not a science. There are many ways of doing it. Various people have different ways of calculating it. That's went there are so many different calculators. If all the calculators are giving about the same result you can trust the overall result. But if you are getting wildly different results then I wouldn't trust any of them.

I got the graphs by talking a screen shot then uploading the file.

• 2 weeks later...

This is fascinating. What is the best way to get the data to get started?

We have been wanting to gather my FIL's dna in an effort to help him with geneology efforts. (A key link in his effort to map his family tree burned down 100 years ago, making it hard for him to go back very far. So we thought he would appreciate the DNA information - but I started researching it and was overwhelmed with the options.

Would love to know what other FJers experiences have been, and if they recommend this for older family members. Would it be super cool and fun? or too technical and just seem silly to them?

This is fascinating. What is the best way to get the data to get started?

We have been wanting to gather my FIL's dna in an effort to help him with geneology efforts. (A key link in his effort to map his family tree burned down 100 years ago, making it hard for him to go back very far. So we thought he would appreciate the DNA information - but I started researching it and was overwhelmed with the options.

Would love to know what other FJers experiences have been, and if they recommend this for older family members. Would it be super cool and fun? or too technical and just seem silly to them?

I prefer 23andMe for the DNA analysis to start with. They are easier to understand and everything's laid out for you.

I got my grandma to do it, but that was more for me than for her. She's my last living grandparent, so I wanted to use one of the features that tells you about inherited traits. And for that, you need at least one grandparent.

Archived