IGNORED

New Jewish Rituals Offer Comfort to Women Who Have Had Abort

Ralar

‘Not being able to process [abortion] religiously makes it a very hard experience. We thought it’s important to give it a voice.’

The founders of Mayyim Hayyim concur, because they have created one of the very few Jewish rituals for a woman marking the termination of a pregnancy. The rite, written by Matia Rania Angelou, Deborah Issokson, and Judith D. Kummer—a poet, a psychologist, and a rabbi, respectively—is so exceptional that women who discover it are often astounded to find that it exists. It consists of three immersions in the mikveh, interspersed with short blessings and prayers, and it opens with a kavanah—the “intention†by which a person prepares herself to do a mitzvah in the fullness of her heart—asking God for help “to begin healing from this difficult decision to interrupt the promise of life.â€

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/140543/jewish-abortion-rituals

I think this is wonderfuul. Not snark-worthy, but I didn't know where else to post it.

That's great, and it seems to incorporate all kinds of feelings about an abortion too. Just because it was the best decision, a relief, etc doesn't mean that a woman might not feel like she needs healing.

Sounds so wonderful, I can see that it would've really helpful. I know my friend who is battling infertility finds it very helpful to look on the mikvah each month another chance and a new start.

Archived