IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

Awesome title and awesome comment from Sharon. I am fb friends with John on my 'other' account.

So entertaining!

Sharon has her own fan page too. You can search "Friends of Sharon Bailgoat" on FB. I don't know if she updates that more than the tumblr or not :lol:

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Whole Foods where I used to live (Center City Philadelphia) had amaranth in the bulk section. I haven't checked since moving to Oregon, but might be worth a shot?

Thanks! Unfortunately the closest Whole Foods to me is 30 miles away. I've never found it at Trader Joe's or Costco. I suppose I could try growing amaranth, but I am something of a failure at gardening. I can manage tomatoes and a few herbs, but other veggies I've tried are either eaten by bunnies or whither and die on me. :lol:

I'm assuming full family participatino is mandatory as a first attempt to weed out those who aren't serious enough?

I'm assuming full family participatino is mandatory as a first attempt to weed out those who aren't serious enough?

In Missionary "bootcamp?" Possibly. Trying to look on the bright side, bootcamp and a few hours of medical training is more than the Supreme Butthole (TM Sharon Bailgoat) had before. It may actually indicate that John and David :wink-penguin: :wink-penguin: have actually hooked up with a semi-official missionary organization. Up until now their enterprise has seemed Poisonwood Bible in action. As any sensible organization would require immunizations, and certainly any insurance company would too, he may actually be getting his family vaccinated.

We can but hope.

Thanks! Unfortunately the closest Whole Foods to me is 30 miles away. I've never found it at Trader Joe's or Costco. I suppose I could try growing amaranth, but I am something of a failure at gardening. I can manage tomatoes and a few herbs, but other veggies I've tried are either eaten by bunnies or whither and die on me. :lol:

You should know that even the local squirrel and groundhog populations will not touch my aunt's amaranth, even while they are tearing apart haricot verts in broad daylight with a human audience. Give it a shot next season. :)

And you can get back into the country after you've been roaming around Africa without a vaccination?

This lack of requiring vaccines makes me feel squicky. Also, all the tiny babies full of malaria :(

You should know that even the local squirrel and groundhog populations will not touch my aunt's amaranth, even while they are tearing apart haricot verts in broad daylight with a human audience. Give it a shot next season. :)

If you can manage tomatoes you should be able to handle amaranth. I grew some accidently last summer-I spilled some chook food and, lo & behold, amaranth appeared.

And you can get back into the country after you've been roaming around Africa without a vaccination?

This lack of requiring vaccines makes me feel squicky. Also, all the tiny babies full of malaria :(

Me too. :( Or rabies - Palimpsest, isn't this one of the parts of the world where rabid dogs are common?

Apparently there are no vaccination requirements to enter the US from anywhere. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destination ... ted-states

The link above for Zambia Entry/Exit requirements was interesting. It also says that he should have a business visa, not a tourist visa, or he could be fined and deported for missionaryizing. This requires a letter from a sponsoring organization. AND he'll have to get a police clearance, with fingerprints, from a US police station; it's a requirement for anyone wanting to live in Zambia. But I guess housing your family of 10 in a tent is not a police reportable crime.

You clearly didn't have god on your side like John does.

Plus, you silly, you wasted all that time on that devilish science!

Where did people see Esther is pregnant again? If she is all I can think is poor woman she just delivered their last child a little over 5 months ago.

Me too. :( Or rabies - Palimpsest, isn't this one of the parts of the world where rabid dogs are common?

Apparently there are no vaccination requirements to enter the US from anywhere. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destination ... ted-states

The link above for Zambia Entry/Exit requirements was interesting. It also says that he should have a business visa, not a tourist visa, or he could be fined and deported for missionaryizing. This requires a letter from a sponsoring organization. AND he'll have to get a police clearance, with fingerprints, from a US police station; it's a requirement for anyone wanting to live in Zambia. But I guess housing your family of 10 in a tent is not a police reportable crime.

Hmm, wonder if he'll complain about the interference of the evil government on that one.

If you can manage tomatoes you should be able to handle amaranth. I grew some accidently last summer-I spilled some chook food and, lo & behold, amaranth appeared.

I think I will have to give growing amaranth a try next year! Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :D

Yes, outbreaks of rabies are fairly common. It is not just dogs, though, it is any mammal. I think bats are a fairly big vector for rabies in most parts of Africa. I once had to have the full course of rabies shots when a baboon appeared out of nowhere and grabbed a banana from me. It didn't bite me, just scratched my hand, but that was enough to take precautions because it was a wild animal behaving strangely. It was not pleasant back then -- six shots in the abdomen over 6 weeks. The vaccine is much better now.

When I think of the list of tropical diseases and parasites this family could pick up without knowledge of the conditions and basic precautions, to say nothing of not having immunizations, my mind boggles. They will also be more vulnerable to all the basic childhood diseases like measles because they will not benefit from herd immunity in Zambia.

I think we decided in the last thread that Shrader does have a church sponsoring him, but it would be great if he got the wrong sort of visa and got deported for evangelizing! I love the idea of him having to be fingerprinted too. :lol:

I'm guessing that he will not want the ebil guvmint to fingerprint him. Moreover, I think he will not adhere to other Zambian requirements for entry. Finally, US passports are $80 for minors, and every, single one of the blessings MUST have one. I'll place a bet on the family not going.

Yes, outbreaks of rabies are fairly common. It is not just dogs, though, it is any mammal. I think bats are a fairly big vector for rabies in most parts of Africa. I once had to have the full course of rabies shots when a baboon appeared out of nowhere and grabbed a banana from me. It didn't bite me, just scratched my hand, but that was enough to take precautions because it was a wild animal behaving strangely. It was not pleasant back then -- six shots in the abdomen over 6 weeks. The vaccine is much better now.

Ouch poor you! Thanks for the explanations. I wondered about measles too.

John Shrader's Facebook was updated with a whole flurry of new posts in the last 24 hours. He is back from boot camp. Here is the latest news:

Praise Report!!!

Two more churches have taken us on for support in the last eight days! After starting deputation one year ago (and taking off almost two months for having a baby and our trip to Burudi), we will be wrapping up deputation soon. This is literally a miracle. Praying about being on the field by October or November depending on timing with Visas, etc.! Please keep us in your prayers, we just want the Will of the Lord in all this. We truly need your prayers as we step out by faith, trusting God to do what is needed to get us to the field. Excited!

Gah! I hope the "Will of the Lord" is that the kids stay safe because their parents aren't that concerned about them.

Is it possible that it is not just us at FJ who are really concerned about these idiots? The Reas and Shraders went to a missionary boot camp specially set up just for them. Some other former missionaries have set up reachingbeyondborders.org to train people like John and David about some of the realities.

At least it is something.

It looked as though they all had fun playacting and roleplaying on this quite well organized camping trip. Even the women (excuse me while I faint) practiced driving off road! They also learned how to camp, purify water, "catch," slaughter and roast a pig, and cook lentils over a fire. They learned how to go through a military check point and practiced "emergencies." And they hiked a bit.

I did not understand the pig catching exercise, although I guess it taught them how to slaughter and gut an animal. I hope they don't make a practice of chasing animals around in Africa to make dinner. Catching a domesticated pig in the USA (it took them two hours :lol: ) is one thing. Hunting down wild life is another. An African wild boar is not at all like a domestic pig -- they can be very aggressive. :shock: And hunting down a local resident's goat or pig in Zambia and cooking it for dinner is definitely not a good idea!

Most of the Facebook posts about boot camp are predictable. Here is a sample of how onerous they found it:

Missionary Boot Camp Day 4: The last picture I posted and this one are from the 4th day, when our wives were "medically evacuated" and we were completely responsible for watching the children, cooking, washing the clothes in the creek, etc.

Alatheia is helping make tortillas!

Shock and horror! The men were left in charge of the children and had to wash clothes in a stream.

On the medical training: there is a gross picture of John's efforts at suturing a ham hock. I hope he never has to suture up a person.

After all this hard work and roughing it camping it was lucky John had remembered his accordion.

Sharon Bailgoat The accordion must have been a salve for weary god warrior ears. Amen™

Where did people see Esther is pregnant again? If she is all I can think is poor woman she just delivered their last child a little over 5 months ago.

I think all talk of Esther being pregnant is speculation. She has had 8 children in 10 years and the youngest is about 6 months, so everyone is kind of expecting an announcement within the next 6 months...

My hope is that she will get pregnant before they leave, so either they will delay for awhile, or John will leave Esther and the kids with family and go alone.

Yes, I think it is just speculation that Esther is pregnant again. I doubt it will be long though before she announces the next Blessing is on the way.

Yes, the boot camp is in Missouri. I put the link in my last post. Also, I just noticed that a "Dr. Waller" gave the medical training. Anyone know who that is?

And I now have an earworm because of thinking about John Shrader and wild boars. Anyone else familiar with Flanders and Swann's Bestiary? A very bad rendition of the Wild Boar on Youtube because I can't find the original:

And the lyrics:

"If you hear a loud 'whoosh'

In the African bush

And an animal comes to the fore,

Who is basically pig

But more hairy and big

You will know you have met with a Boar. Snort. [or John Shrader]

You are glued to the spot;

Will he kill you or not?

No need to have fears about that.

Now he's made you stand fast,

And you're cornered at last,

All he wants is a nice little chat. [About God!]

But don't be misled;

Soon you'll wish you were dead,

That instead he was after your gore,

For Oh, Oh what a bore he is, what a thundering thumping bore!

In monotonous grunts he will tell you of hunts

Where for days he'd eluded the field,

He will tell you his sow should be farrowing now

And enlarge on her annual yield. [Poor Esther]

He will say with an air, that for brushing the hair

His bristle's the elegant thing,

And proudly confide they are after his hide

For no less a man than a King.

Then a joke he will try as you stifle a sigh

And deny that you've heard it before,

Thinking Oh, Oh what a bore he is, what a thundering thumping bore!

As you laugh at his jokes (Ha ha ha ha ha ha)

'I'm a popular bloke', he will think.

When you're ready to burst,

Then 'Hello there!' he'll cry

To each poor passer-by

The ones that have not seen him first. [And know how to avoid evangelists]

For on sight of the beast they will run to the east,

And the north and the west and the south,

And long for the day when his head's on a tray,

With an lemon to stop up his mouth.

They shout as they run;

'He's an excellent son,

And a wonderful fellow, We're sure!'

But Oh, Oh what a bore he is, what a thundering thumping,

Down-in-the-dump-ing

(Grunt grunt grunt grunt)

Thumping bore!"

More from John Shrader's Facebook on the Missionary Boot Camp. It is supposed to be a 3 week camp but Rea and Shrader are in a hurry as usual. I'm not clear on the religious affiliation of Reaching Beyond Borders. Is it also Biblical Baptist and training renegades like Rea and Shrader or affiliated with a legitimate mission organization?

Final Reflections on Missionary Boot Camp:

God used this in our family's lives in a powerful way. We received training from veteran missionaries, doctors, military men, mechanics, and other pastors. We received challenges...physical, mental, stressful, emotional, and most importantly spiritual. Testimonies were shared of the hardships others have endured, and the sacrifices God has asked them to make, as well as sufferings they have been allowed to go through. Words cannot describe all that we experienced, were taught, and what God did in this past week. Suffice it to say that many sacrifices were made on our behalf by many precious people, and we truly thank each and every one of them for the effort and giving of themselves to allow our family to go through this as preparation for the field. Reaching Beyond Borders (reachingbeyondborders.org/) is a tremendous ministry run by former missionary and now pastor Matt Stahlman and his family to prepare young people and families for ministry in third world countries. If you are praying about missions or know someone who is, please tell them of this incredible ministry. The camps are normally three weeks in length, this was a special camp for our families. Brother Matt and Sister Cathy are a precious couple, who have a sweet servants spirit along with their four children. It is awesome that we as Biblical Baptists have an opportunity like this. To God be the glory!

So many precious people with "servants spirit [sic]" are helping the Reas and Shraders on their ill-conceived mission. And "testimonies were shared"! Perhaps Shrader reads the Maxwells. :lol:

Edit to break link

According to the boot camp web site, there are already 20 IFB missionaries in Zambia, so it ain't as if Saint John is breaking new ground.

According to the boot camp web site, there are already 20 IFB missionaries in Zambia, so it ain't as if Saint John is breaking new ground.

Where did you see that? I totally missed it. Can you link to the exact page? Thanks in advance.

All I can say is -- if there are 20 ignorant IFB Reas or Shraders (and families) galloping and proselytizing around Zambia then may the gods (that I don't believe in) protect Zambia from their incursions. They are maggots in Zambia.

And may the Zambian government clamp down on these incursions by individual parasitical IFB idiots very soon.

Disclaimer: I'd prefer non-religious NGOs, but think legitimate Christian missions are OK, with reservations, in my opinion. But only if they have genuine skills and concrete non-religious knowledge to share and keep proselytizing to a minimum. So far, Rea and Shrader have not told me that they have anything of value to share in Zambia. I do not consider Biblical Baptist crap worth sharing anywhere. Let alone in a developing mostly Christian already country.

:::Sighs:::

I think it's interesting the John hasn't posted any pictures of his time in Burundi. Lots of pics from before and after he left, but nothing during.

I think it's interesting the John hasn't posted any pictures of his time in Burundi. Lots of pics from before and after he left, but nothing during.

Maybe he was just in vegas the whole time....

Maybe he was just in vegas the whole time....

I could easily see him lying about the whole thing, based on his personality.

Archived