IGNORED

Sunshine Mary warns childless women will become mentally ill

snuggles911

She's even posted a photo of sad, lonely seniors at a nursing home to prove her point as if people with children never end up at nursing homes.

Or you could have a child like Steve Maxwell and still end up sad and lonely in a nursing home :geek:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood why some women care so deeply about other women's reproductive choices. If a woman doesn't want children, isn't it better that she not have them?

Is SSM unhappy with the idea of having had children? Does she regret sacrificing her career for them? Isn't she happy with her kids? Then how is THAT not selfish, to have wanted children and had them, regardless of the state the world's in, just to make herself happy?

I worked at a nursing home for 2 years and most of my residents (especially the sad, tired looking ones) had children. And their children never came to visit them. Most of the mentally ill residents I cared for had children (if they were women). Only one of my residents had no children and she was mentally stable, just had a bad heart.

Sunshine Mary needs to stop pulling shit out of her ass. :cray-cray: (I almost typed head, but it's the same thing, isn't it?)

I worked at a nursing home for 2 years and most of my residents (especially the sad, tired looking ones) had children. And their children never came to visit them. Most of the mentally ill residents I cared for had children (if they were women). Only one of my residents had no children and she was mentally stable, just had a bad heart.

Sunshine Mary needs to stop pulling shit out of her ass. :cray-cray: (I almost typed head, but it's the same thing, isn't it?)

Some residents of nursing homes aren't even elderly. My sister is in one. Her daughter isn't even in high school and lives several hours away with her dad. So yeah, her daughter rarely visits her.

SSM can kiss it. She's an idiot.

My mother's ongoing battle with mental illness began years after having my little sister. Her mental health affected both my sister and I a great deal. At 25, I have finally begun to heal form the years of verbal/ emotional and physical abuse as well as having to watch my mother lose herself. My mother is burdened from the memories of those years, it brings her a lot of pain.

Knowing that mental illness runs in my family, I feel my choice not to have children is far from selfish.

Go fuck youself Mary.

My mother's ongoing battle with mental illness began years after having my little sister. Her mental health affected both my sister and I a great deal. At 25, I have finally begun to heal form the years of verbal/ emotional and physical abuse as well as having to watch my mother lose herself. My mother is burdened from the memories of those years, it brings her a lot of pain.

Knowing that mental illness runs in my family, I feel my choice not to have children is far from selfish.

Go fuck youself Mary.

That's also true for me, as mental illness runs in my family, and my dad's family is extremely fucked up due to untreated bipolar disorder. After my SIL went through really bad PPD, she and my brother decided they were done after having my niece, and I think that's far from selfish because the depression was so bad, she was suicidal. For me, my choice to remain child-free is nowhere near selfish, as I think the risk of having a bipolar child, or a child on the autism spectrum is too much for me.

So in this post Sunshine Mary demonstrates specific ignorance of:

-Evolution

-Biology

-The history of humans voluntarily removing themselves from the gene pool

-The difference between a "religion" and a "scientific theory"

-The meaning of the word "euphemism"

I think that's bingo, folks.

Do you have children? If not, you must be narcissistic, according to Sunshine Mary at sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com. What's worse, you will likely become mentally ill and you are surely headed toward spending your last days alone, in a nursing home.

Perhaps she could explain to the rest of us how it is that she had children and she's never had both oars in the water.

My humble opinion, of course.

Still childfree, and loving it. :lol:

I do remember reading a fairly reputable study years ago that showed that while men do add years to their lives if they are in a successful marriage, women actually do not. A lot of communities of Roman Catholic nuns have been followed for long enough to show if mental illness were really linked to not having children. As I recall, that is not one of the health correlations that has been isolated for further study.

Sunshine needs to stick it wear the sun don't shine. I hate it when fundies start babbling in pseudoscience.

Wow, this idea that some people won't have kids is really setting off the fundie set! Shitstain Mary, Lori Alexander is a Fucking Monster, the Stinking Lousewife, etc.

That's also true for me, as mental illness runs in my family, and my dad's family is extremely fucked up due to untreated bipolar disorder. After my SIL went through really bad PPD, she and my brother decided they were done after having my niece, and I think that's far from selfish because the depression was so bad, she was suicidal. For me, my choice to remain child-free is nowhere near selfish, as I think the risk of having a bipolar child, or a child on the autism spectrum is too much for me.

I also don't want to have biological children for fear of passing on my mental illness. I've had severe depression most of my life and I found out recently that my dad has too. He's had about 40 years of feeling suicidal. Since my treatment providers failed to find a reason I should be so depressed (no abuse or anything else like that), they ended up deciding that there's probably just a strong genetic component to my problems. I would hate to pass that on to a child. I would maybe consider adoption or having children with a partner who is willing to be pregnant, but I feel strongly that I shouldn't pass on my own genes.

So, it's not like there's a form of mental illness that happens specifically to new mothers, right? Right?

She is cordially invited to go fuck herself, and you'll pry my anxiety/depression meds out of my cold, dead hands. (No worries, anybody, I am not suicidal, I got help before I got to that point. I love my medication. Great stuff. That's the point.) My need for such has nothing to do with my not having reproduced, more likely to a family history of depression and/or bipolar issues.

Of course in fundieville due to a congenital condition I have I know I wouldn't be marriage material anyway, as in pregnancy in and of itself would have been...interesting...when I was 20, let alone now that I'm in my late 30s. And I really don't want kids anyway. I enjoy other people's. I would be a terrible, awful, horrible fundie, as I also haaaaaate housework, which is the only thing they would think I am useful for.

I would hate to see what she would say to an infertile woman. How many children someone does or does not have is a nunya (as in nunya business) thing.

According to SSM and her darling commenters, infertility is almost always caused by (you guessed it!) feminism and careers:

SSM: one out of every four American women ends her reproductive years without giving birth. Are you seriously implying that one out of four women comes into this world infertile? That’s absurd.

Other commenter: Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Abortion scars, Waiting til too old……yup, not born that way.

I don't have children because I'm not a narcissist. i care more for the children i didnt have, so to speak, because i chose not to be their mother. I had a crazy mother and I've always been unstable emotionally. I know I would not want to subject anyone, let alone a human being I chose to bring into the world, to my instability.

It is a horrible thing to grow up neglected. I see that happening in the QF families.

She is cordially invited to go fuck herself, and you'll pry my anxiety/depression meds out of my cold, dead hands. (No worries, anybody, I am not suicidal, I got help before I got to that point. I love my medication. Great stuff. That's the point.) My need for such has nothing to do with my not having reproduced, more likely to a family history of depression and/or bipolar issues.

Of course in fundieville due to a congenital condition I have I know I wouldn't be marriage material anyway, as in pregnancy in and of itself would have been...interesting...when I was 20, let alone now that I'm in my late 30s. And I really don't want kids anyway. I enjoy other people's. I would be a terrible, awful, horrible fundie, as I also haaaaaate housework, which is the only thing they would think I am useful for.

QFT ELEVENITY!!!!!!

Also, the whole lack of motherhood causing depression: my first realization I had depression I was TEN. I'm sure I was depressed as young as seven or eight. I got my first period when I was 12. SM and her ilk can stuff it where the sun don't shine :lol:

QFT ELEVENITY!!!!!!

Also, the whole lack of motherhood causing depression: my first realization I had depression I was TEN. I'm sure I was depressed as young as seven or eight. I got my first period when I was 12. SM and her ilk can stuff it where the sun don't shine :lol:

Yeah, by her logic I should have taken weird hormones, gone out and gotten sexually abused, and wound up conceiving a child at 8 to have a baby before depression hit for the first time at 9. Because that's totally not damaging in the slightest.

It's really reassuring reading this thread and earring about people becoming depressed at an early age. I thought it was abnormal for it to happen at 12.

But to echo everyone here, my grandpa had mental health issues, my mom had them, And even though I had them to a lesser degree (thank goodness), I certainly don't plan on passing that down.

According to SSM and her darling commenters, infertility is almost always caused by (you guessed it!) feminism and careers:

I have three female relatives who struggled with infertility during their childbearing years. One of the women was eventually able to carry two pregnancies to term after multiple surgeries and many years of trying to conceive. The other two were never able to have children. All three women were conservative Republicans who married in their twenties. Each devoted herself to homemaking and dreaming of the day when their homes would be filled with children.

So tell me Mary, what horrible sin did two of the women commit to deserve their ongoing infertility? Was the the third woman a better Christian and that's why she eventually was able to conceive and carry two pregnancies to term? Really, I want you and your mean little friends to explain to me why women who did everything right, according to your standards, still struggled with infertility. Could it be that you and your nasty little friends don't have all the answers about why some people are infertile while others conceive easily?

I have no desire for children of my own, but It really pisses me off when people like SSM go after people dealing with infertility. :angry-fire:

Are we absolutely certain that someone hasn't hi-jacked Sunshine Mary's identity (other than Sunshine Gary haha) to write this blog? Her latest post is an almost manic response to a fluff piece in the daily mail. I accept the article she has herself in a mess over is trash but it wasn't exactly pretending to be anything else. It is the kind of thing most rational people would roll their eyes at, perhaps have a giggle at and then move on.

So tell me Mary, what horrible sin did two of the women commit to deserve their ongoing infertility? Was the the third woman a better Christian and that's why she eventually was able to conceive and carry two pregnancies to term? Really, I want you and your mean little friends to explain to me why women who did everything right, according to your standards, still struggled with infertility. Could it be that you and your nasty little friends don't have all the answers about why some people are infertile while others conceive easily?

I have no desire for children of my own, but It really pisses me off when people like SSM go after people dealing with infertility. :angry-fire:

But if you accept that bad things can happen to good people through no fault of their own, then that means that... oh god... bad things might happen to YOU. And if you're a mental Jenga tower like Sunshine Mary and her fans, such ideas are unbearable.

Archived