IGNORED

Sunshine Mary warns childless women will become mentally ill

snuggles911

Do you have children? If not, you must be narcissistic, according to Sunshine Mary at sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com. What's worse, you will likely become mentally ill and you are surely headed toward spending your last days alone, in a nursing home.

She is very concerned about the trend toward women, including married women, choosing not to reproduce. Indeed, it's our duty as women to have children, according to Sunshine Mary.

Christians who actually follow the Bible believe that most women’s primary concern will be serving their husbands and caring for their children. We understand that a woman who voluntarily chooses not to have children is generally going against her God-given nature and calling, unless she is part of that small group of women whom God chooses to fulfill other purposes. We understand that voluntary childlessness without a God-given calling to it will warp a woman’s personality, causing her to become unhealthily self-focused.

Atheists aren't excused either, especially if they believe in evolution.

But what if one is not religious? Does a woman choosing to be childless (now euphemistically called child-free) make sense as just another lifestyle choice for these women? No, it does not. If one is an atheist or agnostic, one almost certainly believes in the entire Darwinian religious creed of the origin of the human species from the same common ancestors as all other life via evolution. But how then can remaining childless make any sense at all? The urge to reproduce must be intense – and in women, this is not the same urge as men have, which is primarily an urge for sexual intercourse. In women, the desire to nurture offspring is (as it must be, under the Darwinian religion) innate and indeed, the entire focus of life. A woman without this strong drive being biologically built in would not reproduce and would be weeded out of the gene pool very quickly.

Bad things will happen if you don't reproduce

Given that it is so very unnatural for women not to have husbands and children to care for, it takes an enormous amount of cognitive energy to maintain emotional equilibrium in that state. I predict that we are going to see increasing rates of depression and other mental illnesses in older women as these trends continue. Not only will women suffer the ill effects of remaining childless but because many of them will not be married, they will also have infrequent sexual intercourse as they hit middle age without a husband and their youthful beauty has faded. These two factors will cause women to try to assuage their misery by becoming even more self-involved and materialistic; the emptiness of a life spent chasing after momentary, meaningless pleasure and vanity will ultimately be revealed in large numbers of older women who are depressed or otherwise mentally unstable.

She's even posted a photo of sad, lonely seniors at a nursing home to prove her point as if people with children never end up at nursing homes.

I've only lurked on he blog up to this point. But, as someone who provides social services to families who have chosen to have children and don't have the emotional and/or financial resources to properly provide for them, I'm tempted to write my first post. I just need to wait until I calm down.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So by her thinking, if I had children at or before age 14, I wouldn't have had issues with depression/bipolar when I was 15? Since childlessness = mentally ill, this is the only explanation that possibly makes any sense. :roll:

If anything, going with the life choice you wanted most (children or no children) would be more likely to contribute to a BETTER mindset, right? I'm not saying happily childfree women never have issues, but it's a hell of a lot better than having kids you didn't want.

And she's the first to comment on her own blog posting

I want to be clear: there may be a few unusual women who are genetically abnormal and who do not possess a maternal instinct. These women are right not to have children.

I'm sure glad she's knows that not only will I develop a mental illness, but I also have a genetic abnormality. But at least she agrees with my decision to not have children, so I guess there's that.

If anything, going with the life choice you wanted most (children or no children) would be more likely to contribute to a BETTER mindset, right? I'm not saying happily childfree women never have issues, but it's a hell of a lot better than having kids you didn't want.

Exactly! I have nothing but respect for women who chose to not have kids. Why on earth, except fundie land would someone feel otherwise? :think:

Gods of Darwin, this is such fail.

A failure of mental health knowledge.

A failure at Atheist women.

A failure at evolution. I just wanted to stab a fork at something for the tern Darwain religion. No one worships Darwin. Atheists do not have temples were they sacrifice cute babies and lambs in the name of Darwin.

Just an all around fail, then again, this is shitstain, so what else is new?

Christians who actually follow the Bible believe that most women’s primary concern will be serving their husbands and caring for their children. We understand that a woman who voluntarily chooses not to have children is generally going against her God-given nature and calling, unless she is part of that small group of women whom God chooses to fulfill other Given that it is so very unnatural for women not to have husbands and children to care for, it takes an enormous amount of cognitive energy to maintain emotional equilibrium in that state. I predict that we are going to see increasing rates of depression and other mental illnesses in older women as these trends continue. Not only will women suffer the ill effects of remaining childless but because many of them will not be married, they will also have infrequent sexual intercourse as they hit middle age without a husband and their youthful beauty has faded. These two factors will cause women to try to assuage their misery by becoming even more self-involved and materialistic; the emptiness of a life spent chasing after momentary, meaningless pleasure and vanity will ultimately be revealed in large numbers of older women who are depressed or otherwise mentally unstable.

This is rich.

I was married, had three children in rapid succession, felt my sanity becoming questionable, discovered my husband was cheating on me, and divorced him. Since then I have become quite firm in my desire never to have another child and never to get married again. This has actually been quite a calming thing for my psyche. I am in control of my life and my children's -- to the degree that anyone can be in control, that is -- and I'm not even seeking to assuage any misery. My misery came from being married to a dickhead who didn't believe it was God's will for us to use birth control and didn't believe it necessary to respect me or our marriage. I'm actually free to pursue higher education, new hobbies, and volunteer opportunities.

I do sometimes pursue sex with other people, though the BOB is quite *ahem * handy most of the time, pun intended.

Maybe I'm not old enough yet for the true mental instability and loneliness to have set in?

I self identify as a Christian. I do not know what "following the Bible" is supposed to mean, and I don't want kids. Can someone point me to which gang colors I am supposed to fly?

Apparently, in SSM's part of the space/time continuum, the church I grew up in has been taken over by radical, childless, mentally ill women. At least, that is the only way I can explain their teaching of the purpose of a Christian (man or woman) is to love their fellow man and grow closer to God. Spouse and children optional, but not necessary for fulfilling your purpose. :roll:

My mother is mentally ill and had four children. How is that possible? :think:

And so is Sunshine Mary. Explain that one. :angry-banghead:

(ETA: I am not being snarky. I think this woman has some serious emotional and mental health issues. No one could hate themselves this much if she did not).

I would hate to see what she would say to an infertile woman. How many children someone does or does not have is a nunya (as in nunya business) thing.

My brother-in-law is the oldest of three. His mother is so mentally ill that his aunts did most of the work raising him and his brothers. His mother is unable to live or function on her own. Her illness really took hold after her 2nd was born - so having kids helped her so very much! :?

And my sister has a husband to care for (dude seriously has stopped even putting his dishes in the dishwasher lately - wtf) and a 16 month old. She is horribly depressed but thinks that she's supposed to be happy because she has a baby. :angry-banghead: Marriage and children are not cure-alls! Otherwise, there would be a hell of a lot more babies around.

I want to smack SM back to the 14th century where she belongs. And add me to the group of people that should have apparently been married and having kids by about 13 because that's when severe depression first took its hold on me. (Says the single 34 year old who has desperately wanted kids her entire life.)

The more I read ShitStain's blog, the more I'm convinced she should truncate that Bible quote at the top of the page: "For I determined not to know anything."

I don't know why I bother to read SM's thread because s/he's an idiot, but I shall respond to this dipshit this time.

There is not a religion called Darwin or Darwinism. Charles Darwin is just one of several scientists who came up with what is now known as the theory of evolution. The concept of scientific theory or what the scientific method even is likely eludes you as it does many creationists. I understand the concept of creation theory, but it's a doctrine entirely based on the principles of an ancient book, which cannot be proven scientifically and in many instances has zero lack of evidence and is at odds with reality.

One thing you are right about is that lack of reproduction means eventually death of a species, but few species die off from lack of reproduction. There are far more factors at hand that lead to extinction than simply not having babies. Humans, however, are not at risk of extinction at all. At the top of the food chain and with the greatest intelligence, we are very adaptable to change and have exploited many resources for our benefit and betterment of our survival. As a result of our advancement in civilization, we have found ways to control our lives and that include antibiotics, vaccines, surgery, transplants, breathing treatments, and birth control. The more advanced the society and the better educated the women are, the less children a society will produce. People are still having children, even if they are having less children overall in the first world. Second and third world countries tend to have the highest reproduction rates due to lack of education and lack of resources for family planning. Humans, like all creatures, have a drive for sex, which means reproduction will continue.

When a population has high amounts and lack of predators, the competition for food and resources grows. If it continues, famine will result. As humans, we have advanced ourselves to produce higher yields of crops to help prevent famines that cost many their lives in the past. All that food in the store you buy, you can thank evolutionary science for that. Overall, humans do have a drive to reproduce and the majority of humans do and will. A handful of people not having children or only one child is not going to decrease the population significantly at all. In fact it will hardly put a dent in it. We have policies for animals when it comes to endangerment of a species or when there become too many. Humans are not exempt from risk of overpopulation and the dangers it has posed and continues to pose to so many everyday. Several people will die today, including many children, from malnutrition and starvation.

No, killing people is not the answer, but using common sense and making sure the children you bring into this world are loved and cared for so they will turn out to be good people and productive citizens is important. Creating undereducated children on purpose is doing a great disservice to this world and puts an unneeded burden on society. It's important that capable adults of a society help those capable. Why continue to have baby after baby without a care to its future or needs, adding on the burden of an already burdened world, when you can help by giving resources to people who struggle to care for their own offspring and had to give them up as a result or consider providing a home and family to a few children without one. There's an estimated one million children across the globe who are in need of a family with about 200,000 children available for adoption in the US foster care system alone.

Personally, I do want children. I always have. I'd love to open my home one day to a few children and provide them a family. I do have anxiety and depression issues and OCD though, so not sure I'd be allowed to adopt honestly. They're quite picky about mental illness. I've considered becoming a foster parent down the road, but again there's a high chance I will be unable to do so. I think children deserve homes where they are loved and cared for and where the parents want the very best in life for them. Growing with a loving parent(s) is important for children. If someone doesn't want a children, it's better they don't have them.

Also, I have had mental health issues since I was 5/6, so I'd like the reason beyond that since I was obviously unable to breed at that age or for several more years. Nice reasoning. Sometimes having children can make things better in terms of illnesses, but it can also make things much worse. There's no way to know how pregnancy will affect someone's health, mental/emotional or physical.

In women, the desire to nurture offspring is (as it must be, under the Darwinian religion) innate and indeed, the entire focus of life. A woman without this strong drive being biologically built in would not reproduce and would be weeded out of the gene pool very quickly.

So, by her own logic, isn't this what is happening? Women who don't want to have kids are being weeded out of the gene pool. In only 1 more generation, we should have this whole problem licked, right? :lol:

So I guess in Shitstain Mary's alternate reality, Andrea Yeats never had postpartum psychosis after having too many children with under-treated depression because her fundie husband told her to keep reproducing, because women with children don't suffer from mental illness. So in SM's reality those kids must be alive, right?

So by her thinking, if I had children at or before age 14, I wouldn't have had issues with depression/bipolar when I was 15? Since childlessness = mentally ill, this is the only explanation that possibly makes any sense. :roll:

Oh. Well, I should have had a kid at 12, then? And what about the depression and anxiety well AFTER my kids were born? Logic. She no haz it.

YES!!! If I had had a child at 12, I wouldn't have spiraled downward at 13 and spent the next ten years miserable with depression, anxiety, and panic disorder! Sunshine Mary has discovered the cure, you guys! Because women who have kids NEVER suffer from mental illness, EVER! I mean, look at Andrea Yates...um,wait...

Gods of Darwin, this is sucha fail.

A failure at evolution. I just wanted to stab a fork at something for the tern Darwain religion. No one worships Darwin. Atheists do not have temples were they sacrifice cute babies and lambs in the name of Darwin.

?

Ooh! Ooh! Let's build a Temple of Darwin with an attached Abortionplex! We can sacrifice cute furry critters and have face painting and pony rides!

So what about people like nuns? According to Mary here, they're pretty much screwed for life too.

I'd be more mentally unbalanced if I did have kids

Archived