IGNORED

GOMI WTH?

laura oz

I just looked at the nienie cjane thread over there.

That thread is disturbing :shock:

Wow. That really is disturbing. Yikes. Some of those comments seem to come from some very sick minds, to be charitable. :oops:

Wow. That really is disturbing. Yikes. Some of those comments seem to come from some very sick minds, to be charitable. :oops:

Agreed. It's always difficult to define snark but using it as an excuse to be downright disgusting and pretty evil is disturbing. The snark here can go down the ludicrous -pick apart- every- minute- detail- and make stuff up- or put inference -on every little thing type. Pretty sure though I've never seen anybody suggest somebodies kids should drown (no matter what the context..wrong.) The amount of nastiness thrown around in the guise of caring for 'the children,'

is plain lying. The amount of gay inference about one certain child is horrific.

I'm not a fan of Nie's blog at all. I suppose like most I read it as it was a compelling story but the level of vitriol seems disproportionate to just not liking a blogger or their choices, grifting or whatever. I honestly feel conflicted in this case when folks say oh well it's public she needs to suck it up. Sure...of course she does that's the way the web works. I don't think that is an excuse for people not to be self accountable for being plain nasty and just admit 'I'm nasty and get off on it.'

At the height of Ken's infamous visit when FJ was saying 'it's a public blog' what do you expect, nobody was actually sinking to the levels the nie haters appear to.

Very strange. I wonder why?

Yeah, I jumped around reading random posts on that thread, hoping it was maybe an a attain that people were being so gleefully vicious about the family, but it seemed to be the norm. The way they are picking apart her children in particular is really appalling. They made me think of when a mob of elementary school aged children gang up and yell horrible things to anyone who is visibly different - herd mentality at its worst.

I was getting that too, but they fixed it, it wasn't intentional, I guess??

Just guessing here because I have no inside knowledge of GOMI, obviously, but going on what I know from running FJ, if there was a notice like Lucy said in the above post it wasn't an accident. It would be my guess that they were going to try to force people to view ads or not be able to view the site at all and they were testing it out in certain parts of the forum (which is smart..that's the way I'd do it, if I was going to do it as well).

Then they got a massive blow back from people and instead of owning up to it they called it an error.

But, as I said I'm just guessing based on what I know about running this site.

FTR, unless we suddenly become unable to support the site ads will never be mandatory viewing. Right now it's not an issue for us. IF it were to become an issue, I'd just tell people and I suspect that some people that currently block ads would unblock them when visiting here and we wouldn't *have* to make them mandatory at all.

FJ doesn't run like most internet site though, which tends to be a bit of a double edged sword sometimes ;)

I do try to make the ads tolerable. I never used ads before the maintenance because I used the black template. Now I use Prosilver SE and the ads don't bother me at all. I also test out various ad placements and it they aren't preforming or I don't like the way they look or they bother *me,* I figure that other people don't like they way they look and they bother others so I remove them from where they are and try them some place else or just remove them altogether and try something different.

Just guessing here because I have no inside knowledge of GOMI, obviously, but going on what I know from running FJ, if there was a notice like Lucy said in the above post it wasn't an accident. It would be my guess that they were going to try to force people to view ads or not be able to view the site at all and they were testing it out in certain parts of the forum (which is smart..that's the way I'd do it, if I was going to do it as well).

Then they got a massive blow back from people and instead of owning up to it they called it an error.

But, as I said I'm just guessing based on what I know about running this site.

The notice vanished for me for a while but it's back now and someone else on the site mentioned it in the front page article comments. Until Partypants addresses the issue I am just going to file it under 'inconclusive and annoying'. My own uneducated guess would be that the front page article will be open to everyone but the forums will go 'view ads or no snark for you'.

FWIW, Curious, I appreciate the sidebar ads as they're as unobtrusive as possible. (I seem to be using the prosilver Special style.)

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I jumped around reading random posts on that thread, hoping it was maybe an a attain that people were being so gleefully vicious about the family, but it seemed to be the norm. The way they are picking apart her children in particular is really appalling. They made me think of when a mob of elementary school aged children gang up and yell horrible things to anyone who is visibly different - herd mentality at its worst.

For all the criticism I see on there about FreeJinger, I've seen a lot of the posters on GOMI guilty of what they claim to hate (ie. mob mentality, shaming users who disagree with the majority, going into unnecessary detail about the lives of bloggers). Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good discussion that goes on, but the hypocrisy really bugs me. :think:

There's a whole lot of "bitch eating crackers" syndrome on GOMI. I've been a member there for years but I NEVER post because of it. It's too bad because it would be nice to have a place to snark on blogs that wasn't so mean spirited and nasty.

I enjoy reading the Nie thread a few times a week. I have seen some really mean comments about the Nie and her family. But I like that many GOMI posters don't buy her as "inspirational blogger" and there are some Mormon posters over there who can't stand Nie at all. I also liked the thread about fundie lite blogger Ashley Lancaster, but there were some really mean comments regarding her youngest child.

Archived