IGNORED

GOMI WTH?

laura oz

I have tried to see the forums so I can be all nosy and read about the fundie bloggers, but it says the page doesn't exist. Did I miss an announcement? It sort of tickled me when they made fun of us over here at FJ, and I liked reading about DJ from Full House. The pioneer woman snark wasn't bad either. I am sadz now :cry:

I haven't been there since my anti-virus software warned me about a potential virus several months ago.

I haven't been there since my anti-virus software warned me about a potential virus several months ago.

That was in an ad that has since been removed as far as I know. A lot of forums were hit with it at the same time.

It's a very buggy site. Not entirely relevant, but I'm downsizing my snark intake to just Quiver Full of Snark and Smugnom, and avoiding regular GOMI altogether.

Do any of you have mixed feeling about GOMI? I love satire and snark, but a lot of the time I just feel...gross after reading GOMI. There are great discussions and smart people, but also just plain nastiness.

I agree. I keep up with the That Wife thread, because WTF Jenna, but sometimes get uncomfortable with the amount of information that is posted about her and TA. I know she puts it out there, for the most part, but the speculation about his salary and whatnot crosses a line for me.

I feel like I need to clarify that I'm not judging GOMI readers. I am interested in why I (and others) are drawn to it, and what crosses lines for some people. Etc.

I read the that wife thread and the kerf forums over there. They are the only place I know of to talk about kerf. I think sometimes they can get too nit picky and complain about things you would probably would not complain about unless this blogger you hate was doing it. Kind of like when you don't like someone everything they do annoys you. But I think the same can be said of a lot of forums. Overall I like the board but I pretty much stick to those two threads. The wonkiness of the board drives me nuts sometimes though

Yeah, some of the things that get hashed out in the TW thread would probably be overlooked if it were anyone else--mostly her "fashion" instagrams and love for West Elm. OK, she's not as fashionable as she thinks she is. I work part-time in retail, this applies to a great many people (myself probably included). My main sticking points with her are her bizarre parenting choices and eating habits. And her need to document every second of her life via social media, but I know people in IRL who have me scratching my head about that too.

I used to belong to a board that had a thread snarking on real people's blogs and associated board identities. Good lord, that was nothing but drama. With the exception of one fairly strange woman, whose full name was revealed on the board, very little personal information was given out, and certainly nothing that wasn't already on the internet. There was SO MUCH hand-wringing and "tattling" to the bloggers about what was really going on, and then the bloggers showing up... Yet GOMI makes that place look like a group hug, and bloggers knowing about being discussed on the site doesn't seem to slow them down at all (Jenna's internet scrub notwithstanding). Maybe because that was back in the days of LiveJournal, so people thought their blogs were more private than Jenna, who "monetizes the hate?"

ETA: I'm now a "Bathroom Baby." How appropriate that I achieve this talking about Jenna... :lol:

It's up Daisy, but slow as hell. They seem to have a lot of bugs in their site, and need to fix it. I'm not going to wait almost 5 minutes for a page to load.

I actually got into snark in general after visiting GOMI in high dudgeon as a TW groupie and realizing that they were pointing out all the things that had always bugged me about her... and KERF. KERF totally deserves snark. But yeah, I gave up reading them after a while because I felt like my outlook on life was becoming way too negative. I still wish I could visit sometimes, but knowing myself and the fact I don't need anymore Internet timesucks, I stay away.

Considering I actually discovered FJ (the yoku board) and GOMI because I used to be a daily lurker on a Mckmama snark site I'm not in any position to judge anybody on this thread. The great thing about GOMI is reading how succinctly other people express exactly what may be bugging me about certain bloggers. Sometimes things I hadn't even consciously noticed.

They are the only place I know of to talk about kerf.

I trained my husband to know of and dislike her so I can shout at home. I'm not clever enough to post on webboards frequently.

ETA: I do not mean Pearl-trained. I used words and explained things to him, not a plumbing pipe.

Another GOMI tip is to have an account and stay signed in. I don't know why but sometimes the last 2 pages of comments won't show up unless you are signed in.

Considering I actually discovered FJ (the yoku board) and GOMI because I used to be a daily lurker on a Mckmama snark site I'm not in any position to judge anybody on this thread. The great thing about GOMI is reading how succinctly other people express exactly what may be bugging me about certain bloggers. Sometimes things I hadn't even consciously noticed.

This is what I love and hate about GOMI. I love that users express this, but then it's also made me a hate reader of some of my favorite blogs. ;)

There are certain kinds of crazy on GOMI that are not covered on FJ (Art of making a baby, KERF, YHL, etc).

There are certain kinds of crazy on GOMI that are not covered on FJ (Art of making a baby, KERF, YHL, etc).

I don't know what any of those things stand for, but with the new WWoS forum, folks are free to talk about any type of bloggers here. This was sort of previously frowned on, in an unwritten rule, kind of way because we didn't really have a good place to do so.

There were periodically requests for a place to snark on mommy bloggers and stuff like that, but the previous administration felt like it would be more trouble than it was worth to monitor yet another forum.

We don't feel the same way about several things (obviously), hence the split of chatter into 2 separate forums for more personal discussions and one for anything off topic (for snark).

I'm not trying to say don't go to GOMI because I do not care. I think that while we are similar types of sites and likely have many members/lurkers in common neither site is going to be a perfect fit for all people and we both serve a purpose. I'm just saying, if you want to talk about those topics here, you now have the ability to do so.

Another GOMI tip is to have an account and stay signed in. I don't know why but sometimes the last 2 pages of comments won't show up unless you are signed in.

This is what I love and hate about GOMI. I love that users express this, but then it's also made me a hate reader of some of my favorite blogs. ;)

Kind of off-topic, but that's what I love about FJ! People write what I've been thinking about certain subjects, or certain bloggers. In real life, everyone just gives me a blank look when I start talking about fundies or quiverfull (and no one wants to believe that's a thing).

It's a very buggy site. Not entirely relevant, but I'm downsizing my snark intake to just Quiver Full of Snark and Smugnom, and avoiding regular GOMI altogether.

Do any of you have mixed feeling about GOMI? I love satire and snark, but a lot of the time I just feel...gross after reading GOMI. There are great discussions and smart people, but also just plain nastiness.

I use it as a compiler of blogs to read. A few of the threads I agree with, but many are either entirely unfounded, entirely too picky or just hateful, or a mix of all three. If I registered I'd be WKing all over the place,

I think.

Is it buggy because the threads are so long? That small Kelle Hampton thread is 1000 pages.

I mostly read the GOMI threads on NieNie and Kelle Hampton. I like the site, but it tech problems happen quite a bit. Has the Kelle Hampton thread ever been snipped? I recall some of the early posts of the NieNie thread were removed.

I don't know what any of those things stand for, {snip}

I didn't know KERF until the boycott of her blog but I subscribed to SmugNom because it ticks three of my boxes:

-snark

-humour

-rage-reading

I can laugh and get my mindless rage on.

What drives me nuts about GOMI is all of the talk of kittens, "so sorry, so fat," Franzia, ham, and those awful GIFs. I'm glad FreeJinger isn't so gimmicky.

• 9 months later...

Thought I might as well resurrect this thread as the title is still apt.

I use AdBlockPlus for nearly all sites I visit (not FJ or others I actively want to support), and especially for GOMI, because the little ticker usually shows 9-12 ads blocked per page. Yesterday, a few ads started creeping through, and I manually blocked them multiple times, mostly because I couldn't figure out why they were repeatedly returning.

Today I find I can't even read parts of the site anymore without getting a little note saying 'Please disable ad/javascript blocking software for getoffmyinternets.net and clear your cookies to access the GOMI Forums.'

Being GOMI, of course, it doesn't appear consistently. I swear I've never been on a buggier forum. But I guess I won't be there anymore because no way am I letting eye-melting flashing ads for shoes and summer dresses take over my browser.

(A few ads down the sides of the page, or a polite explanation (the way Fark does it) about how it's important for revenue and they put in a lot of time making sure the ads aren't disruptive or intrusive - sure, I'll turn ABP off. But not for this.)

I was getting that too, but they fixed it, it wasn't intentional, I guess??

I just looked at the nienie cjane thread over there.

That thread is disturbing :shock:

Archived