IGNORED

Schwandt Family-13th Baby is also a boy! MERGED

0 kids n not countin

Did anyone see this story yet? I really hope this is a "normal" family and the boys aren't like the Arndts boys and the parents aren't like Mama & Papa Arndt.

It’s a boy! Again.

Kateri and Jay Schwandt of Rockford, Mich., welcomed their 12th baby into the family last week. A brood of now — count 'em — 12 boys.

“We didn't know what he would be when he was first born,†a smiling Kateri Schwandt told the local NBC News station. “We don't find out. It's always a boy, but it's always a surprise."

Tucker Ray Schwandt was born on Aug. 4 — the newest sibling among the other boys ranging in age up to 21 years old.

Tucker's 11 older brothers rushed into their mother's room at St. Mary’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, Mich., to greet their newest brother.

"I never imagined I'd be sitting here with my 12th child," Jay Schwandt, said.

The proud parents told the station they had been hoping for a girl, but this time, like the past 11 times, it was not to be.

"I'm sure a little girl probably would be fun, but we know what we're doing. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a locker room," Kateri Schwandt said. She certainly has enough sons to form a football team.

The family's oldest son, Ty, said there are benefits to being part of such a large family.

"I know how to manage time and manage a schedule and make sure kids get where they need to be and get picked up when mom forgets every now and then," he said.

Amazingly, dad Jay says he’s not opposed to having more kids. He says maybe the 13th “will be the charm†that gets the family a girl.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this on Yahoo-and sincrely hope they don't have their Famteam website too.

This is weird, even the last name sounds similar. Schwandt. Arndt. Maybe they can follow the Arndt's footsteps and try to figure out how to cash in on all this attention. I figure by now Rick Arndt must have made at least $10-$11 from all his famteam ventures.

I figure by now Rick Arndt must have made at least $10-$11 from all his famteam ventures.

:lol:

This is weird, even the last name sounds similar. Schwandt. Arndt. Maybe they can follow the Arndt's footsteps and try to figure out how to cash in on all this attention. I figure by now Rick Arndt must have made at least $10-$11 from all his famteam ventures.

I about choked to death on my water when I read that. :lol: It is so true.

Oh yes they should definitely keep trying for a girl. Because being one girl surrounded by fundie male brothers has been so emotionally healthy for Wizzie Arndt.

This family lives near me. No they don't have a website or anything like that. Just a LARGE catholic family. Seems very normal other than a lot of kids.

This family lives near me. No they don't have a website or anything like that. Just a LARGE catholic family. Seems very normal other than a lot of kids.

I was going to guess they were Catholic since mom's name is Kateri.

They were on the Today Show this morning. The Duggars might be in for some competition.

Apparently one of them has a sister with 10 boys, so there may be something genetic going on (didn't say if it was the sister to the husband or to the wife).

I have never heard of the name Kateri, and my mom comes from a large Catholic family. Is it a diminutive to something?

They were on the Today Show this morning. The Duggars might be in for some competition.

Apparently one of them has a sister with 10 boys, so there may be something genetic going on (didn't say if it was the sister to the husband or to the wife).

Men determine the sex of the child, so that would only work if it was his brother.

I have never heard of the name Kateri, and my mom comes from a large Catholic family. Is it a diminutive to something?

Kateri Tekakwitha is a Roman Catholic saint. I believe she is the first Native American to achieve sainthood, and she was only recently canonized. I've known three Kateris and they were all from devout RCC families.

Men determine the sex of the child, so that would only work if it was his brother.

Right, but the acidity of the woman's womb can affect which sperm reach the egg first, male or female.

Kateri Tekakwitha is a Roman Catholic saint. I believe she is the first Native American to achieve sainthood, and she was only recently canonized. I've known three Kateris and they were all from devout RCC families.

Interesting, thanks!

I thought so too...Grand Rapids is my home town and a friend of mine that's (very) Catholic shared an article about them today...then the "Kateri" cinched it ;) Makes me glad for the kids. My family is Catholic, but the kind that very much believes in birth control, but I did know plenty of big Catholic families growing up, and despite not having as much money to spare, the kids basically were like any other kids--public or sometimes Catholic school, sports, dances, boyfriends/girlfriends college, etc. they seemed to fare MUCH better than the fundie-mega families I knew growing up (Grand Rapids has a lot of those too!)

Right, but the acidity of the woman's womb can affect which sperm reach the egg first, male or female.

My cousin had 5 girls and no boys and her doctor said the likelihood of XX or XY conception was related to conditions in the cervix. People tend to think of the male's contribution to conception as being active and the female's passive, however that may be an overly simplistic view.

Anecdotal of course, but my maternal grandmother came from a family that was very dominantly female (5 sisters, one brother nicknamed "Sissy" :think: ), had 4 daughters and one son herself, and ended up with 14 granddaughters and 2 grandsons and 9 great-granddaughters and 3 great-grandsons. She died a few years ago, but her first great-great grand child born last month. A girl.

She always attributed the abundance of girls to her "thinking pink" whenever someone was pregnant, but maybe genetics can cause conditions that can tend to swing things in one direction vs the other.

There was a family in the town where I live that had 12 sons. All 12 sons and the father were the same height (6' forget the inches) and all wore size 12 shoes. There was a picture of them in the newspaper several years ago.

I saw this on MSN. My husband and I want a girl, and I asked him how many boys before we give up for a girl. He just stared at me when I read the article and then asked if we were going to have 11 more (we already have one son) boys, lol. :P

It was actually the mother's sister that had the 10 boys. Incredibly scary thought to have that many of any one gender.

I have a friend on another message board who went to school with them. She said that the husband wasn't very religious growing up, but the wife was, and they weren't married when the first was born. Definitely not your typical fundie family.

• 1 year later...

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Boy-or-girl-Family-with-12-sons-finds-out-soon-6248384.php

Boy or girl? Family with 12 sons finds out soon about No. 13

ROCKFORD, Mich. (AP) — A western Michigan couple with 12 sons are waiting to find out whether baby No. 13 keeps the streak going.

Jay and Kateri Schwandt's baby is due Saturday, the day before Mother's Day. They're sticking to their tradition of not finding out in advance whether they're having a boy or girl.

They said they'd be shocked if the baby is a girl.

"The odds are not in our favor," Kateri Schwandt, 40, told The Grand Rapids Press (http://bit.ly/1caghwk ). She said she doesn't have her heart set on having a girl this time.

"It doesn't matter at this point," she said. "If we had a little girl, that would be neat. But I would be just as happy if we had a little boy."

The Schwandts live Rockford, which is north of Grand Rapids. Kateri Schwandt has a lot of experience with big families, growing up as one of 14 children, and said she finds motherhood to be "very rewarding."

"Your children are a little piece of you. Every day is Mother's Day," she said. "They will bring me flowers that they pick in the yard. Even if it's a dandelion, it's special because they were thinking of Mom. "

Jay Schwandt, 40, said he is expecting the baby to be another son but would be happy if it turns out otherwise.

"My thoughts are, it's probably going to be a boy," he said. "But if I could put my order in, I would root for a girl. I've done all the boy stuff. I'd just like to experience it from the other side once."

Kateri Schwandt said her pregnancy has been smooth and the baby is doing well. She said she has had experience with babies arriving after their due date. Her husband said he'd love it if the baby arrives by Sunday.

"That would be neat if it was born on Mother's Day," he said.

___

Information from: The Grand Rapids Press, http://www.mlive.com/grand-rapids

Archived