IGNORED

Cheryl's Homeschool Curriculum

GeoBQn

Cheryl posted her homeschool curriculum.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2013/07/our-15th-year-of-homeschooling-schedule.html

Some observations:

1. They are moving away from ATI because she felt the children were lacking in history and science.

2. Haley, her 17-year-old daughter that she talked out of taking the SATs, is "still figuring out the details of how she will spend her time. Besides working on her latest novel, she is teaching piano to several outside students and also plans to tutor a little girl down the road, though we are unsure of all the details."

3. She is now taking care of her 6-year-old great-niece, who has come to live with them.

4. All of the curricula they are using are Christian, including math, penmanship, and art.

Whenever I visit a fundie blog, I always search "college," even though I already know I'm going to hate what they've posted, if anything. The comments for this blog entry really crush my heart.

Um, how old are these kids?

In 4th grade - the last I completed at a public school in the US - I had English, Spanish, math, science, social studies, gifted history, art and PE (curiously absent from their curriculum). In 6th, which is when I started public school in Russia (I accidentally skipped a grade), I had Russian, English, French, world history, regional history, world literature, math, biology, music, art, and PE.

... and this was a public school in a country where teachers made $300/month - if they got paid at all that month.

For those of you who are yet unaware of this woman's treatment of her children:

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2010/07/haleys-prayer.html

Two-year old Haley had been caught in wrongdoing and then lied when asked about her involvement. This is a spanking issue in our home. In my serious, somber mommy voice I said, "We must visit the bathroom." She put her head down and reluctantly walked to the room where she knew the discipline was to be administered.

Applying the "rod" was still new to me. My children had been completely out of control until our Pastor shared a wonderful book with us: To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl. I read that book in a day and when Stephanie arrived home from school one Wednesday afternoon I was sitting on the sofa with the book in one hand and a brand new spanker stick (a piece of plumber's tubing) in the other. I gently, but firmly explained that up to this point the children had been ruling the house, but that God commands that the parents are to lead and instruct and children are commanded to obey. We discussed what issues would constitute a spanking. Lying would merit a trip to the bathroom.

We had been teaching Stephanie and Emily to pray after their discipline, to confess their sin to the Lord and to ask His forgiveness. Terry and I wanted them to understand that sin separates us from the Lord and we must repent in order for the fellowship with our Heavenly Father to be restored. Haley was nearly three years old and usually I prayed for her. But this day I decided that she could pray and ask forgiveness herself. I explained all of this to her, as she was quieting down after the spanking.

She bowed her head before me and closed her sad, brown eyes. With her little hands folded and a single tear slowly streaming down her cheek, she sincerely prayed, "Dear Heavenly Fodder, Momma spank-edid my butt. Amen." I believe the Lord was smiling as much as this humbled Mommy.

This is to say nothing of her treatment of her oldest daughter.

In 4th grade - the last I completed at a public school in the US - I had English, Spanish, math, science, social studies, gifted history, art and PE (curiously absent from their curriculum). In 6th, which is when I started public school in Russia (I accidentally skipped a grade), I had Russian, English, French, world history, regional history, world literature, math, biology, music, art, and PE.

... and this was a public school in a country where teachers made $300/month - if they got paid at all that month.

I didn't have any language courses until 6th grade, but two years of a foreign language are required to graduate from high school. In 4th grade I had language arts (writing/reading,etc...), math, science, social studies, art, PE, music and library. Also did gymnastics and dance, I think, after school. In 6th grade I did band, English, US history/geography, math, science, art, Spanish, PE/health, and I did dance and soccer after school back then.

This was well over a decade ago.

As someone who just put down a gorgeous near-three year old for nap, I am really just sick over this.

Is Cheryl the woman who was going to divorce her husband cause he was having an affiar and ended up more religious instead? Her daughter was made that she did not divorce him right?

Gag. This is a TWO YEAR OLD. She can barely say the word spanked, much less understand willfully lying about wrongdoing. And she actually admits to using the plumbing line. Horrible, horrible person :|

Oh that's disgusting. Yes, I'm sure the Lord, who said it would be better to hang a millstone around your neck and drown than to offend a child, is just grinning from ear to ear. Bitch

I'm curious Carla: What's "gifted history"?

I think the "gifted" label was just slapped on because it was a "gifted" class that wasn't a part of the standard curriculum. We studied ancient Egypt, Greece & Rome. No Biblical components whatsoever. Mostly mythology, art & architecture. I just remember my teacher writing "GIFTED HISTORY" on the blackboard to remind us of our special snowflake status - personally, I think that's ridiculous, because every kid should be exposed to as much knowledge as possible, regardless of how they were "assessed" by a teacher.

PS - spanking is child abuse. If it's any violent act that an adult would call the cops over being done to them, that's abuse plain and simple and should be treated as such by the legal system. No excuses.

Is Cheryl the woman who was going to divorce her husband cause he was having an affiar and ended up more religious instead? Her daughter was made that she did not divorce him right?

She didn't believe her daughter when she said her stepfather was having an affair. Turns out that Cheryl had cheated as well. And her husband killed her dog, but it's all okay cause Jesus and submission or something. Lovely people.

She didn't believe her daughter when she said her stepfather was having an affair. Turns out that Cheryl had cheated as well. And her husband killed her dog, but it's all okay cause Jesus and submission or something. Lovely people.

Don't care about the cheating, but he KILLED HER DOG???

I remember vaguely having read a passing mention, but...

Thanks Carla for the explanation, I was wondering if this was a special new subject a school invented.

My condolences, I am pretty sure I am scarred for life by my one year of Russian public school. :P

Oh, she's just lovely! The child abuse, I can't even...

Apparently she's a medical expert too- she and Lori, who is a monster, would get on well I think. Unfortunately her latest "Juice fast" almost killed her. She had a UTI which she "treated" with her juice

You're probably thinking, "Girl, just go to the doctor; they got good meds for that" which is true. Unfortunately, I am highly allergic to sulfa drugs (the usual treatment) and the broad spectrum drug they give me is not to be prescribed more than 3 times in a person's life; I've taken the drug 4 times.

(BTW, this is my specialty. There is NO antibiotic that can only be given 3 times in a person's life and there are quite a lot of options for UTIs other than sulfa)

Anyway, she ended up with pyelonephritis (kidney infection) with a temperature of 102 (38.9 C) being forced to drive around for 2 hours looking for a pizza place for her loverly husband (he was too tired to drive) having eaten nothing for a week. She ended up in the ER.

If these idiots keep on like this, we'll have nothing to snark on pretty soon...

Don't care about the cheating, but he KILLED HER DOG???

I remember vaguely having read a passing mention, but...

Thanks Carla for the explanation, I was wondering if this was a special new subject a school invented.

Here's the post.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-past-dog.html#comment-form

The comments imply he shot the dog/he killed the dog, though she doesn't say so in the post. Even giving the dog away without telling her until after would have been cruel enough, especially since she asked him not to. Real winner he is.

Here's the post.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-past-dog.html#comment-form

The comments imply he shot the dog/he killed the dog, though she doesn't say so in the post. Even giving the dog away without telling her until after would have been cruel enough, especially since she asked him not to. Real winner he is.

That story always makes me gag, but more so now. I am getting a puppy at the end of the month. I already love him so much that the thought of anyone trying to hurt him makes me see red.

This is the part of the story that absolutely drives me up a tree:

It was February and we were preparing for a big remodel of the 2nd bedroom and our bathroom. I was taking all the children, except Isaac (who was staying behind to help with the remodel) to visit friends in another state for a few days. Two days before we were to leave, our baby goat was brutally killed (which totally traumatized Stephanie). We didn't really know which dog was responsible (we had 3), but Sergeant was covered in blood moreso than the other two. Terry was furious and blamed Sergeant and he voiced his concern for the other animals on our small farm. He mentioned taking care of the situation and I asked him not to do anything with him while I was gone.

Long story short; he took the counsel of one the people who had come to help and did away with my sweet puppy. He didn't tell me about it until a day or two before we were to return home (once the amazing remodel was complete).

THIS, this is the kind of person that Terry is.

Thank you for the link.

"Did away with him" and "gone forever" speaks a clear language in my mind. If he had given him to a neighbour or a shelter, she could have gotten him back.

No way I would communicate with such a man again safe through a lawyer to negotiate divorce!

I am borderline-insane in my love for animals. Sadly I don't have any because the stepkid is very allergic - I'm just everyone's go-to pet-sitter :), but if I had a dog and my partner so much as laid a hand on the dog in anger, I'd leave and never come back. The way you treat animals says A LOT about you as a person.

Archived