IGNORED

Seppi Wedding

formerlyfundie

When I married Mr. nokidsmom, our Lutheran wedding was 20 minutes. Pastor was supposed to do a short talk but for whatever reason, he went straight through the vows. People were scratching their heads over the shortness of it all, but for me with my cousin's fundie wedding in recent memory and another cousins wedding stretched to over an hour because their Missouri Synod pastor insisted on doing everything, long sermon, communion, no secular music and all (he refused to marry them if they didn't do what he wanted) I was totally fine with keeping things short.

I grew up LCMS, and for the reason above decided to be married in a registry office (and became UUs as time went on) -- I was really uncomfortable with the practice of not letting the bride/couple/families drive the bus in terms of how the wedding would go. You & Mr. N scored.... I never went to a Lutheran wedding that was under an hour! :clap:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it really seemed like she was reading those vows for the first time... Long pauses before 'big' words...

1094819_10201700793628088_482191909_n.jpg

(pic from FB)

Does anyone know how old Dinah is (or how old any of them are?) ? She really does look pretty there and I hope she is as happy as she is projecting. (But then again who isn't happy on their wedding day....?) :|

Thanks thekate-- I don't think I could take it. My brother married an evangelical-turning-fundie and the wedding sermon (!) damned us all; the preacher yammered on for almost an hour while the happy couple stood there facing him.

I remember being a guest at a Catholic wedding when I was a teenager.... we were in and out of there in 20 minutes. It was awesome.

Wow. I don't think I've ever gotten out of a Catholic wedding in under an hour. Full mass, including Communion for the Catholics in attendance. I've seen Protestant wedding ceremonies in 20-30 minutes.

I grew up LCMS, and for the reason above decided to be married in a registry office (and became UUs as time went on) -- I was really uncomfortable with the practice of not letting the bride/couple/families drive the bus in terms of how the wedding would go. You & Mr. N scored.... I never went to a Lutheran wedding that was under an hour! :clap:

I was a wedding hostess at an ELCA church and unless they had tons of music, even with a communion service we timed out at about 45 minutes. We were pretty even handed about music, some secular was allowed ( I had Schumann's Du Ring an meinem Finger, which says nothing about God, but it does say

"I want to serve him, live for him,

belong to him entire,

Give myself and find myself

transfigured in his radiance."

Unless the congregation spoke German no one understood this)

I've been to fundie funerals where they actually had an altar call. Yeah, like that.

@ThatSnark: I didn't expect that the shortest church wedding I had ever been to would turn out to be mine. Most of the Lutheran weddings we had been to were more in the 45-1 hour range. My cousin wasn't even LCMS but it was the Lutheran church she was attending in the college town she was living in. Our mostly ELCA family was a bit taken aback at all the "must do's" for the wedding that the pastor listed out. One big one that he insisted on only sacred music for the service which ruled out a lot of traditional wedding music because they were written originally as secular pieces. He was that strict about it. So Mendelsohn's wedding march (From Midsummer Night's Dream), the traditional "Here comes the Bride" (from Lohengrin), or the Handel's Water Music (written for George I's barge concerts on the Thames) were out. Completely out. As a music person, I would have hated that and would rather gone to court and gotten married if my own pastor insisted on that.

Ok, genuine question. Dinah (and her sisters, but it seems to be especially her) usually presents as being on the hardcore modesty side: headcovering, no makeup, very plain clothing, totally unstyled hair. But here, she seems to be wearing makeup (I could be wrong, but her complexion looks far more even, and her eyes far bigger and more defined, than the family photo in the blog header), has styled her hair, and is wearing a pretty dress. Without her sibs in the photo, you wouldn't know that it's even a fundie wedding. (IIRC, Regina didn't have any makeup on at her wedding and her hair looked like it always does.) So, why is it immodest to self-style and adorn oneself at one's wedding, but not on other days? It's especially confusing since fundies are really big on the wedding being a "regular part of life/worship" rather than an occasion for excessive decoration, celebration, pageantry, etc., and because the wedding day is the day that a fundie bride is likely to be looked upon by more people than ever before or after, so her styling would seem to give extra opportunity for "defrauding". :think:

Here's the play-by-play.

13:30 Bride's procession starts; Dinah comes down the aisle a minute later. Simple dress, but pretty.

I know an extremely rude song to the tune the bride comes down the aisle to. In fact, I think it's the only words I know to that tune.

Rugby players, eh?

Two things I'd be willing to bet a month's salary on:

One, not one Muslim on the planet gave a rat's ass about that wedding, the people in it or attending it. I'll go even further and say none knew or cared to know.

Two, littler Mercy will have a new cousin by May.

The lady that was sitting by the bride's dad during the wedding (I assume it was the Dinah's mom but I don't know this family so I am not sure) behavior was like that of a little girl during parts of the ceremony. Several times she could hardly sit still and when they stood up to sing the last song, she was jumping for Jesus.

when they stood up to sing the last song, she was jumping for Jesus.

She was very distracting. I wonder if she was mortified on seeing the video later.

That was a horrible boring, overdone wedding. I think it's an excellent ad against the homegrown churches/preachers who leave the audience at the mercy of the ego-lead blathering and sense of "worship."

Wow - my fundie wedding(yes, I did get married in that church as I was on my way out the door) had plenty of prayers and music but the sermon was pretty short. Looking at the Seppi wedding, I apparently got gypped in the longwindedness department. Then again the combination of nerves and wearing higher-than-usual heels made me dizzy so maybe our pastor was just afraid to go on too long.

All Lance needs is a wig and a dress and he could be mistaken, as the Church Chat Lady from Saturday Night Live. :lol:

Wow - my fundie wedding(yes, I did get married in that church as I was on my way out the door) had plenty of prayers and music but the sermon was pretty short. Looking at the Seppi wedding, I apparently got gypped in the longwindedness department. Then again the combination of nerves and wearing higher-than-usual heels made me dizzy so maybe our pastor was just afraid to go on too long.

Just out of inappropriate curiosity, what type of dress were you allowed to wear? Could you show any collarbone? Was there a sleeve length requirement?

Were there wedding photos of you and the wedding party posing in the middle of a road or on railroad tracks? :D

(pic from FB)

Does anyone know how old Dinah is (or how old any of them are?) ? She really does look pretty there and I hope she is as happy as she is projecting. (But then again who isn't happy on their wedding day....?) :|

So, the wedding was moved up nearly 2 months. Is there a baby bump? Or is it just the way the picture looks with that hand holding her stomach? And is that a problem, since, based on their interpretation, they may believe the betrothal contract/covenant cup means they are married anyway. (So why a wedding? Gifts?)

Here is a "Christian" discussion of the symbols of the betrothal and covenant cup that played a part in their big engagement betrothal blog post.

Just out of inappropriate curiosity, what type of dress were you allowed to wear? Could you show any collarbone? Was there a sleeve length requirement?

Were there wedding photos of you and the wedding party posing in the middle of a road or on railroad tracks? :D

I was allowed to wear pretty much any kind of dress as long as it at least had cap sleeves and the neckline didn't show any actual cleavage. My dress had short sleeves and a scoop neckline (all kinds of defrauding collarbone there).

Sadly, no posing in the middle of a road. There's a major highway right by the church and I didn't want to get hit by a semi. We did pose in the field by the church, though, and there might be a pic out there somewhere of me swinging on the playground swings. :lol:

(pic from FB)

I know these are people with horrible beliefs and that there is plenty to snark on that doesn't include looks, but the shallow bitch in me has to say it. Those are horrible bridesmaids dresses, the clothes on the guys are ill-fitting, and maroon and royal blue DO NOT go together. Whew. I feel better.

I know these are people with horrible beliefs and that there is plenty to snark on that doesn't include looks, but the shallow bitch in me has to say it. Those are horrible bridesmaids dresses, the clothes on the guys are ill-fitting, and maroon and royal blue DO NOT go together. Whew. I feel better.

LOL, I was going to say that. Someone should tell the guy on the left that pants are not supposed to fit like that, especially formalwear. And I think it kind of defeats the idea of "modesty" (to the point of wearing T-SHIRTS under formal dresses) when you can actually see through the dresses :?

ETA: I think the girl standing to the bride's left is quite pretty and her dress is nice too, although it could stand to be more fitted in the top.

LOL, I was going to say that. Someone should tell the guy on the left that pants are not supposed to fit like that, especially formalwear. And I think it kind of defeats the idea of "modesty" (to the point of wearing T-SHIRTS under formal dresses) when you can actually see through the dresses :?

ETA: I think the girl standing to the bride's left is quite pretty and her dress is nice too, although it could stand to be more fitted in the top.

Oh, good, glad I'm not the only one :D. And you're right about the younger girl, her dress would be pretty if it fit correctly. I was mostly talking about the other two women. Oy, I wish fundies would realize that t-shirts aren't formal wear.

64726_10201700773987597_1699573968_n.jpg

The groom looks like the brothers. I didn't even know about the one on the far right, they never really talk about him- they focus primarily on the girls.

And she's definitely wearing makeup- which looks really nice! And her hair is curled, she usually has a more natural wave. Regina didn't have any of that at her wedding so why Dinah does is a mystery to me.

And in all her pics she has her hand and bouquet over her stomach so... :whistle:

The dresses- yes I'm glad someone said it before I did, I don't understand any of it. I guess with the wedding pushed up so fast they didn't have time to get real dresses made or bought that match/fit correctly...the tshirts drive me up a wall.

998067_10201700802348306_700892544_n.jpg

There are quite a few really awkward pictures like this, I'm sure they will be blogging about it soon. They probably can't wait to show off their newlywed daughter and all the betrothal (why it works!) blah blah blah.

Is the brother who delivered the anti homosexual/muslim/Obamacare rant married? He pinged my gaydar hard. That kind of ranting at a wedding, yikes....

didn't see past the vows....never saw a husband presenting/proclaiming the marriage...did they actually sign papers/who was the officiant?

I'm pretty sure only the girls are married, except Melody, the younger looking brunette one. I'm not sure how old she is but for some reason I'm thinking she's older than Dinah? Not sure of ages. On the sidebar of their blog they have pics of the couples, and it's all the daughters and their husbands.

Archived