IGNORED

Worst church commercial ever?

SpeakNow

A colleague of mine posted this to Facebook saying it had a great message. Intrigued, I clicked on it. The guy in the the ad talks about how church will basically teach you that you're a horrible terrible bad person, but don't worry because Jesus. Not exactly an effective method for winning converts.

http://vimeo.com/m/71278261

That was bizarre and creepy!

I think most people who go into coffee shops frankly want a cup of coffee. And maybe a Danish.

What I don't get is how this type of preaching is supposed to reach people that are not already plugged into evangelicalism. Believe it or not, this would make no sense at all to most of the world's people.

I never go into a coffee shop looking for relationship. I might be meeting a friend there but usually I'm just going in to get a hot chocolate to take with me.

Way to claim Thoreau's words as your own, dude.

Other than that, it wouldn't be an advertisement that reaches me, but evidently it reaches some. :think:

That was bizarre and creepy!

I think most people who go into coffee shops frankly want a cup of coffee. And maybe a Danish.

What I don't get is how this type of preaching is supposed to reach people that are not already plugged into evangelicalism. Believe it or not, this would make no sense at all to most of the world's people.

:agree:

Well, I guess if you consider smoking or eating a Big Mac horribly wrong, then we are all far more sinful that I could have ever imagined. Me, I just consider those things personal decisions, because I'm not a paternalistic asshole.

Call me a wacky chick, but I think he'd get a lot more converts by telling people how much they're loved and leaving out the part about how sinful they are.

The "you sinner you" message isn't awfully helpful for those of us who suffer from depression--nor is the "Jesus had to die BECAUSE OF YOU!!!!!" one.

After thinking about it, I think there are a few bloggers I would love to send this commercial to. Rachel (see Chick fil A thread) and Raquel for sure, considering both of their recent gay rants. Several others come to mind.

Perhaps this is why Steve Maxwell is such as proponent of not going to church; doesn't have to set other people right when they call the Almighty Stevehovah a sinner.

I think this guy is freakishly obsessed with coffee shops. I mean, I could see a conservative religious person mention the evils of meeting someone in a bar. But a coffee shop? That's kind of a stretch.

I think this guy is freakishly obsessed with coffee shops. I mean, I could see a conservative religious person mention the evils of meeting someone in a bar. But a coffee shop? That's kind of a stretch.

Seriously, what was his hang up? Was he trying to give up caffeine when he wrote that commercial?

I lol'd at "what I call 'quiet desperation". DUDE, that is beautiful! Did you come up with that on your own?? :lol:

All the "You are so bad", "You are more sinful than you could possibly imagine" or whatever garbage made me sick. Awful. :pull-hair:

Does he frequent some strange gay coffee shop in his area? There were a few moments in that video where these men are claimed to be looking for relationships. No women, just men. Kinda makes me go "hmmmmmm".

There are a few Christian coffee shops around me (never been in one, but I'm assuming they're meant to be good places to host your local Bible study?). Wouldn't that just blow this guy's MIND?

And, um, dude, please read Walden in full, not just cliff notes, because I think you're taking "quiet desperation" quite out of context.

It's weird.

I can't figure out if the subtext is that gay ppl are sinful and need to come ot his church, or if he has some unexplored feelings beneath the surface. He mentions brothels in the St. Augustine quote, but other than that it's all men (it's all men!) in a coffee shop and a shot of Arnold Schwarzenegger the hardbody. And in this sinful man-inhabited coffee shop one unseen man reaches out and puts his hand on another man's shoulder towards the end.

I was surprised by the St. Augustine quote - is this a Catholic church?

He has some crazy eyes going on there. And it being all men is odd. Very odd.

I'm a little offended by this off-the-cuff comparison between brothels and coffee shops. St Augustine said something about how every man knocking on a brothel is looking for God. This, in his mind, is somehow analogous to my weekend trips to the coffee shop around the corner -- where I meet friends, have an espresso and read a book.

Whatever.

I think the shot of Schwarzenegger was to imply that people move from one addiction to another, whether it's smoking or bodybuilding in order to achieve fullfillment in their lives.

But what he fails to grasp is that many people will often use God as a similar crutch. I know a woman who was a former gang member. She was addicted to drugs and alcohol, but eventually "found God." She now goes to church, but every third word out of her mouth is about God or Jesus. It consumes her thoughts. She claims to lie awake most nights "talking to God" until around 3 AM because she can't sleep.

Don't get me wrong; it's great that she's off of gang activitiy, drugs and alcohol. But there's no getting around the fact that she simply exchanged one form of mania for another.

What they are striving for is come to us we will fill this void, not acknowledging a lot of people who are part of churches also feel lost or have depression. There is this sense that their relationships are geniune just because of the gospel purposed centrality of the relationship. If one looks at how mega churches and churces in general are set up there is a lot of individuality in relationships being sought. There is community by default, which is what happens all the time in secular environments as well. The idea of how community and relationships work in mega churches is laid out in the book Sacred Subdivisions in a interesting way.

Archived