IGNORED

Time Magazine Cover this week... What would the Fundies say?

homeschoolmomma1

If they even saw it. Magazine subscriptions are probably not part of a fundie's pennypinching budget, and they wouldn't dare set foot in an ebil public library. If anything, they'll probably hear about it second-hand, from a conservative blog or website.

If they even saw it. Magazine subscriptions are probably not part of a fundie's pennypinching budget, and they wouldn't dare set foot in an ebil public library. If anything, they'll probably hear about it second-hand, from a conservative blog or website.

Agree!!

Disagree. If the objective is to outbreed and take dominion, it's not logical for fundies to want a bunch of heathen megafamilies to overcome. Fundies are generally concerned with Christian women reproducing to capacity, IMO.

Also, at the end, the article talks of childfree women being judged, especially now that fertility treatments are available. That's not judgement from fundies, then. That's judgement from other sources.

ETA: Not to say that there isn't a general disdain amongst fundies for the purposely childless marrieds.

Fundies would double down on their commitment to breed, breed, breed.

Hell, maybe we should send this to Jim Bob Duggar and Steve Maxwell -- make them think they have a chance of taking over, if only they'd let their daughters be free to date, marry, and have the sacred babies.

Who gives a rat's ass what fundies or anybody else thinks about a woman's and or couple's choice to be child-free? Her body her choice (and her partner's if it's a decision they make together). It's nobody else's business. End of discussion.

The only women that fundies care about not breeding is white women. They're cool if non white women don't want to breed, but for them white women not breeding equals lack of Christians.

Don't tell me all this Quiverfull/Dominionist nonsense at the top is anything more than a theological cover for how scared some WASP men are of losing exclusive power because they won't be able to count on a majority vote in the future.

The only women that fundies care about not breeding is white women. They're cool if non white women don't want to breed, but for them white women not breeding equals lack of Christians.

Don't tell me all this Quiverfull/Dominionist nonsense at the top is anything more than a theological cover for how scared some WASP men are of losing exclusive power because they won't be able to count on a majority vote in the future.

I can't say how much I agree with this statement. I think the last election REALLY spelled it out for the conservatives. Even though Obama only got 37% of the white male vote, he had a landslide amongst Hispanics, Asians and Blacks, not to mention single white women (he won by a smaller margin with married white women). Basically, the conservatives can no longer expect to win a national election without becoming more appealing to minorities. And well, they haven't done a very good job of that yet...a couple token brown people (Alan West, Herman Cain, Marco Rubio, that Cruz guy and Bobby Jindal are pretty much all they got). Not to mention the continuing digging in of the heels with immigration reform isn't going to win them many fans with the largest and fastest growing demographic either.

And, not all people are childfree by choice. Sometimes its biology; sometimes its money. IVF and other treatments are expensive, and adoption fees (based on what I've learned from a friend who is going through the process) average $30K. I'm fairly certain that if I were to adopt a child, esp international, and had to use daycare, most* fundies would wet themselves judging me - white woman, minority child, no wedding band, using daycare!?!?!?!

* I'm not saying all fundies are racist, just that I've observed it in many of the blogs I've read.

Disagree. If the objective is to outbreed and take dominion, it's not logical for fundies to want a bunch of heathen megafamilies to overcome. Fundies are generally concerned with Christian women reproducing to capacity, IMO.

Also, at the end, the article talks of childfree women being judged, especially now that fertility treatments are available. That's not judgement from fundies, then. That's judgement from other sources.

ETA: Not to say that there isn't a general disdain amongst fundies for the purposely childless marrieds.

LOL, I am one of the childless marrieds ;)

Married, childless, and as far as anyone knows, completely purposely so. And, as is often the case, the main word being tossed around to describe those without children is "Selfish".

I know a lot of childfree people, and I have never noticed them being more selfish than people with kids, but that is just me.

I am married and childless as per my user name. FTR, I totally resent being called selfish because we don't have kids; people who judge folks like us really don't know what other people's reasons or issues are as far not having children. There can be all kinds of reasons why, and IMHO people who criticize other people's lack of kids may be touching on some very personal, sensitive, and difficult issues. People who look down on childless people may do well to think about what they are really saying when they decide go off on this subject.

I am married and childless as per my user name. FTR, I totally resent being called selfish because we don't have kids; people who judge folks like us really don't know what other people's reasons or issues are as far not having children. There can be all kinds of reasons why, and IMHO people who criticize other people's lack of kids may be touching on some very personal, sensitive, and difficult issues. People who look down on childless people may do well to think about what they are really saying when they decide go off on this subject.

That is my thought as well. I'm a weird mix... I'm childless because of a loss, however, I'm child free because we didn't try early and we didn't take any fertility treatments OR adopt. Literally no one knows we had a loss outside of my siblings and parents--not even my inlaws, so whatever they or our friends think, they will just have to think it. The truth is, we'd have loved to have children, but it was not a strong enough desire for either of us to pursue it beyond stopping contraceptives in our very late 30s. I know that is not the case for many people.

I think however that some people are just riding along in their own lives-- go to college after HS because it is the next step, get married to whomever they are dating when they graduate college because it is the next step, have kids 2 years later because it is the next step. Have the second one because it is time, have the divorce, remarry have the second marriage bonding baby.

And if other people make different choices or end up differently, they are viewed as skipping or missing a step--almost like they cut to the front of the line or something. I also think that most people don't spend any real time thinking about other people's life choices until a magazine plays a little bit of "let's you and him fight".

Or they might see it in the grocery store or something. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the topic of the next screaming headline from Shitstain Mary or Looni or...

...And if other people make different choices or end up differently, they are viewed as skipping or missing a step--almost like they cut to the front of the line or something. I also think that most people don't spend any real time thinking about other people's life choices until a magazine plays a little bit of "let's you and him fight".

This is very true.

I think however that some people are just riding along in their own lives-- go to college after HS because it is the next step, get married to whomever they are dating when they graduate college because it is the next step, have kids 2 years later because it is the next step. Have the second one because it is time, have the divorce, remarry have the second marriage bonding baby.

And if other people make different choices or end up differently, they are viewed as skipping or missing a step--almost like they cut to the front of the line or something. I also think that most people don't spend any real time thinking about other people's life choices until a magazine plays a little bit of "let's you and him fight".

Exactly. It's like there's a "life checklist" that has to be followed and done just because that's what you do. It's life on "autopilot". And it's not something that people really think about unless it's pointed out in some way, either directly by a person about another or more generally such as this article, that someone else is doing life differently and is seen as skipping the "steps" in life. Then they get bothered. I have run into this attitude and agree that it's like I am not playing fair or taking a shortcut or something. One person actually said why shouldn't I suffer like everyone else. Now that was sure telling.

One of the reasons fundies breed like rats is to out-breed minorities. Fundies not only want a Christian nation. They also want a WHITE Christian nation. I knew that much before I even knew who the Duggars and the other fundies we snark on were. I used to live next door to a couple that outright said so.

One of the reasons fundies breed like rats is to out-breed minorities. Fundies not only want a Christian nation. They also want a WHITE Christian nation. I knew that much before I even knew who the Duggars and the other fundies we snark on were. I used to live next door to a couple that outright said so.

Our assurance that this won't happen is the SAHD phenomenon. The likes of the Duggars, Maxwells, Botkins....they not helping things.

Well, here's one fundie's take on the cover story:

endoftheamericandream.com/archives/time-magazine-promotes-a-childless-lifestyle-as-the-path-to-the-good-life-for-u-s-couples

This guy, Michael T. Snyder of the "The Economic Collapse" and "End of the American Dream" blogs, puts this article in with what he calls "the relentless assault on the family in America today." :violin:

I think this guy needs some edumacashun in "Critical Reading 101," though. For those of you who read the piece, does it really "encourage" being childfree, or is it merely presenting the stories of several couples who have made that choice?

As always with this guy's blogs, the comments really bring on the batshit (some of it unabashedly racist):

There is nothing in this American government that promotes families, and Satan loves nothing more than to destroy families.

Why doesn't Time Magazine show a black, a hispanic or an Asian couple as an »example« for a child-free life? Think about that…

Young men have seen their Fathers, brothers, uncles & friends wealth, children & future stolen in capricious no-fault divorce settlements for a good 40 years now. That risk is enough to make one VERY cautious. So called "sexual liberation" has rendered the majority of women untrustworthy marriage material.

Well said...How about an article about the 'war on family' as a follow up piece? Esp the war on the role of the Father figure in the household today as eschewed on any tv station, specifically stations containing kids programming.

Here is an interview with a mother of 9 kids. People need to hear such testimonials that promote that large families are fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

In American culture all we have is the media putting down large families.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Archived