IGNORED

Lady Lydia's Advice for the Single Ladies

Jinger Jar

She's an older lady, I'd guess at least over sixty by a few years. Her husband is 70, and she has three grown children and three grandchildren. She does look very good for her age, I think.

Wait--this woman has a living husband and children and grandchildren? OK, admit I should have gone I guess deeper into the blog instead of just reading here and glancing through the blog. I was going to say that I felt really sorry for her because she is obviously mentally ill (still think that), but also lonely--obsession with homey things can be part of a fantasy about having a home with people in it. For example, if you watch cooking shows, it's not just about cooking--at the end they always show family and friends gathering around the table, not this is a great thing to put on the coffee table while you sit alone watching reruns of Law and Order. Now I have to rethink (not sure I want to reread that much, though).

Not to seem oversensitive or pick on anyone, but I'm also an older lady, over 60 by 2 years. I got my first (admittedly, probably last) tattoo three years ago. This weekend I'm going to the wedding of my friend--not the daughter of my friend--who just turned 30. My best friend from high school and my oldest grandson's other grandmother both have bands--and they aren't "oldies" bands. Whatever is wrong with this woman's attachment to some bizarre fantasy of a genteel past, it isn't because of her age.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived