IGNORED

Kidist Just Assumed a TV Show Would Want to Interview Her

GolightlyGrrl

Seinfeld bores me. So does The Office. They don't make sense.

yep, i dislike both of those too. and everybody loves raymond.

of course my idea of funny & entertaining tv is full house, so i dont think my opinion holds much weight. :wink-kitty:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

of course my idea of funny & entertaining tv is full house, so i dont think my opinion holds much weight. :wink-kitty:

Awww, my kids love Full House. We weren't allowed to watch it when I was growing up because the kids were too "rebellious." :roll: Now I think it's kind of sweet and innocent in a very sappy way :) Also, John Stamos is hot.

Awww, my kids love Full House. We weren't allowed to watch it when I was growing up because the kids were too "rebellious." :roll: Now I think it's kind of sweet and innocent in a very sappy way :) Also, John Stamos is hot.

I can't watch Full House now without cringing...seriously, some of those 90s sitcoms were just SO earnest and corny...remember Saved by the Bell and what a big deal KISSING was? But I loved FH as a kid and I really wish I had never seen Bob Saget's standup because it marrs my childhood memories. :lol:

I can't watch Full House now without cringing...seriously, some of those 90s sitcoms were just SO earnest and corny...remember Saved by the Bell and what a big deal KISSING was? But I loved FH as a kid and I really wish I had never seen Bob Saget's standup because it marrs my childhood memories. :lol:

I totally agree with you on Full House. I loved the show as a young kid, but when I watched it as a teen I realized that it was extremely corny.

Ah, Kidist...Where should I start? I don't know if I should take her diatribes seriously, thus worrying that she'd jump on a random East-Asian woman she encounters on the street, or whether she is a very ill woman and that by writing her spiel on her blogs it serves as her "release valve" for all her twisted hatred, thus "confining" her negativity online only. :think:

I really don't get what she means in that post of hers (linked in the OP)...If the Chinese-American woman she names is suspect, to her eyes, of potential double-loyalty, why couldn't she (Kidist) be accused of the same thing were she to work in Canadian Foreign Affairs? Granted she'd never get to the interview stage at the Foreign Office anyways, but she should think about what she writes.

She seems to think that she really is a W.A.S.P...Nothing wrong with being a W.A.S.P, but by Lucifer, she ain't one.

She needs a serious reality check. I think that when she gets one it is likely to not be very pretty... :popcorn2:

I really do think Kidist is going to get herself arrested someday. She gets a little to close too stalker-ish sometimes and it's only a matter of time before she takes things just one step to far and someone feels truly threatened by both her speech and her actions. And then, oh! the righteous indignation that's sure to follow. She really is an object of pity and is so consumed with rage that it clouds her judgment in every way. The buses definitely don't run where she lives.

Didn't News Radio have that one smarmy guy on it? Whatsisname...Dave Foley. Oh, and Andy Dick. Can't stand Andy Dick.

I floved News Radio, at least until the late season eps when it ran off the rails (as just about every long-running show eventually does). Dave Foley was Wholesome, Earnest Station Manager Dave. The incomparable, late lamented Phil Hartman was smarmy Bill McNeal, pure awesomeness. Even Andy Dick was tolerable on NR and I usually run screaming whenever I see him.

I can probably count about 5 episodes of Seinfeld that I thought were funny.

My husband LOVES news radio. When we first started dating he made me watch the entire first few seasons. It wasnt horrible but I really only laughed a few times do it was a bit awkward when he was laughing hysterically through much of it. He has a serious man crush on Dave.

For those that don't like Seinfeld - did you watch it during its original run, or in re-runs?

I'm wondering if the show just didn't age that well. I remember when I was in law school, watching the new episode of Seinfeld each week was the cool thing to do, and it was the topic of conversation the following day. I don't think any program is really like that now. It may also be hard to appreciate that Seinfeld broke the traditional sitcom formula, and created a whole lotta catch-phrases in the process.

It's easier to get the humor if you've ever struggled to buy that last chocolate babka, or visited your parents in a retirement community near Boca with crazy internal politics. Otherwise, some of the jokes just don't make sense. I also have to agree with criticism that Seinfeld's New York is oddly white. A black lawyer, a Chinese restaurant and a Pakistani restaurant do not add up to genuine multiculturalism.

Noooo! The Office is the funniest show ever. Well, until approx. season 5. Seinfeld, bleh.

:lol:

I've only watched a few episodes of the American version of The Office (from season 1), but watched all of the British version, and really liked it. But, man: it was -really- hard sometimes to watch the Ricky Gervais character in action. I felt acutely uncomfortable (almost physically so), probably because I know people who try so hard just like that character did. I think they did a great job of making that character both empathetic and repellent at the same time.

Back OT: I got the same feeling from reading the Kidist post about the supposed television interview. I felt sorry for her and disgusted all at the same time. :?

For those that don't like Seinfeld - did you watch it during its original run, or in re-runs?

I tried it several times, during the original run and re-reruns.

I get that it was funny--I genuinely laughed at the show. But it was the awkward interpersonal stuff that was funny AND excruciatingly embarrassing that I couldn't handle. Like others have mentioned, I have the same problem with The Office. Yeah, it can be hilarious, but also so true to life (in some ways) that for me, I lose the "suspension of disbelief" and it becomes unbearable.

I'm another person who thinks Kidist will do something crazy. As others have mentioned she comes off as creepy and stalkerish. I remember a posting where she talked about being mad because she saw an Asian woman and white man together in public. She also hates the gays and I wouldn't be surprised if she attacked a same sex couple.

It's no wonder she is single and unmarried I can't imagine any guy being interested in her when she opens her mouth and starts talking about how she hates minorities when she is one herself. She truly is mind boggling and won't ever reply to comments that call her out on her shit.

Well, huh! Okay then. I actually read her blog post. I've attempted to read her in the past, but can't get through the first paragraph, so I just get my Kidist fix through whatever FJers have to say about her. Wow! She really boggles my mind. She comes across as mentally ill to me. I'm not sure she will actually snap or try to hurt someone, but I do think that her strange behavior will eventually get her into trouble. She must be miserable. I kind of feel sorry for her.

Seinfeld bores me. So does The Office. They don't make sense.

Please, for the sake of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, pretend that it's 1993 and you are watching The Contest episode for the first time. It's truly comic gold.

I often remind my Partner of my extreme generosity and open-mindedness in being with someone who dislikes Seinfeld and Woody Allen. I tell him I forgive him for lacking a sense of humour, but since he's not Jewish I understand. :lol:

I am KIDDING! OF COURSE. I actually think it's silly to argue or judge taste in entertainment.

Ha! My friend liked Woody Allen too, and I don't, so I think there must be some kind of surrealism-appreciation gene that some people have that I (and several others here, I'm pleased to note) do not have.

I can't comment on other shows as I haven't had a tv in years. That's right, I've never actually seen the Duggars' show, except for the occasional few-minute video online. Somehow it doesn't make chatting here any less entertaining, or interesting from a "fascinating psychology" perspective.

I loved news radio and Dave Foley. But then he went on a publicity tour saying that he couldn't go back to Canada because he owed so much child support. He went on and on about how unfair the court was being too demand he pay a really high monthly fee when his income was now so low.

On the face of it I felt bad for him. But then I actually read about the case. It turns or when he divorced his wife he agreed to an unmodifiable support payment, presumably because he assumed his income would only increase. That way, he'd never have to pay more.

The downside of unmodifiable support is that if your income goes down you still have to pay the original amount.

Bumping to report that commenters on Kidist's blog are calling bullshit when they see it:

That caption really is something! You read far too much into pictures. You seem to pluck your ideas from a big ball of nothing and then you project those ideas onto someone's eyes/gaze/expression/whatever. I don't know how you can justify it. Do you honestly believe what you are saying? Surely even you can see how unlikely and extreme your strange pronouncements seem. You look at photos and movies featuring young homosexuals and you see a 'lost look in their eyes', you see 'existential angst', 'subtle narcissistic qualities' and an 'introverted, self-pitying gaze'. Really? It is just too much. That odd list is far too much to read from a simple gaze or an expression. It seems far more likely that you are just making this stuff up.

This is not the first time you've drawn such strained and convenient conclusions from a look or a gesture. In your old blog you often wrote about your interactions with strangers - I think I remember a waitress, a store clerk and a bank customer - and you projected a whole heap of stuff onto them. You would ask them about a certain racial, religious or political issue and then you would read a whole rainbow of invented approval and agreement into their silences, their polite smiles and their gentle rebuffs. It was ridiculous.

I also vaguely remember you claiming that you could see shades of fascism in the way someone held their chin (their chin!) and that you could sense evil from an actress in a movie.

You seem to have a habit of making something out of nothing. I cannot tell if it is simply because you want to invent support for your own preconceptions without having to bother with that silly little thing called evidence, or if you really do believe that these intangible, invisible, wholly subjective pieces of fluff that you scoop up are meaningful proof of anything at all.

I am so glad that you mentioned this, Anonymous, because I completely agree. Kidist, you spend a great deal of time detailing what you "know" people are thinking, and then ascribing to them personality traits based on an expression captured in a brief moment in a photo. If the photographer captured the person as they were about the sneeze, would you describe them as wide eyed and naive?

It's hard to take you seriously when you do this.

From your other blog:

cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-raised-fist-of-revolutionary-in.html

Here you are talking about Michelle Obama's "black power" and of Barack Obama you say this:

"His expression above is a benevolent cringing at the loud vocals probably emitting from Michelle. Yet, she clearly behaves this way because he never tells her to stop. He wants her to behave like this. Their private conversations must be full of raised fists."

Looks like two people caught rocking out or dancing. A moment in time. Not him "benevolently cringing" at supposed "loud vocals" from his wife.

Where do you get this stuff? Again, it's hard to take you seriously.

Another article, another description of the person in the photo as looking "benevolently" on others (I have seen you refer to people thus several times now):

cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2013/01/third-world-refugee-resettlement.html

In this article you state:

However much this white woman tries to "fit in" Indian culture, she's still foreign and strange, and the children are not shy about expressing that.

"This is the type of white woman who superficially thinks that all cultures are the same, that immigrants from all corners of the world can live contentedly in her native country (America, Canada or possibly Britain), and that it is evil to refuse people refuge as immigrants who want a better life, or refugees who are fleeing difficult, often temporary, situation in their countries.

Yet, when we untangle her thought process, she clearly knows that she is a foreigner in India. She simply, with her benevolent smile, tries to fit in that culture and its norms (look at her attempt at local attire).

So, why is India any different from America or Canada? Why don't Indians accept her with open arms, as she expects Americans and Canadians to do so toward Indians?"

Is this how you think of yourself in Canada as a black woman from Africa, trying to fit into the culture and "norms"? Did you feel this way in Paris? In America?

-Another Anonymous

We can expect a post on this topic soon, I guess! Excellent snark material.

I was really shocked by her last post, I mean, I know she's quite old, but I rationally never think she's been born in 196something. Imaging what an hateful old woman she'll soon be, as age tends to accentuate a person's traits!

And she really must get money from somewhere, family or else, I think...

I find it really sad that her entire life is defined by one interaction with an Emperor, a fierce determination to be superior to everyone else, and a conviction that she can negate the colour of her skin if she tries hard enough.

I'm not sure how old she is, but near to me, I think - I just turned 52 - and she seems so full of hate . . .

Just curious, but does anyone know the correct pronunciation of Kidist's name? I've never seen that name, and in my mind, I pronounce it KYE-dist. In real life I feel bad when I butcher someone's name.

Just curious, but does anyone know the correct pronunciation of Kidist's name? I've never seen that name, and in my mind, I pronounce it KYE-dist. In real life I feel bad when I butcher someone's name.

KidIST AzRAT. Kid as in child. I think she is around 48. Perhaps a little older but not much. She is certainly not representative of all Ethiopians or all Amharas, even those who were in a very privileged and wealthy class in the days of Haile Selassie's Empire.

I just can't snark on Kidist for several reasons. First, I think she is genuinely mentally ill with one of the symptoms being the complete denial of her own ethnicity and all this hateful racist ranting. I would not want to meet her in real life. I hope that she just wanders around Toronto muttering to herself and that 90% of the conversations and confrontations she reports are not fact. Just thoughts she has had or things that she thinks she has said or perhaps wishes she had said. If the confrontations are real and she approaches the wrong person with a racist comment, she could get herself badly hurt one of these days.

Second, I also wonder whether her illness wasn't exacerbated, if not created, by some of her experiences as a child. Her family left Ethiopia for Paris in 1973 or 1974. I think she was still under 10 then. She apparently fell in love with Paris and all things European and completely rejected her Ethiopian heritage at some point. Except for her story of giving flowers to the Emperor! She was then bounced from country to country. Some school in Paris, then an English boarding school (they aren't for sissies!), then to the States and finally to Canada.

It may have been easier for her to pretend to be "European" because everything she knew and remembered was destroyed by the Derg under Megistu. She is not exaggerating when she says that her father would probably have been executed if they had stayed in Ethiopia. The revolution turned into a bloodbath after "Bloody Saturday."

Third, I saw recently on her blog that she is the oldest child in her family. I heaved a sigh of relief because I was afraid that I knew her family. I now know that she is not the younger sister of a close school friend of mine, nor the daughter of a professional colleague of my father. She may be a cousin, but I'm certainly not going to email her and ask!

The last time I was in Ethiopia was Christmas, 1973. My parents did not leave until 1976, but they decided it was not safe for us to visit after that. It was a very tough time for them then, and the situation only got worse with the civil war. Very few of the Ethiopians, wealthy or not, we knew back then survived. A few, like Kidist's family, managed to escape. Too few.

Many of us who grew up in Ethiopia, or even lived there for a year or two, have very fond memories of the country, even as we acknowledge that there were many things wrong at the end of the Emperor's reign. This article was written by another person I went to school with in Ethiopia and gives a good picture of what it was like. I'm not exactly name dropping because I'm sure he wouldn't remember me at all! I barely remember him. We were in a different class in school, but my brother and one of his brothers were great friends! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -coup-1973 (news source so link not broken).

KidIST AzRAT. Kid as in child. I think she is around 48. Perhaps a little older but not much. She is certainly not representative of all Ethiopians or all Amharas, even those who were in a very privileged and wealthy class in the days of Haile Selassie's Empire.

I just can't snark on Kidist for several reasons. First, I think she is genuinely mentally ill with one of the symptoms being the complete denial of her own ethnicity and all this hateful racist ranting. I would not want to meet her in real life. I hope that she just wanders around Toronto muttering to herself and that 90% of the conversations and confrontations she reports are not fact. Just thoughts she has had or things that she thinks she has said or perhaps wishes she had said. If the confrontations are real and she approaches the wrong person with a racist comment, she could get herself badly hurt one of these days.

Second, I also wonder whether her illness wasn't exacerbated, if not created, by some of her experiences as a child. Her family left Ethiopia for Paris in 1973 or 1974. I think she was still under 10 then. She apparently fell in love with Paris and all things European and completely rejected her Ethiopian heritage at some point. Except for her story of giving flowers to the Emperor! She was then bounced from country to country. Some school in Paris, then an English boarding school (they aren't for sissies!), then to the States and finally to Canada.

It may have been easier for her to pretend to be "European" because everything she knew and remembered was destroyed by the Derg under Megistu. She is not exaggerating when she says that her father would probably have been executed if they had stayed in Ethiopia. The revolution turned into a bloodbath after "Bloody Saturday."

Third, I saw recently on her blog that she is the oldest child in her family. I heaved a sigh of relief because I was afraid that I knew her family. I now know that she is not the younger sister of a close school friend of mine, nor the daughter of a professional colleague of my father. She may be a cousin, but I'm certainly not going to email her and ask!

The last time I was in Ethiopia was Christmas, 1973. My parents did not leave until 1976, but they decided it was not safe for us to visit after that. It was a very tough time for them then, and the situation only got worse with the civil war. Very few of the Ethiopians, wealthy or not, we knew back then survived. A few, like Kidist's family, managed to escape. Too few.

Many of us who grew up in Ethiopia, or even lived there for a year or two, have very fond memories of the country, even as we acknowledge that there were many things wrong at the end of the Emperor's reign. This article was written by another person I went to school with in Ethiopia and gives a good picture of what it was like. I'm not exactly name dropping because I'm sure he wouldn't remember me at all! I barely remember him. We were in a different class in school, but my brother and one of his brothers were great friends! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -coup-1973 (news source so link not broken).

Thank you for your insight. I learned quite a bit.

I do find Kidist's views horrible, but I just can't hate her. I truly think she is mentally ill and I wish someone from her family would get her help. She seems so self-loathing and it's kind of heartbreaking.

Archived