IGNORED

Hmm..do you think this is aimed at us? - Above Rubies

GenerationCedarchip

I just saw this:

aboverubies.net/2011/08/blog-etiquette.html

and couldn't help wondering if some of this etiquette lecture was aimed in our direction. Also, what a rude, condescending tone on this one!

This is the same woman who had those "Imitation of a Man" articles up on her blog not too long ago that were mentioned here. She has since taken the pieces down.

To all the fundie bitches who are so hopped up about anonymous comments: I am in the process of starting up a blog again, but until then I have to leave Anonymous comments unless your blog structure allows me to simply use my name and email. Also, I don't think you will want me to link on your site to a feminist Jewish woman's blog about her experiences being poor.

She never fails to be rude and condescending.

I'd like to add a rule for her, which is get rid of the persecution complex - not all comments which disagree with you are in fact negative, you just don't like them because you can't win the argument.

And I haven't got a blog and have no intention of starting one anytime soon. Guess I'm not allowed to leave comments, because that's *rude*. How dare I not clog the blogosphere with mundane tales of my life?! PERSECUTION! I demand the right to leave comments!

And as far as I know, as long as you cite your source, you can repost any quotes you want. But I suppose when you don't go into higher education, you may not learn about citations. Did God give her permission to repost Scripture? How about the publishing company of her precious KJV?

She doesn't just have sponsors, she has "Beautiful Sponsors." I'm so glad for her.

She writes:

"Do not attack others by leaving anonymous negative comments. If you're going to say something negatively, own up to it by linking back to your site. The purpose of comments, in general, is to encourage and continue the conversation. Obviously, you are not going to agree with everything you read, but allow others their opinion. It's their blog and they can post want they want to. "

Umm no. The purpose of commenting is to comment. There is no requirement for agreement. It's called *gasp* free speech. You know, for a group of people who use the right to free speech to spread their ideas, they have no appreciation for other's right to the same freedom. Democratic freedoms do not only apply to you fundies.

I HATE how they equate any disagreement with "hate". I wish that they could somehow be part of a group who faced real oppression for a time, so they would know what it feels like to be persecuted.

I just don't get how these fundie bloggers are under the assumption that their blog is their own little private corner of the internet, and How Dare! anyone post something negative in their private corner.

It's a public forum. If you don't want it to be one, go private.

She writes:

"Do not attack others by leaving anonymous negative comments. If you're going to say something negatively, own up to it by linking back to your site. The purpose of comments, in general, is to encourage and continue the conversation. Obviously, you are not going to agree with everything you read, but allow others their opinion. It's their blog and they can post want they want to. "

Umm no. The purpose of commenting is to comment. There is no requirement for agreement. It's called *gasp* free speech. You know, for a group of people who use the right to free speech to spread their ideas, they have no appreciation for other's right to the same freedom. Democratic freedoms do not only apply to you fundies.

I HATE how they equate any disagreement with "hate". I wish that they could somehow be part of a group who faced real oppression for a time, so they would know what it feels like to be persecuted.

Except that she also doesn't want you to "advertise" your own site when commenting on hers so you're in trouble either way. I'm guessing she must hate the commenters who have their sites listed in their signature blocks.

It's called *gasp* free speech. You know, for a group of people who use the right to free speech to spread their ideas, they have no appreciation for other's right to the same freedom. Democratic freedoms do not only apply to you fundies.

The 1st Amendment prohibits the GOVERNMENT from unreasonably infringing free speech. It does not apply to anyone else. She (or Steve Maxwell for example) can edit, delete or ignore anything you post as a comment. You can comment on her site, but you don't have a RIGHT to do it.

I don't have a blog. How am I going to link to my nonexistent blog? I don't get the whole NO ANONYMOUS COMMENTS pearl-clutching. Anyone can make up a name. You shouldn't comment unless your life history is completely transparent?

The 1st Amendment prohibits the GOVERNMENT from unreasonably infringing free speech. It does not apply to anyone else. She (or Steve Maxwell for example) can edit, delete or ignore anything you post as a comment. You can comment on her site, but you don't have a RIGHT to do it.

I know. But that's more an issue of censorship. The right to the expression still applies. The internet is a public forum. She can't forbid people from saying something or proscribe their speech, which is how she comes across.

i guess I don't understand why someone would want to go through all the trouble of having a blog if they only want comments that say "nice post." How boring! Just keep a diary then. If you are going to post controversial materials, wouldn't you want your thoughts to be questioned and errors in your argument pointed out so you can make them stronger?

If you are going to post about your kitchen sink cleaning technique, then I can understand why you might be irritated at people coming on to post comments like "omg u so dirty u cant clean" ... but it seems that most of the people we discuss here aren't talking about the illiterate trolls. They want no disagreement whatsoever, and I just don't understand how that is entertaining or social or anything. I don't necessarily go out to argue or post just to argue. But real conversation tends to involve opposing or different viewpoints. I've been to events or dinners where people politely greet one another, engage in small talk, eat, and go home. It's BORING. Tell a joke! Laugh! Have a discussion about the future our country and what you would do to fix it! Talk about how social networking has changed society! Discuss the implications of losing the AAA rating. Hell, discuss cats vs dogs. Just have a conversation that isn't all about the following: 1. your child's potty technique 2. modesty 3. menu planning.

*I say you in the general sense. Not in the "I mean you specifically" way.

A pet peeve of mine -- her list is almost all "don'ts."

That seems to line up with the fundie world, in general. Gotta tell people what they're doing wrong, often without ever having given a constructive idea first.

Archived