IGNORED

Mikaela's life goals

Daenerys

So, go to school. This IS college, for the most part. Okay, the "report" is more like a paper or an essay question that appears on a test, maybe a class presentation or even a website. But, if learn something and report about it is really on her life's goals, get thee to a college classroom!

She said she used to dream of college and independence (no surprise, she clearly has a brain) but was 'convicted' to remain at home under her father's authority until he passes that responsibility to another man. *Sigh*

It's a huge, huge, huge task to change your brain chemistry (through medications, CBT, meditation, whatever)...don't sell yourself short. I don't know you personally, but please know that you have someone out there pulling for you and your success! :wink-kitty:

This is a goal I am currently tackling. And, contrary to popular belief, it is just that: changing brain chemistry. Depression is not a sign of weakness. I never believed it, I thought I was just useless, and then my dr found the right combo of medicine and I started feeling so much better. I can feel when I forget them, and it has convinced me that it is just chemicals. I hope you have success in figuring out your own brain chemicals! :D

At first, I thought this was the Bates girl, but I realized it was someone different when I poked around on her blog. She posted this underneath the Big List O' Things To Accomplish:

Quote: It is a constant prayer of mine to be a productive, fruit-bearing woman of God, and I will be praying that for each one of you, no matter what season of life you are in!

I don't think I've ever referred to myself as "fruit-bearing," nor do I want to.

And this:

Quote: Mikaela is blessed to be the daughter of Steve and Jennifer, a sister to five wonderful siblings, and engaged to an incredible, godly man. She is a homeschool graduate who runs a music studio, blogs at One Bright Corner with her twin sister, Lauren, and works behind-the-scenes on the Christian Heritage blog and newsletter. Her identity is a blood-washed child of the King, her heart belongs to God, and her passions are glorifying God through family discipleship, music, godly femininity, and writing.

Blood-washed child of the King? Makes me think of the prom scene in Carrie.

The Cash twins don't have anything to do with the Bates, but they are "friends" (I use that term loosely) with Miss Raquel.

I don't think I've ever referred to myself as "fruit-bearing," nor do I want to.

My first mental image was one of myself carrying a nice apple pie. Store-bought crust, though, for my heathen Catholic self.

Well, there's nothing wrong with a list of hobbies you want to get into when you have the time/money. I myself have a mile long list of such things.

Yeah, it is lacking in clear goals for the future, though. Not that mine are much better:

1. Get job

2. Figure out what career I want

3. Recover from depression

Since mine is so pathetic, I don't think I can snark on hers too much :(

So I don't mean to be super obnoxious, as I know advice during such times can be a huge pain in the butt, but as someone who was laid off just a few months ago and is working very hard with #3 as my top priority, my weird thing that is helping a lot: Dog fostering!

I mean, I'm doing all that medical stuff as well, but giving a dog a home for free (the rescue pays for all his food and medical care), is awesome. He forces me to wake up at the same time every day and exercise. (And getting out of PJs and out of the house wasn't happening all that often without him, to be honest.) He doesn't judge me when I sleep waaay too much or watch crap TV or can't deal with showering that day. And he responds to hugs and snuggles with with doggie kisses and joy.

Anyway, not something everyone can do or would want to, but it's been awesome for me. (We'll see what happens when he gets adopted though. :crying-green: )

At first, I thought this was the Bates girl, but I realized it was someone different when I poked around on her blog. She posted this underneath the Big List O' Things To Accomplish:

Quote: It is a constant prayer of mine to be a productive, fruit-bearing woman of God, and I will be praying that for each one of you, no matter what season of life you are in!

And this:

Quote: Mikaela is blessed to be the daughter of Steve and Jennifer, a sister to five wonderful siblings, and engaged to an incredible, godly man. She is a homeschool graduate who runs a music studio, blogs at One Bright Corner with her twin sister, Lauren, and works behind-the-scenes on the Christian Heritage blog and newsletter. Her identity is a blood-washed child of the King, her heart belongs to God, and her passions are glorifying God through family discipleship, music, godly femininity, and writing.

Blood-washed child of the King? Makes me think of the prom scene in Carrie.

I first read that as brain washed.

"There's no human way to accomplish this?" Maybe memorizing the entire Bible, but that doesn't appear to be what she means. The rest of is by and large ordinary adult-type stuff, and as others have posted, can be added to a life that includes college. (But why in the heck is a grown woman writing a book report? Who's supposed to read it?)

Or is it in-group-speak for "I've been told all my life that I can never be good enough in my assigned role unless I abase myself to the authority figures in my life who claim to speak for Jesus, and then I may be allowed the ability to do what they tell me?"

For those of you who don't know, Mikaela is actually engaged (to a lawyer who attended her church and - gasp! - a real college, called Joel) and the post is here for those who want to read: http://onebrightcorner.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... chive.html

Those shoulder hugs are super-awkward :? Especially the one in her engagement pic. My brother hugs me like that. And the story is just so confusing :evil-eye:

Those shoulder hugs are super-awkward :? Especially the one in her engagement pic. My brother hugs me like that. And the story is just so confusing :evil-eye:

Sounds like a better situation than many - he's someone she knows well (so not a total arsehole) and as a lawyer he's earning decent money. Also, her mother only had five pregnancies so she's unlikely to turn into another Michelle Duggar. Still, getting engaged to someone after three months of mostly calls and emails sounds like a terrible idea. It could really backfire, especially with moving across a continent to be with him.

Sounds like a better situation than many - he's someone she knows well (so not a total arsehole) and as a lawyer he's earning decent money. Also, her mother only had five pregnancies so she's unlikely to turn into another Michelle Duggar. Still, getting engaged to someone after three months of mostly calls and emails sounds like a terrible idea. It could really backfire, especially with moving across a continent to be with him.

Does he actually have a proper lawyering job? I work in Canada, but at the border, and all the American lawyers I've met have a very difficult time getting work. It seems like there's a market saturation.

Does he actually have a proper lawyering job? I work in Canada, but at the border, and all the American lawyers I've met have a very difficult time getting work. It seems like there's a market saturation.

She said that he is working as a law clerk in Maryland. I'm not in America so I don't know if this is the normal progression from law school, but if he moved across the country for it it can't be a bad gig. Also Maryland is close to DC... really would not surprise me if he went to Patrick Henry at all.

As someone who works in the legal field... it's glutted like you wouldn't believe. There are not nearly enough jobs to match the number of law grads turned out each year. Sometimes the newbies can go hang out their own shingle and scramble for work, and that can earn them enough to pay their loans, plus a tiny amount to live on, but it's nowhere near the ticket to riches it used to be.

A clerkship is either a summer job or a one-year post-school internship. It's not a permanent job.

You know, as someone who had to start supporting herself when she graduated from high school, who was welcome to live at home while in college but had to pay all my own expenses plus room and board, who always worked two (and one time worked three) jobs to pay for college, and who was discouraged from even attending college to begin with, I can kind of understand how these SAHD are content with the busy work and undefinable objectives that occupy their days. I would have killed for a little of that kind of contemplative time when I was at my busiest.

Not that I would have been happy in the long run, of course. My parents raised me to be too damn independent to be a SAHD. But it would have been nice - for a week or so- to live like that.

Everything is just about serving and submitting and sitting pretty at Daddy's

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliantly worded :D

Archived