IGNORED

Desmond Tutu: I'd pick hell over an anti-gay heaven

alchemy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/2 ... 61120.html

This story has caused an uproar among the fundies on my fb. There's the expected "he's not a real Christian so's going to hell anyways" "god's not homophobic, but tutu's statement is christophobic" and a whole lot of "our beliefs are not homophobic, love the sinner , hate the sin, blah, blah, blah"

I applaud tutu forhis stance especially considering the dangerous climate that exists for homosexuals in many African countries these days.

I'd rather be in hell than in a heaven comprised of Maxwells, Duggars, Pearls, Lori Alexander .......

Absolutely...think about it, an eternity with that lot!

"Christophobic"??? :? I've never heard that one before.

Despite being a fairly well-educated woman of the modern world, I had also never heard of "corrective rape" until I attended the abortion bill hearings in Texas least month. I was shocked at what I heard, and it takes a lot to shock me.

But at any rate, I'm agnostic but I would also choose hell and an eternity with Tutu over heaven with homophobic fundies.

"Christophobic"??? :? I've never heard that one before.

Despite being a fairly well-educated woman of the modern world, I had also never heard of "corrective rape" until I attended the abortion bill hearings in Texas least month. I was shocked at what I heard, and it takes a lot to shock me.

But at any rate, I'm agnostic but I would also choose hell and an eternity with Tutu over heaven with homophobic fundies.

"Christophobic" is apparently a buzzword that they are trying to invent. There is a term already, misotheism, that applies to people who are sort of anti-religious rather than non-religious. A lot of religious people think atheists fall into this category and actually believe in God but are just angry at him and being stubborn.

Hell is supposed to be eternal, unfathomably horrible, torture. If I really believed it existed, I would follow even an evil god to avoid it (and I think a god who condemns anyone to hell, let alone good people whose only fault is not believing, is evil). That's why I've never been able to say things like that. I get the point, though; it was a weird moment for me as a Christian when I looked at all the Christians I knew and the non-Christians I knew and realized that in general if I had to pick one group to spend eternity with it would be the non-Christians.

Hell is supposed to be eternal, unfathomably horrible, torture. If I really believed it existed, I would follow even an evil god to avoid it (and I think a god who condemns anyone to hell, let alone good people whose only fault is not believing, is evil). That's why I've never been able to say things like that. I get the point, though; it was a weird moment for me as a Christian when I looked at all the Christians I knew and the non-Christians I knew and realized that in general if I had to pick one group to spend eternity with it would be the non-Christians.

Even for me, I think it is important to stay true to myself. I would rather be in hell (which I don't believe in) rather in heaven (which i dont believe in)for eternity singing the praises of a God (which pretty much every diety in the modern world fit into for me). I think is an asshat.

Both are unfathomably horrible.

Yes, I know what you mean. I was actually thinking about this the other day because my family of origin is all insufferably hardcore fundie. So when we all die: if they are right, they will go to heaven and I will go to hell. Win-win, because I won't have to spend an eternity with them (which would actually be like hell for me; having spent 37 years of my life with them before escaping, eternity with them would kill me....Oh, wait...never mind).

If I am right, and there is no afterlife: bummer for them because there will be no eternal reward for their long-suffering devotion (but they won't be aware of it, so no everlasting angst on their part), and pretty much what I expect anyway.

So I'm okay either way :D

Even for me, I think it is important to stay true to myself. I would rather be in hell (which I don't believe in) rather in heaven (which i dont believe in)for eternity singing the praises of a God (which pretty much every diety in the modern world fit into for me). I think is an asshat.

I've felt the same way for a number of years. I don't want anything to do with that kind of God.

You know, I'd like to think that I could follow my principles on some things no matter the consequences, but at least you know that everything in this life is temporary. Eternity anywhere just seems awful.

Oh, Hell would be much better, especially if everyone from FJ is going there like our bloggers all seem to think...Rock on, Bishop Tutu. Rock on. (Fun fact: He and my dad corresponded for years. Dad really likes him.)

Oh, Hell would be much better, especially if everyone from FJ is going there like our bloggers all seem to think...Rock on, Bishop Tutu. Rock on. (Fun fact: He and my dad corresponded for years. Dad really likes him.)

Oh my god, your father and him corresponded for years? Totally awesome!

Bishop Tutu's quote definitely shows how awesome he is! I would not want a heaven where there are no gays.

Off topic: tree mom, I've always wondered what your avatar is? Is it ponies in lungs? I know how weird that sounds. Sorry.

Off topic: tree mom, I've always wondered what your avatar is? Is it ponies in lungs? I know how weird that sounds. Sorry.

Yes. During the great beginning of dede being eleventy months pregnant I also had a very nasty case of pluerisy and during the long days at home me and other posters decided I was lung pregnant with horses.

It doesn't really make sense...

Yes. During the great beginning of dede being eleventy months pregnant I also had a very nasty case of pluerisy and during the long days at home me and other posters decided I was lung pregnant with horses.

It doesn't really make sense...

It makes more sense than anything else in Dede's story.

I don't believe in heaven. If there really is one and the God is the same God fundies believe in, I want to go to hell. Sure it's all pain and suffering but I cannot hate gay people for simply living their lives and loving someone.

I wanna go to gay hell and go to gay bars every night. Gay hell must host some sizzling parties!

Well make sure you sign up for the gay agenda then, it has all the best tips for where to go :D

Well make sure you sign up for the gay agenda then, it has all the best tips for where to go :D

sp_0410_01_v6.jpg

I almost cried when I heard this. So many people want to condemn me, but what he's saying is heaven isn't homophobic.

A few weeks ago, I ran into street preachers downtown, and they were repeating that Leviticus verse and saying how gay people are an "abomination and will burn in hell!"

I yelled, "Hey, jerks! I'd rather be in hell with my partner than in heaven alone!" In all seriousness, I love her so much that being separated forever, even after death, would be Hell no matter where I actually ended up.

Archived