IGNORED

Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

johnhugh

I can just imagine the Maxwell Interactive Dating, er, Courting Game now.

You're ostensibly courting the girl, but the boss of every level is Stevus. He is of course on a pedestal in the middle of flaming lava, er, hellfire and brimstone, so if you fall of or make any wrong moves or your "conversation" doesn't hit all the proper high notes, it's Game Over.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can just imagine the Maxwell Interactive Dating, er, Courting Game now.

You're ostensibly courting the girl, but the boss of every level is Stevus. He is of course on a pedestal in the middle of flaming lava, er, hellfire and brimstone, so if you fall of or make any wrong moves or your "conversation" doesn't hit all the proper high notes, it's Game Over.

I"m kind of surprised that Steve-O has not started his own version of Christian Mingle, the difference being it's not the knights in shining armor and future helpmeets with profiles, but profiles of headships looking to arrange godly courtships.

When the hell are we going to hear the story about what happened on Sunday????

The examples given in those samples are not what I think of when the word "conversation" is used. The best conversations I have are discussions that take place over a period of time and explore concepts and conceptualisations of the world. You share your experiences, your views and how that all relates to the matrix of interrelations you see the world as being made up of as relates to one specific idea, incident or person, and your partner does the same. Sometimes you build up ideas between yourselves and end up having realisations, sometimes those realisations are unique because without one of your specific life experiences being shared, it never would have come about.

What examples does Steve give? Running a pitch to prospective FIL. Telling a doctor where your tummy hurts. Greeting your partner and filling them in on your day.

Yes exactly. I wonder what happens when someone the Maxwell kids are talking to deviates from the script: I say this, then you say that, then I say this, and so on. I think it's plain from what we know of their lives and the examples in this book that they all have well-worn scripts with each other. When they're talking with someone who's conducting an actually good conversation like Patsy describes, can the Maxwells contribute and hold their own? Or do they have no idea what to do when the person they're talking to doesn't give the same answers as their siblings or the strawmen in the Ray Comfort Good Person Test? What would they have done in a conversation with Stuart?

Also, kids should not be forced to tell strangers their names if they don't want to. Way to teach your children stranger danger, Maxwells. And also way to teach them to override their stated discomfort and do what someone else orders them to do, even if they really find it upsetting, and that if they tell you they're uncomfortable doing something you'll force them to do it anyway and won't respect their wishes or have their backs. Great parenting, there.

Those poor people. Do Steve and Teri even understand that they have feelings, and those feelings are real, and they matter, and should be respected? Of course not. I wouldn't wish a Maxwell life on my worst enemy.

Or one can always share burrito filling recipes but I don't think that the Maxwells would approve of my chicken fajitas as a burrito.

If I were more computer savvy I would like to start a fundie matchmaking site that would only allow dads to post about their available children.

If I were more computer savvy I would like to start a fundie matchmaking site that would only allow dads to post about their available children.

LOL! I love that idea! Like an online auction, but with "young ladies" for offer.

I"m kind of surprised that Steve-O has not started his own version of Christian Mingle, the difference being it's not the knights in shining armor and future helpmeets with profiles, but profiles of headships looking to arrange godly courtships.

Please don't give them any new ideas for their next project!! :lol:

What would they even list as interests? Certainly not long walks on the beach and old movies.

Perhaps, cleaning, chopping lettuce, throwing what some may call parties, waiting for my headship. Burritos!

What would they even list as interests? Certainly not long walks on the beach and old movies.

Perhaps, cleaning, chopping lettuce, throwing what some may call parties, waiting for my headship. Burritos!

Bible time!

Packing in and setup!

Philanthropy! (Oh, wait, that's not right...)

Bible time!

Packing in and setup!

Philanthropy! (Oh, wait, that's not right...)

Headship: Steve M.

Future Helpmeet: Sarah (31) - Always a bridesmaid, but wanting to be a bride!

Education: Home-school graduate.

Interests: Bible reading, photography, card making

Skills: Faithful lettuces chopper, skilled Aunt, cupboard washing

Number of Proverbs Memorized: 89

Knows where she will go when she dies?: Yes

Headship: Steve M

Knight in Shining Armor: Joesph (23) - Once bitten but not shy!

Education: Home-school graduate. A+ certification

Interests: Bible reading, grilling, guitar playing

Skills: Remodeling, HTLM, push-ups

Number of Proverbs Memorized: 53

Knows where he will go when he dies?: Yes

"We have found it is far easier to make the correct turn, then try and find somewhere we can turnaround."

So there's the SODRT failure to separating the verb and noun at the end there.

Ummm, it's verb and adverb. Using the trick I learned in grade school to identify an adverb that modifies a verb, "How is it turning? It's turning AROUND." ("Around" can also be used as a preposition, as in "around the bend.")

Grammar nerd will shut up now and go away.

Just found another book that bears a striking resemblance to the Maxwells' newest offering: "Conversation With Character," published by a homeschooling family in Tennessee (sweethomepress.com).

The book everyone is conversing about!

Do your child's conversation skills make you proud or perturbed? Teach character-rich basics that make him or her a worthy ambassador for you and for God.

Hey Stevie! Which came first - the chicken or the egg??

Miggy, did you ever get your books from the Yemeni terrorists who are holding them hostage the Maxwells? I'm so looking forward to you sharing their lessons on becoming great conversationalists.

Archived