IGNORED

Abigail Pregnant with #6

GeoBQn

I was going to post about this but I got beaten to the punch. I would have titled it "Abigail has another child she can't afford to feed and can't be bothered to educate"

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Attorneys are having a rough time right now-it's pretty dog-eat-dog. I am not sure she could go back to being a lawyer right now, even if she had to.

What does Jon do? (besides keep them in poverty?)

I wonder what her family thinks of all of this? Obviously, if she plays cello, she came from an upper-middle income family. Not many poor kids going to Smith.

Jon is a graphic designer and he works for a company. I don't think Abigail has ever mentioned the name of the company. With some quick searches, the estimates for an average graphic designer in West Virginia is $57,000. My parents' goddaughter is also graphic designer and when I last saw her 10 years ago, she said she was making around 50 k in Texas. She is probably making more these days.

Attorneys are having a rough time right now-it's pretty dog-eat-dog. I am not sure she could go back to being a lawyer right now, even if she had to.

What does Jon do? (besides keep them in poverty?)

I wonder what her family thinks of all of this? Obviously, if she plays cello, she came from an upper-middle income family. Not many poor kids going to Smith.

Law schools are pumping out 2 graduates for every 1 available job. If you don't know someone or have some special skill, good luck competing in that job market.

I think maybe Abigail could earn some extra money do the occasional work drafting legal documents. One of my high school teachers was a lawyer before she got into teaching. She kept her law licenses valid because she does legal work on the side. It was mostly doing wills for people at lower costs and she also used to do some pro bono work for non-profits.

Jon is a graphic designer and he works for a company. I don't think Abigail has ever mentioned the name of the company. With some quick searches, the estimates for an average graphic designer in West Virginia is $57,000. My parents' goddaughter is also graphic designer and when I last saw her 10 years ago, she said she was making around 50 k in Texas. She is probably making more these days.

He works in DC.

• 4 weeks later...

Abigail claims she is losing friends because of this pregnancy. She also quit Facebook so that she can learn to "depend solely on G-d."

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2013/08/on-losing-friends.html

I expect that a lot of people can't get onboard with many of her recent decisions. Gambling with genetics like she is I'm sure very few people support her.

60K, even with five kids, is not poverty. Not middle class, but they can certainly eat

Even paralegals are having a rough time, since law school grads are taking jobs as paras. And it won't be getting better anytime soon.

I think Abigail is losing friends because she is so lucky to not have a child with CF. That is not a tiny birth defect or even curable at this point. Her child will die, barring a cure, by his or her early 30s on the long end. She may feel blessed to have another child, but will that child feel blessed to be born?

I expect that a lot of people can't get onboard with many of her recent decisions. Gambling with genetics like she is I'm sure very few people support her.

I wonder if people in her community actually know about her and Jon's carrier status. When she had a Facebook profile, she never linked to her blog posts, so people might not be aware of what she is posting.

I'm honestly surprised she found a priest to do that. The way I was raised (I remember when my cousin miscarried), people believed either a.) unless the baby breathes, there is not a death or b.) until the age of 7, the age of reason, children who die before that enter immediately into the presence of God, and the mass celebrated is a Mass of the Angels, not a funeral mass.

Part of this was just upping the ante when pro choice people said -- "You act like this 8 week abortion is a life, but you don't have funerals for 8 week miscarriages"

In the US currently, only 50 % of CF patient will live past their 18th year. The age given by the CF foundation is a projected mean age based upon the statistics in one specific low influenza year. It's deceptive and many argue deliberately so.

Abigail's child would find itself on the low end of that numbers game for one specific reason, life expectancy is directly tied to WEIGHT, BMI to be specific. The better able you are to get weight on a CF child and keep it on them, the healthier they are and the longer they.

However, added to that diehard diligence to weight and nutrition is an average of 2 hours of breathing treatments per DAY and an average of two weeks in the hospital per year. There is clinic appointments every three months IF you are healthy and things are going. We've done weekly appointments when things were going poorly.

I suspect Abigail wants the martyr card that she thinks CF will give her. She has no idea what that reality will be, but at the rate she continues to gamble everything, she's going to find out!

chaotic life: I was just wondering, if you know, what the rules are for a kid with CF to get a lung transplant? Also, would the disease itself destroy those lungs eventually, or is that a cure?

I do know money comes in to play, somewhat, with transplants, as they have to be able to afford anti-rejection medication for life. I am not sure it comes into play with children as much, but it does with adults. Of course, with Obamacare, this might not even be important, as pre-existing doesn't rule one out of purchasing insurance.

Why should it come as a shock that I'm adding another new baby to the mix?

Because you can't reliably feed the ones you already have.

I have to agree with you.

When did she say they are both carriers for the CF gene? Usually people don't find out until they have a child with CF. Did they do genetics testing?

When did she say they are both carriers for the CF gene? Usually people don't find out until they have a child with CF. Did they do genetics testing?

I believe they did. It was back early in the blog.

I believe they did. It was back early in the blog.

Here is the entry where they talk about it:

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2007/12/help-of-holy-innocents.html

"I wonder what her family thinks of all of this? Obviously, if she plays cello, she came from an upper-middle income family. Not many poor kids going to Smith."

Er, or not. I've played the cello since I was 7 years old and my family was never upper-middle class. The school I attended required all students to learn an instrument for 6 months and the school provided the instruments and classes. I just kept on with it. My parents rented-to-buy my cello (which cost over 3000 and took them ages to pay off even with my mother getting a discount because she was a music teacher). I continued playing the cello when my parents were literally bankrupt because I got a music scholarship to a state school with a special interest music program.

Everyone I went to class with played at least one instrument and many of them were so poor that their families gave up everything for them to be able to play their instrument. They weren't even middle class, let alone 'upper-middle'.

Her family (as in her parents) are very well off.

This is not the first time Abigail has written a post about 'losing friends'. She never really goes into detail on what's actually happening. She gives no specifics. She doesn't provide examples, like, "I announced my pregnancy and this woman I'd considered a good friend instantly sent me an insulting Facebook message, and then unfriended me - and I've been trying to call another friend for two weeks but she won't return my calls." This leads me to suspect that Abigail is, once again, full of shit. She used to post about how it was SO HARD to even make friends, so my suspicion is that, because she never really even made friends, she's now just saying that she lost them. She has an insatiable need to feel persecuted.

Lung transplant is not a cure for CF. you don't get lungs until you need them IF you choose to get them at all, and lots with CF do not go for lung transplants. Even then new lungs extend the life with CF an average if 5-7 years as opposed to the 20 years other lung recipients experience. The sinuses that drip into those new lungs still have CF and eventually most lung recipients do start culturing garbage again.

Right now, kids get priority over pediatric lungs but they don't show up that frequently. Putting adult lungs in kids is risky, the girl at CHOP who sued is not doing so well for all the reasons it's currently against the rules.

New lungs won't cure CF and don't alter what it is like to live with CF. It's just another layer of yuck to addto the yuck you already live in.

There is NO WAY Abigail could and would rise to the level of care and attention required for this disease.

I just do not understand why this woman and her husband woud want to play the gentic card so much. If I knew their was a chance I could have a child w/ a cronic illness, I would do everything medically necessary to make sure that does not happen.

I just do not understand why this woman and her husband woud want to play the gentic card so much. If I knew their was a chance I could have a child w/ a cronic illness, I would do everything medically necessary to make sure that does not happen.

Because we actually care about the well-being of even our hypothetical children. They're not just another notch in the "I'm oh so holy!" column for us.

Archived