IGNORED

2 Chicken breasts revisited

Koala

I love meat, and tend to have a really lousy diet, but even I know that it really isn't healthy to have meat be the focus of your meal planning.

This. Humans aren't strict carnivores, so we need more than just a focus on meat as part of meals.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you simply must have chicken the boneless (or bone them yourself) chicken thighs are cheaper and tastier than breast meat.

Personal opinion time: I LOATHE chicken thighs- they taste too greasy and like blood for me. I dislike dark meat in general, though- but I certainly won't argue that it is cheaper. (I also won't complain if they're, say, used in a casserole-type dish, or in soup. I just don't like dark meat for eating as a main protein flavor.) I buy whole chickens and use all of the chicken, either by roasting and using all the bits, or by cutting them apart and letting my husband have the dark meat pieces for when he cooks for himself, personally.

While two chicken breasts for 7-9 people is seriously undercutting protein needs of growing kids and adults, a preference for white meat may be partly for flavor concerns. I do agree that chicken isn't needed in alfredo sauce- if any more protein needs to be added, chuck in a (tempered) egg. GREENS are a better idea than more "white food"- it's a freaking carb and fat BOMB of a meal. I'd sooner do alfredo sauce on chicken with greens, vs fettucine alfredo- at least then you don't get the carb load of all that pasta. (Even though all the pasta I eat these days is 5g/carbs a s1.5 cup erving, vs the 45g+ of a 1.5 cup serving of regular pasta. (And who eats just one and a half cups of pasta?!) I aim for meals around about ~25-35g of carbs.)

caveat: I am a pastry arts grad, and have had a fair amount of time in line kitchens, as well as being married to an adult-onset type 1 diabetic. I know a lot about cooking and nutrition, for individuals and large groups!

If I had to use 2 chicken breasts to feed 7-9 people with not a lot of money, I would buy celery, carrots, and onions (all cheap) along with a small piece of fresh ginger, some garlic powder, some cornstarch, a bottle of soy sauce, and a little rice wine. The garlic powder would be cheaper than fresh garlic around here and the cornstarch, soy sauce, and rice wine would all stretch for other meals. I would also get some oil--peanut or canola--and a big bag of white rice with a small bag of brown rice.

First, look up the directions for cooking brown and white rice in the same pot--they're online. Use 1/4 brown rice to 3/4 white; this will provide some extra fiber and vitamins without putting off people who don't like the taste of brown rice.

While the rice is cooking, cut up the ginger, the chicken (partly frozen is easiest) and the vegetables for stir fry. Put the ingredients for the sauce in a jar and shake well.

When the rice is done, set aside while you rapidly stir-fry the chicken and vegetables; searing the chicken will help bring out some flavor. Add the sauce, toss, and serve everyone stir-fry and rice.

If the chicken breasts came with bones and skin, you can quickly make a broth with the bones, skin, more onion/celery/carrot, salt, and seasonings if available. Make egg drop soup with the broth and serve cups of this soup with the stir-fry and rice for a protein boost and to make it more filling. Serve tea with the meal for a basic Chinese dinner. If they're selling 5-pound bags of satsumas for a decent price, offer them as well.

Like a lot of fundamentalist "angels in the house," Kelly is not a good cook.

I honestly can't tell you how many breasts I use for cooking. I cook my meats by poundage. Most of my kids are now pre-teen or teen and eat tons, but for a family of 10, I need 3lb of chicken if it's being mixed into something. If it's stand alone, I need 5lb. I actually need 6lb if I'm trying to make basic BBQ because I have three boys who will refuse to eat any sides and hover over the plate of chicken like a pack of hoovers.

We buy our cow on the hoof and pay for processing which saves us a ton. When using hamburger, I need 2lb if it's being mixed into something and 3lb if it something like tacos so it's meat heavy. I don't know why I need more chicken than beef but I do.

I can't figure out how much meet I need for cow that is not hamburger. I seem to either get it too much or too little and the kids aren't consistent. We're never sure if we'll have left-overs, or whether Dh and I will be scrounging for leftovers in the kitchen for roasts, steaks, etc.

For rice dishes, we need 5 cups of rice raw, makes more cooked. For pasta, we need 3lb of pasta raw. I try to have enough to have at least one serving left over. I have three children with food deprivation in their past and psychologically if we don't have leftovers most of the time, they feel they aren't getting enough food. So, my quantities are slightly heavy.

What surprises me is that I've seen fundies deliberately underfeeding their children for a decade and a half BUT it was something that was rather hush, hush. I am seeing an alarming trend of fundies being open and boasting of deliberately underfeeding their children. I am concerned that the trend has become so persistent that it has become normalized for these groups and they no longer feel the guilt and shame that made it so hush, hush previously. I'm very concerned that this open boasting about it is going to encourage even more and the trend seems to be growing.

What surprises me is that I've seen fundies deliberately underfeeding their children for a decade and a half BUT it was something that was rather hush, hush. I am seeing an alarming trend of fundies being open and boasting of deliberately underfeeding their children. I am concerned that the trend has become so persistent that it has become normalized for these groups and they no longer feel the guilt and shame that made it so hush, hush previously. I'm very concerned that this open boasting about it is going to encourage even more and the trend seems to be growing.

I am concerned as well. We know of a family where the father seems to strictly monitor food. It's very toubling

Thanks for posting this topic, Koala. When I read LL's blog entry the other day and ol' Kelly-2-breasts immediately came to my mind.

I guess it's fashionable among the fundie set to have umpty billlion kids and then complain about having to feed them sufficient foods of acceptable quality.

After all, isn't that Jesus would do?

Someone mentioned the bacon upthread and I noticed that too. If you had a limited amount of money to spend, why on earth would you waste it on bacon? It's not healthy and it doesn't go very far. And I still can't get over the smoothie for dinner. Like I said, my kids would think I had lost my everloving mind.

I buy bacon whenever it goes on clearance because it's so delicious--but it's a flavoring agent, not a main dish! You can put a couple of slices in your scalloped potatoes, use 1 teaspoon of bacon grease per egg when frying eggs, etc.

Is Kelly one of those silly people who qualifies for food aid but refuses to use it? You can't live the lush life on CSFP/food banks/SNAP/TEFAP/WIC, but they do help.

Seconded on the bacon as a flavoring agent. However, I doubt many of these fundie families are using it merely as a flavoring agent.

Almost certainly Kelly does qualify for SNAP/WIC/"food stamps" of some sort, but every fundie family I see seems to consider it a point of pride that they REFYOOSE TO LIVE OFF THE PEOPLE'S DOLLAHS. Nevermind that plenty of good folks flat-out need the help food assistance provides- most of all somebody feeding elebenty kids!

I know plenty of hospitals everywhere I've lived go ahead and apply for pretty much every woman who gives birth WIC, and iirc, a vast majority are just given a book of WIC checks- it's a bit easier for people to use WIC checks without the social "shame" of asking for them when you already have a need, vs having them and using them without having to ask at the county office.

I wonder how many fundie kids are going to escape and go to an actual doctor for a bloodwork panel, and discover they've got diabetes or something worse, from their horrible diets growing up. Cheap carbs do not a balanced diet make.

Here's what I don't understand. Why do these families insist on having meat at nearly every meal? Their money could go a lot farther if they tried some vegetarian stuff. They're trying to imitate the old fashioned farm families of the past, but they don't seem to realize that those families would have had meat only on special occasions. If your food budget is too tight, the first resort is to stop having meat at nearly every meal. It does seem like she uses beans somewhat, so she should really expand on that and go with it. I can't believe there's so much bacon. She's either spending tons of money on meat, or buying the lowest quality stuff available. No matter how much you love meat, at some point you have to decide that lentils are preferable over cheap gristly stuff. I don't even want to think about the quality of the cheap hot dogs she must buy; even the mid-price ones are sort of a catch-all. I mean, I love hot dogs but the cheap ones are so gross.

Exactly.

Country-living families of the recent past (30's to 60's) had the bonus of having some chickens living in the back, so eggs where plentyful, as well as chicken meat once in a while. They likely had a vegetable garden and bartered with families that owned cows and beefs. As you said, they didn't eat meat every meal. I don't get their menu ideas at all, these "2 breasts for 9" people.

If she has a good butcher shop nearby she can buy different cuts of meals for a month for a decent price. Families that size all own a big freezer, so...

I don't get the amount of bacon in her diet either. Yuck.

Personal opinion time: I LOATHE chicken thighs- they taste too greasy and like blood for me. I dislike dark meat in general, though- but I certainly won't argue that it is cheaper. (I also won't complain if they're, say, used in a casserole-type dish, or in soup. I just don't like dark meat for eating as a main protein flavor.) I buy whole chickens and use all of the chicken, either by roasting and using all the bits, or by cutting them apart and letting my husband have the dark meat pieces for when he cooks for himself, personally.

While two chicken breasts for 7-9 people is seriously undercutting protein needs of growing kids and adults, a preference for white meat may be partly for flavor concerns. I do agree that chicken isn't needed in alfredo sauce- if any more protein needs to be added, chuck in a (tempered) egg. GREENS are a better idea than more "white food"- it's a freaking carb and fat BOMB of a meal. I'd sooner do alfredo sauce on chicken with greens, vs fettucine alfredo- at least then you don't get the carb load of all that pasta. (Even though all the pasta I eat these days is 5g/carbs a s1.5 cup erving, vs the 45g+ of a 1.5 cup serving of regular pasta. (And who eats just one and a half cups of pasta?!) I aim for meals around about ~25-35g of carbs.)

caveat: I am a pastry arts grad, and have had a fair amount of time in line kitchens, as well as being married to an adult-onset type 1 diabetic. I know a lot about cooking and nutrition, for individuals and large groups!

Ditto for what I bolded.

I'm not crazy about fettucini alfredo or spaghetti ala carbonara, not because of the taste but because of the carb overload! I try not to cook meals that look too beige-ish.

I'm not diabetic although there were many diabetics in my (recent) family tree. I know about carbs, protein, fat, etc...due to my being stuck in the "The Zone" diet craze in 1999 or so. It's crazy to stick to that diet, even more so with the Atkins one, but they did have some sensible ideas re: not having too much simple carbs in one meal.

In all honesty, I feel that if more people went to diabetic diet, we'd have better health in the US, in general. But what do I know! People gonna eat their deep-fried carby goodness.

We try to use meats as a flavoring more than as a staple, if that makes sense---not to save money, but to help Mr. Dysfundamental keep his cholesterol low. So we make a lot of things like chicken and cauliflower curry, or chorizo and kidney bean stew, or a salade Nicoise with fresh tuna. And chili with black beans is always a favorite.

If I was trying to keep my food budget down like LL, I'd be making chilis and chickpea stews and similar, instead of homeopathic doses of chicken in my Alfredo sauce.

I am diabetic, and when I see fundie meal plans for many of them all I can think of us how carb heavy they are. If I ate that way my blood sugar would be out of control. On the Duggar show once they were eating Cincinnati chili AND putting crackers on top of it. That's chili over spagetti noodles with crackers. Carb on carb.

I am diabetic, and when I see fundie meal plans for many of them all I can think of us how carb heavy they are. If I ate that way my blood sugar would be out of control. On the Duggar show once they were eating Cincinnati chili AND putting crackers on top of it. That's chili over spagetti noodles with crackers. Carb on carb.

Isn't Cincinnati chili the version with all meat in it, no beans (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm)? It's the pasta underneath that's carb-laden!

Isn't Cincinnati chili the version with all meat in it, no beans (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm)? It's the pasta underneath that's carb-laden!

Yea but then they had crackers on top of it,another carby food. So crackers and pasta in the same meal, and I did not see a veg on the side or anything. I'm not saying all carbs are bad or anything that just looked like a lot if carbs for one dish

Yea but then they had crackers on top of it,another carby food. So crackers and pasta in the same meal, and I did not see a veg on the side or anything. I'm not saying all carbs are bad or anything that just looked like a lot if carbs for one dish

Cincinnati chili is served many ways.

Bowl: chili in a bowl

Two-way: chili and spaghetti

Three-way: chili, spaghetti, and cheese

Four-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions

Five-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans

and optionally, the:

Four-way bean: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and beans (beans substituted for the onions)

So LL has iPadS - not one, but multiple - and feeds her kids smoothies for dinner. Got it.

Chilli with spaghetti? Is that like a Mexican/Italian hybrid? :lol:

I tend to have ciabatta with most pasta dishes so I suppose that is carb, carb.

What I never get is serving Macaroni cheese with another main dish. I mean that is a meal by itself. A delicious totally fat laden carb yummy. Serving it with anything else looks like a heart attack to me :lol:

I agree with a lot of comments here. Meat does not have to be the focus of every meal. I love my meat and when I serve it, I make sure there is plenty maybe erring on too much and that is the best quality I can afford and get. If I can't do either of those I make something else delicious, nutritious and fresh. I use meat maybe 3 times a week in some form. Fish also.

If all she can come up with is 2 chicken breasts for that amount of people she should think about how many kids she can afford IF she wants to afford and give them chicken. Not deprive or under serve. Plenty of other foods out there.

I live to eat. Not eat to live. Food is my biggest love and hobby. These fundies make me cry.

Chilli with spaghetti? Is that like a Mexican/Italian hybrid? :lol:

I tend to have ciabatta with most pasta dishes so I suppose that is carb, carb.

What I never get is serving Macaroni cheese with another main dish. I mean that is a meal by itself. A delicious totally fat laden carb yummy. Serving it with anything else looks like a heart attack to me :lol:

I agree with a lot of comments here. Meat does not have to be the focus of every meal. I love my meat and when I serve it, I make sure there is plenty maybe erring on too much and that is the best quality I can afford and get. If I can't do either of those I make something else delicious, nutritious and fresh. I use meat maybe 3 times a week in some form. Fish also.

If all she can come up with is 2 chicken breasts for that amount of people she should think about how many kids she can afford IF she wants to afford and give them chicken. Not deprive or under serve. Plenty of other foods out there.

I live to eat. Not eat to live. Food is my biggest love and hobby. These fundies make me cry.

I'm from the Deep American South originally. For us, it's a side dish to be served with other heart attack inducing side dishes, followed by the customary shot glass of gravy that will be left over from dousing everything else on your plate- which has probably been flavored either with bacon or bacon drippings- with said gravy. Is it any wonder that, last I checked, South Carolina had the highest rate of heart attacks and open heart surgery in the nation? :lol: Confession: God I miss that cooking!

I'm from the Deep American South originally. For us, it's a side dish to be served with other heart attack inducing side dishes, followed by the customary shot glass of gravy that will be left over from dousing everything else on your plate- which has probably been flavored either with bacon or bacon drippings- with said gravy. Is it any wonder that, last I checked, South Carolina had the highest rate of heart attacks and open heart surgery in the nation? :lol: Confession: God I miss that cooking!

Scotland could give you a run for it's money on those statistics :lol:

At a place near my work (and therefore very popular with coworkers) they have a lunch option of half fillet with baked potato. Except you can switch the potato for mac and cheese. The creamiest, cheesiest and most decadent mac and cheese I've ever had. I've never gotten anything else there and by coincidence I've now been there twice in two weeks. YUM.

Food is one of my guilty pleasures, almost too much so - a pleasure so many of these Fundie kids will never know with their families.

One of the comments on her blog mentioned 2 chicken breasts for 7 as meager protein portions. She replied that they were the "big ones" from Costco.

I get the bigs ones from costco that come two in a pack. I usually stretch them out for 3-4 servings depending upon what I am making although I can get a higher yield if I make say a stir-fry. Sometimes I find the pack has one full breast and then one partial as it's missing the tenderloin piece.

It beggars belief how much some of these fundies seem to resent having to feed their blessings. I'm used to looking at food as both pleasure and nourishment, not to mention hold to a philosophy that you always get the highest quality food you can afford. That doesn't translate into meat every day, but it does translate that food takes priority over tithing, chorepaks, and new Bible covers.

Even if there wasn't the issue of too small portions, I can't imagine having a smoothie as the entire content of my dinner unless I'm sick and can't eat anything else. That's just weird.

Archived