IGNORED

Story about Warren Jeffs on 20/20

The episode airing on ABC now on the east coast has a "report on the effects of Warren Jeffs". I haven't caught any teasers yet, so I'm not sure how much new info (if any) will be featured. Full episodes of 20/20 are usually available on ABC's website after they air.

I'm watching too! The devout Christian man who mysteriously left his wife and five children to live as a gay man reminded me of some of the fundies we snark on... The pecan thief's future maybe?

I watched that this evening. They featured a boy that left Colorado City that is now some sort of print model, which is a drastic change from fundie ville to say the least! I could totally be off the mark here, but it seems like they really exaggerated his lack of education. I realize SODRT is a very real thing, but they showed him not being able to read the word dogs or son properly at the age of 19. Is that realistic for that community? Maybe it was just too dumbfounding to find validity in for me? I hope that doesn't sound naive...

The FLDS used to teach basics like reading and math but Warren Jeffs kept making it more and more restrictive until all they taught was church history and memorization of Jeff's edicts. They are just bred to be workers. I'm sure some know how to read but most will never know who is president or that we walked on the moon. One article I read said a young man went to the ocean for the first time and was gagging on the water he drank. He had no idea about saltwater.

This 20/20 was all recycled material except for a couple shots of the kid as a "model" now. Kind of a bummer, but the disappearing gay dad story was interesting.

":3r1sp13t]I watched that this evening. They featured a boy that left Colorado City that is now some sort of print model, which is a drastic change from fundie ville to say the least! I could totally be off the mark here, but it seems like they really exaggerated his lack of education. I realize SODRT is a very real thing, but they showed him not being able to read the word dogs or son properly at the age of 19. Is that realistic for that community? Maybe it was just too dumbfounding to find validity in for me? I hope that doesn't sound naive...

The boys are sent off on work duty at a young age. They are free labor. They miss going to school because they are always working. They done even have time for SODRT.

Archived