IGNORED

The Truth About Oprah and The Duggars

blisterine

I remember Oprah: The Sensational Years, too. I seem to remember a riot breaking out in the audience during one taping; the show's topic was race relations.

If 19KAC is starting up again in September, I'm sure we'll be treated to talk-show appearances. My money is on the new show hosted by Elisabeth Hasselbeck on FOX. Katie Couric would never agree to any restrictions on questions, and they'd refuse to appear on Ellen or "The Talk".

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay can I just say if the Duggars were on Ellen, I would watch? I would LOVE to see how the kids would act, what Ellen would say, etc.

I have no problem with rumours that the Duggars filmed a segment for Oprah that never aired. It may or may not be true, but there's nothing malicious behind it. The problem I have is with the rumours about WHY it never aired. Some of them ARE very malicious, and have absolutely no evidence to back them up. If people were saying, "I wonder if it was because..." that would be one thing, but the issue is with people saying, "It never aired because Jim Bob said they caught Josh molesting someone!!" Other people assume it's true, and it just spreads from there.

Seriously. Spreading completely unfounded rumors about molestation, incest etc is incredibly irresponsible and could be devastating to actual human beings. Can you imagine if some future employer googled your name and something like that came up ? Or just your kids friends parents down the street happened to have read it here, and wouldn't let the kids play at your house. Or many other horrible and completely unfair consequences.

Oprah and every other talk show at that time was of the trashy, confrontational type. One incident that sticks out in my mind is the murder of Scott Amedure. In an episode of the Jenny Jones show that never aired (a portion of it is on YouTube), Amedure admitted to his friend, Jonathan Schmitz that he had a crush on him. 3 days later Schmitz killed Amedure. Just Google for additional details. Then of course there was the skinhead brawl on the Geraldo Rivera show which led to Geraldo getting a broken nose (there's a YouTube video of that). There are probably others, but those are the 2 I can recall off the top of my head.

ETA: Left out some details

Thanks for this, RosyDaisy. And here I've been going out of my mind because I can clearly remember guests attacking one another on Oprah's show 25+ years ago, a la Jerry Springer style, but I can't find a single clip of the show to support that.

I remember the Scott Amedure case and mentioned it earlier in the thread. There was a documentary that aired years ago called 'Talked to Death.' It discussed all the bad behavior that talk shows and their hosts were guilty of, including faking and killing shows where the hosts came across as looking bad. I still vote that Oprah could have met with the Duggars and made educational offers for the kids, but then chose to kill the whole show off and hide its body, so to speak, when Jim Bob insisted that he have things his own way.

As for publically throwing Josh under the bus, I wonder how that whole issue was phrased during the interview...Jim Bob might've been willing to admit he thought Josh sinned, especially when free money and resources were dangled within his reach in exchange for the information, but I'm not sure he would've been willing to concede masturbation as that specific sin.

I remember Oprah: The Sensational Years, too. I seem to remember a riot breaking out in the audience during one taping; the show's topic was race relations.

That was on Geraldo Rivera's show. Somebody threw a chair or a stool or something, and it hit Geraldo in the face. Link not broken b/c it's the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/04/nyreg ... -show.html

Was there a live audience during the interview? Were the Duggars paid for the interview? Was there a list of questions Oprah could not ask?

I don't know anything about Oprah, but I do have very strong reason to believe the Duggars do screen their questions. Back in 2011 when I was still blogging about fundamentalism, someone from a radio show contacted me for some background on their beliefs. She asked me what I would ask them if I could, and I gave a few questions that weren't disrespectful. I don't remember what, exactly, but I purposely worded them so they were sightly harder questions while still sounding pretty benign, and not nearly as hard-hitting as some of the things I would really like to ask. She was pretty interested in the questions and the answers I thought they would give and said she would ask, or would try, I can't remember her exact words. When the interview aired, she didn't ask a single one. It was all the exact same bs they'd given over and over. So either she was just being nice and didn't like my questions after all, or the Duggars shot them down.

I know this is going to sound completely insane, but for a while in the 90s those trashy talk shows were one of the only things* that kept me going mentally/emotionally. I was a 7th grader, extremely depressed and so full of self-loathing that I would veil the mirrors when my parents weren't home. Watching Jenny Jones, Sally Jesse, etc. made me feel less alone - they often interviewed young girls and women with issues similar to mine, not to mention people who made my issues look relatively minor. It was terrible junk TV, but somehow, it helped.

*The other thing was "My So-Called Life." ;)

These people are so obsessed with giving "good report" no matter what that they won't even call others out on even small mistakes. Ain't no way they ever gave bad report on Josh

If the Oprah interview with the Duggars was taped at the TTC, this would have happened some ten years after that Jenny Jones episode. By that point, Oprah had long since abandoned her trashy talk show format in favor of a more positive focus. I remember the trashy talk show era very well; it started in the late 1980s and reached its peak in the mid-1990s. But then along came reality TV and most of those shows fizzled. Why watch badly behaved people in a television studio when you can observe them in their natural habitat?

I was answering a question about how some talk shows were in the 80's and 90's and provided 2 violent events that occurred. I wasn't implying that the unaired Duggar episode on Oprah was related to the trashy talk show format of the 80's and 90's or to the examples I gave. Anyway, I kind of wish JB and Michelle would appear on talk show and get their asses handed to them and blow the lid off of these religious sects. But then again, that could potentially hurt their children...well...the younger ones, anyway.

Archived