IGNORED

The Truth About Oprah and The Duggars

blisterine

I have known this for years and I kept it to myself because the person who told me worked for Harpo productions and I was sworn to secrecy.

This person lost their job when the Oprah talk show went off the air. I think the time has come to spill the beans. Enough time has passed that no one can trace it back to her.

The Duggars went to Chicago to film an episode that never aired. She asked the hard hitting questions and was rebuffed every time with replies like "we can't answer that", "we don't want to tarnish our image", "to answer that might lead others to stray."

Oprah did offer full college scholarships to all the children, provided they had either an official GED if they were old enough/had progressed enough to pass a GED, and that all the other children go to public school immediately and stay in until graduation. Jim Bob wanted to take the money and use it to get them apprenticeships. Oprah said no. Jim Bob and Michelle refused the conditions placed on her original offer, so the offer was withdrawn.

The only thing that was answered was the fact that Jim Bob blamed Josh for losing the election. Josh was caught practicing Onanism- masturbating. It was also thought that Josh had fornicated with a girl, not the one to which he was he was betrothed. There was a dowry involved, so Jim Bob was probably pissed he missed out on the addition to his bottom line. I kind of wondered at the time why he would tell this and not answer the other questions. But since he threw him dead father under the bus, I don't doubt he threw Josh under the bus instead of taking any of the blame on the fact he just didn't get enough votes.

I got this explanation from someone who broke their confidentiality agreement by telling me. She called me at lunch on her cellphone and I had given her my cellphone number. We were both aware it could have cost both of us our jobs if it got out she was giving me confidential information. I referred her to free jinger if she wanted to know more. I don't know if she ever came here. I don't have a way to contact her now.

Believe it or not, this is what I was told. I have been busting at the buttons to tell it, but kept it under my hat. In one of the other threads, people are doubting it ever happened. According to my source, it did. The details fit right in with Jim Bob and Michelle wanting to keep their children under their control and "keeping their brand pure."

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blisterine,

I'm wondering, though, why Oprah would not have aired an episode like that? It seems like that would be a very interesting, high ratings, episode for her, if they truly gave those kinds of answers. Did your friend mention why Oprah did not air that episode?

You can't name your source. You can't present any actual evidence for your accusations. I think everyone on this forum can attest to the fact that just because someone on the internet says that something really truly happened doesn't mean it actually did. I find it particularly unbelievable that Jim Bob Duggar would come straight out and tell Oprah that, a) Josh masturbated, b) Josh fornicated, and c) Josh was betrothed and there was a dowry involved. He could share that, but he couldn't answer other questions because he didn't want to tarnish their image? I don't think so.

Everyone here is capable of coming to their own conclusions, but forgive me if I'm far from convinced that anything like this actually happened.

Blisterine,

I'm wondering, though, why Oprah would not have aired an episode like that? It seems like that would be a very interesting, high ratings, episode for her, if they truly gave those kinds of answers. Did your friend mention why Oprah did not air that episode?

From what I understand, it didn't give any answers other than variations on "no comment." She didn't mention anything about TLC but maybe they didn't want it aired.

I got the impression that Oprah was upset her generosity was refused. Have you ever seen an episode where anyone refused the largess offered by Oprah? All I have ever seen is people screaming, crying and gushing thanks, not trying to bargain with her and then saying no.

I really don't know the answer. I wish I could find out for you. I was too stunned to ask many questions. This was back when I thought the Duggars were just one big, Jesus-loving, used-clothes-wearing, happy family.

I also don't believe that anyone would say they'll give you money for college but not for an apprenticeship. Well, maybe someone who's never hired an electrician or plumber. And Oprah doesn't hand out college scholarships to every homeschool family provided they stop homeschooling. It just sounds false, so I doubt the whole story.

And, why would something that's only a scadal in fundieland lose you an election?

If this is real, Jimbob and Michelle are awful parents for refusing the opportunity of a lifetime to these poor kids. How else would someone get 19 kids into college? They just dont want their kids to succeed or do anything good in life. They want to keep them uneducated so they dont have a chance in the world. I really hope that at least one of those kids gets out and makes something of themselves. All those dreams the kids must have, crushed. At this point, I can only assume that they had tons of kids because crushed child spirits make Tater Tot Casserole taste extra good.

I dont think that Oprah would offer money only if a homeschooling family stopped homeschooling, or not let them choose apprenticeship as well-what if one of those kids really really wanted to be a plumber or builder or something?

I seriously hope Jimbob didnt publically say that he caught Josh masturbating. How embarassing. Josh, fap all you want, theres nothing wrong with it.

::Thunk:: That was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

And yeah, assume that I'm taking the whole thing with a very healthy dose of salt because you may not be who you seem. :) No truer than all other rumors, let us not repeat as it as fact, and all that cautionary stuff.

Jim Bob Duggar has always struck me as being very street smart for such an uneducated twit. I can see him signing a contract with the proviso that he needs final approval over the final product. Or something. Any clarification on that, Blisterine?

Most of the above sounds fairly possible. And consistent with Oprah in her role of "hard" interviewer. She places high value on education. The throwing of Josh under the bus in particular is typical of the Boob. He might have admitted the above under pressure from Oprah, and then pulled the plug on the interview afterwards. Who knows?

One of the things that really doesn't sound right is the dowry. I've not seen any references to dowries in my research into ATI families. Anyone?

::Thunk:: That was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

And yeah, assume that I'm taking the whole thing with a very healthy dose of salt because you may not be who you seem. :) No truer than all other rumors, let us not repeat as it as fact, and all that cautionary stuff.

Jim Bob Duggar has always struck me as being very street smart for such an uneducated twit. I can see him signing a contract with the proviso that he needs final approval over the final product. Or something. Any clarification on that, Blisterine?

Most of the above sounds fairly possible. And consistent with Oprah in her role of "hard" interviewer. She places high value on education. The throwing of Josh under the bus in particular is typical of the Boob. He might have admitted the above under pressure from Oprah, and then pulled the plug on the interview afterwards. Who knows?

One of the things that really doesn't sound right is the dowry. I've not seen any references to dowries in my research into ATI families. Anyone?

My jaw hit the floor too. Weather it's true or not, it's a damn good story.

I am not saying I believe the OP. If it is true I can easily see Oprah offering full scholarships to the children, especially the girls. She is such a believer in the power of education. I also could believe she would put those kinds of strings on it, not because she is anti-skilled labor but she would want to give the D children the chance to see more of life than the tiny view presented by their parents. The goal of education is to experience all kinds of things the world has to offer. To open ones mind, explore the possibilities, and to think for yourself. All of the things Jim-Bob and Michelle are against. They don't want their children to stray from their control.

Yes, I can see Jim Bob throwing any one of his sons under the bus (he literally threw Josiah to the ground during a paintball game for heaven's sake) but I have trouble imagining him acknowledging that Josh might have "fornicated".

So I'm not sure what to make of this story. However, I do think it's important to keep in mind that the Duggars we see on the TLC show and at public events are not the real people who live in the creepy TTH. There's a lot going on that we will never know anything about. At least until James finds his ghostwriter. (I'm telling ya'll, that's the kid to watch.)

Oddly enough, the restrictions on the scholarships rang reasonably true to me.

Not to derail the thread, but Oprah is a philanthropist who likes to retain control and wants things her way.

Way back when, I took major issue with her school for girls in South Africa. Instead of taking local South African input*, which pretty much said "the good of many over a very few," she bulldozed her way ahead and set up this very fancy school. As in luxury accommodations, the best possible luxury linens and such like.

That school has been plagued by misfortune and horrible scandal ever since. Very googlable if you want the details.

* No need to believe me either, but I have a South African friend (a political exile/refugee in the US until the return of Mandela) whose advice to Oprah on the school was very rudely rejected.

I found this out when I didn't know about the ATI/Gothardism and I doubted it too. But after what has been uncovered, it started to make sense.

E. told me that Jim Bob said he lost the election because Josh practiced Onanism- she thought it was like Wicca! When I explained that it was masturbation, she laughed her ass off.

I have started to post this several times but I knew some people would think it to be false. You can take it like I do- a story told by an employee to another person. You can believe it or not, I am simply repeating what I was told. It does make sense that Oprah wouldn't want to give money for college to kids who might not have an adequate education to actually do college level work- not kids playing at homeschooling with Wisdom books and Switched on Schoolhouse.

If you don't believe it, fine. You won't hurt my feelings. I am simply repeating what I was told. Take it with a grain of salt, a dash of pepper and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I am only repeating what I was told by an employee who was in good standing with Harpo productions when she told me. It wasn't like she had an axe to grind or anything.

I also don't believe that anyone would say they'll give you money for college but not for an apprenticeship. Well, maybe someone who's never hired an electrician or plumber. And Oprah doesn't hand out college scholarships to every homeschool family provided they stop homeschooling. It just sounds false, so I doubt the whole story.

And, why would something that's only a scadal in fundieland lose you an election?

God saw the sin in the camp and punished Jim Bob for failing in his patriarchal duties. Not scandal, but sin!!!!eleventy!!!!!

Jin Bob was not worthy in the eyes of God to fulfill the mission of politician because of Josh's normal non-sinful behavior in (allegedly) masturbating. Barf.

So, if I understand correctly, Oprah interviewed...Jim Bob or the whole family? And Jim Bob was refusing to answer questions that might make his family look bad. But then Oprah asked what "sin in the camp" meant (?) and Jim Bob came right out and said they caught Josh masturbating.

Before this thread, what proof, if any, did we have suggesting that Oprah interviewed them? I've seen a lot of rumours on forums, but nothing as to the source of them.

If this is true, I wonder if the tapes are still out there somewhere.

I didn't find this post particularly jaw-dropping, because all it is is a combination of the Oprah rumour and the sin-in-the-camp rumour. I also have to disagree that Jim Bob would throw Josh under the bus by exposing to all of America that he had been masturbating and fornicating. The dowry thing is totally ridiculous. Even if it were true, Jim Bob must know that it would seem absolutely insane to everybody watching. Why would a savvy businessman like Jim Bob who's been working for years to promote his family as a wholesome Christian example to all of America have no qualms about admitting such things on national television? It makes no sense.

All I'm saying is that I've seen countless nice, honest people on the internet earnestly insist that they know someone (often a mother, sister-in-law, or best friend) who knew someone who named their twins Orangejello and Lemonjello.

I find it hard to believe that a national talk show wouldn't do a better job vetting guests to find people who would actually answer the questions.

I am only repeating what I was told by an employee who was in good standing with Harpo productions when she told me. It wasn't like she had an axe to grind or anything.

People are skeptical not because of who allegedly leaked the info, but because the person relaying it to us is a longtime member of a Duggar snark forum and internet stranger. If it's true, though, thanks for relaying it.

I didn't find this post particularly jaw-dropping, because all it is is a combination of the Oprah rumour and the sin-in-the-camp rumour. I also have to disagree that Jim Bob would throw Josh under the bus by exposing to all of America that he had been masturbating and fornicating. The dowry thing is totally ridiculous. Even if it were true, Jim Bob must know that it would seem absolutely insane to everybody watching. Why would a savvy businessman like Jim Bob who's been working for years to promote his family as a wholesome Christian example to all of America have no qualms about admitting such things on national television? It makes no sense.

All I'm saying is that I've seen countless nice, honest people on the internet earnestly insist that they know someone (often a mother, sister-in-law, or best friend) who knew someone who named their twins Orangejello and Lemonjello.

I agree... It also makes no sense that they declined to answer other questions but chose to disclose that Josh masturbated and had sex. :wtf:

I'm calling bullshit on the OP.

There is absolutely no way that the "sin in the camp" thing would have ever been said by the Duggars to Oprah or her staff. We know how they talk in interviews and on their show, even how they dealt with Josh marrying Anna, and they simply don't talk like that, nor would they criticize a child of theirs in public about something sexual. "Sin in the camp" seems to be one of those rumors that goes wild but which never had a lot of substance to it.

There's enough verifiable stuff to snark on, we don't need to make stuff up.

Does anyone know the origin of the Oprah and Duggar rumor? I know this has been discussed before here on FJ. It is also been discussed on twop and IMDB. I don't think we will ever know if the Duggars appeared on Oprah. I will say that I can picture Boob rejecting scholarship offers for his kids from anyone.

Good story but that's all it is a story.

Also do the Duggars say fornication wouldn't they say sexual intercourse.

I can't see them saying any of that about Josh. I know Jim would throw is boys under the bus but nope not that.

People are skeptical not because of who allegedly leaked the info, but because the person relaying it to us is a longtime member of a Duggar snark forum and internet stranger. If it's true, though, thanks for relaying it.

Oh, from TWOP? I only recognized her name from here.

Ok. That and the supremely unfortunate timing raises my raises level of skepticism from 99% to 99.99999%. Thanks.

I could have sworn that the Duggars had appeared on Oprah at least once. However, a quick google now tells me that the Duggar family have never appeared on Oprah.

Then I could have sworn that I saw Julia Child drop a whole turkey on the floor then pick it up and serve it. No, that was a Saturday Night Live spoof. It was a good one. :D

This is just a rehash of what people have been trying to figure out if it was ofDuggar who posted originally. Definitely posted on TWOP a couple of years ago. Nice story, old and being beat to death currently as well, though.

I don't think Oprah would demand anyone stop homeschooling and put their kids in public school. That's just rude and she is not anti homeschooling. She is also too smart to risk offending all homeschoolers.

Nor do I think anyone would discuss their son masturbating, especially the Duggars!

Archived