IGNORED

Did anyone watch "Virgin Tales"

Daenerys

Wow - the juxtaposition of the women's lives/conferences/teas with the super-important-DC-menfolk-movers and shakers was interesting. And the SIL who met her husband/Jordyn's brother at PHC while Jordyn eschews all higher education as a waste...

Not to mention the purity ball itself, of course - creepy as hell. Yeesh.

Scary to me that these people actually DO have the ear of some of the DC elites... :cray-cray:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought one of the most telling moments involved Creepy Dad's older son (Colton?) and his wife. They've only been married a year and it sounds like wife is a bit shocked to find out she really didn't know the man she was marrying.

"It's not our love that sustains our marriage. It's our marriage that sustains our love". Oh, my.

Old fashioned Satanic dating really can go a long way in weeding out the ones that aren't right for you.

I haven't found a place to watch it yet but have seen the trailer. The little girls dancing all in white at the purity ball...what is their obsession with the dance move where they lift up the tulle on their skirts in the front? Looks defrauding to me, and they do it over and over again!

I hope this shows up online, I really want to see it.

On another note, compared to most of the people here I am fairly conservative and hold quite a few values that seem "fundie" (make no mistake here though, I was the only girl on my baseball team for 10 years). However as I was watching this I realize how lucky I was to grow up the way I did. I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church (of which we are no longer members of -- our church is one on the Wartburg Watch although not SGM) yet my parents raised us to truly think for ourselves. My father never sat me down and talk about my purity and my mother never told me it was my responsibility to cover up for a man. Instead my father when I was 14 and going over to a boy's house (not yet my boyfriend?) to watch a movie just looked at me and said I trust you to make wise decisions (or something along those lines). And my mother once in a while suggested that a top may be too low cut to be appropriate or such things (I was quite the tomboy not many issues there). Bottom line? We were raised to know what values our church and family held and were raised to then make those decisions for ourselves.

I am 21 years old and have never kissed anyone nor had sex. However those have been MY decisions and MY choices. Brainwashing is not needed! (The kissing not so intentional... haha) Raise your kids to think for themselves and you might be surprised that "hey! maybe they do want to also keep those values!" Or maybe they don't. But that should be their choice.

My "purity" is not and has never been my father's concern and more importantly it shouldn't be anyone's concern but mine.

Sorry for the rant but I see these things and want to scream!!

I thought one of the most telling moments involved Creepy Dad's older son (Colton?) and his wife. They've only been married a year and it sounds like wife is a bit shocked to find out she really didn't know the man she was marrying.

"It's not our love that sustains our marriage. It's our marriage that sustains our love". Oh, my.

Old fashioned Satanic dating really can go a long way in weeding out the ones that aren't right for you.

Oh that whole confessional was sooooo awkward and sad. And the other sister's song about their friend dying in Iraq that made it seem like she had actual aspirations to be a military widow creeped me out.

And then my favorite - at the homeschoolers' conference when Mrs. Wilson talks about how she doesn't understand algebra but doesn't need to to homeschool because her god understands algebra?!?

Really there wasn't a normal scene in the movie.

I just had to point this out from Jordyn's charm school description:

If I was providing guests a tea party, I think it would be my responsibility to provide the damn tea cups.

It's starting to really shit me that all these fundies make the same mistake calling afternoon tea 'high tea'. Once again, high tea is a small supper for lower-middle class clerks and upper-class children and their nannies, served at 6pm. Afternoon tea is the ladies eating cucumber sandwiches between 4 and 5 o'clock one.

It just shows they never read anything, or bother to learn about any real traditions. They're just making this shit up as they go along and slapping the Bible label on it.

I want to watch this documentary but i don't have showtime, but these sort of documentaries always pull me in loool. I wonder when it will come online or if anyone knows were i can view it.

To be fair, I think that is a mistake that Americans in general tend to make, not just fundies.

Most Americans also don't go around calling it "high tea." We call that meal at 6pm dinner or supper.

Though I disagree with the movement, I think these docs have distorted those associated for their own agenda to show others how horrible these people are. I get the feeling that the purity movement gets the most hype of the chastity thing, but isn't the only thing. Its about fathers actively involved in their daughters lives to let them know how beautiful and special they are so they don't need to search for it. I went on many daddy daughter dates when I was younger which were not incestual and I think helped me have confidence and standards in my dating life in my 20s.

I just feel like people are too gullible when they watch these docs much like those politically driven docs that are always biased.

All documentaries, "political" or otherwise have an agenda. They are all biased because someone has to decide what to film, how much of it to film, and how it should be edited. To have even a somewhat unbiased documentary you'd have to set up a camera on street corner and let it roll, without editing the footage or adding commentary or music. (Even then though, consideration would have to be given to the particular street corner and when to start and stop filming which would be adding an element of bias.)

With that said, have you actually seen the film?

The specific people featured in the film may not be Gothardites because they dance and the girls sometime wear jeans, but they are 100% advocates of a patriarchal society in which girls and women are owned and controlled by their fathers until "God" brings them a Daddy-approved husband. Young women are not to receive any post high school education, and are instead to stay at home filling their hope chest until Prince Charming arrives. In the purity ball footage we see, unmarried females are dressed and behaving as fluttering virginal nymphs waiting to be plucked. The thought of deflowering them is a wet dream fantasy for MEN, not so much for these girls who are not allowed to choose their own path or even to avoid marrying someone they barely know just because Daddy knows best.

I'm glad you had dates with your father that you enjoyed but by projecting your experiences on to others, you are allowing your bias to cause you to oversimplify this movement.

Most Americans also don't go around calling it "high tea." We call that meal at 6pm dinner or supper.

No but I have seen restaurants advertise their tea service as "high tea" when it's more of the "afternoon tea" variety.

I watched this today on cable and it was pretty much what I expected. I was constantly distracted by two things, however. First, the HORRIBLE way those parents spelled their daughters' names. Kameryn? Khrystian? I kept wanting to add "Kardashian" to each name. The second distraction was how much Jordyn looked like she could be Sarah Michelle Geller's cousin.

But but But....High Tea sounds sooo much more elite! !!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!,eleventy!!!!

I got the feeling that the Wilsons have a desire to be seen as elite. Jordyn has that attitude. The funny thing is there are some people in the world that view education as an elite thing, while Jordyn thinks it's a waste.

I watched this today on cable and it was pretty much what I expected. I was constantly distracted by two things, however. First, the HORRIBLE way those parents spelled their daughters' names. Kameryn? Khrystian? I kept wanting to add "Kardashian" to each name. The second distraction was how much Jordyn looked like she could be Sarah Michelle Geller's cousin.

In the original doc, there as a scene where Randy had this cockamamie ceremony where he blessed his children and told each of them the meaning of their names. For Jordyn, he had a long rambling explanation. And yet, as long as it was, he never once said the word "descend," which is the actual meaning of Jordan/Jordyn.

It's gross. My Mom was around, and she watched part of it with us. At first she didn't understand why it upset me "but it's so nice that Dads get to spend time with their daughters." Then, she started really listening to what they were saying, and was totally disgusted.

Anyone have a link for this yet for us poor non-Americans? I watched the skeevy original and would love to follow up.

It really annoys me that they can't even spell the name of their own event on their website (Father-Daghter Purity Ball!)

I got the feeling that the Wilsons have a desire to be seen as elite. Jordyn has that attitude. The funny thing is there are some people in the world that view education as an elite thing, while Jordyn thinks it's a waste.

In the original doc, there as a scene where Randy had this cockamamie ceremony where he blessed his children and told each of them the meaning of their names. For Jordyn, he had a long rambling explanation. And yet, as long as it was, he never once said the word "descend," which is the actual meaning of Jordan/Jordyn.

In the original doc, he also says that the son's name means "leader of men" - I was like, shit he's just making this up. Alexander means leader of men. Colton is a fucking toponymic surname, meaning from a coal town.

And I thought of the Kardashians with the spelling, as well.

Archived