IGNORED

Did anyone watch "Virgin Tales"

Daenerys

Date= sex.

Normal people call it spending time together.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I meant all types of abuse...not just physical...

Though I disagree with the movement, I think these docs have distorted those associated for their own agenda to show others how horrible these people are. I get the feeling that the purity movement gets the most hype of the chastity thing, but isn't the only thing. Its about fathers actively involved in their daughters lives to let them know how beautiful and special they are so they don't need to search for it. I went on many daddy daughter dates when I was younger which were not incestual and I think helped me have confidence and standards in my dating life in my 20s.

I just feel like people are too gullible when they watch these docs much like those politically driven docs that are always biased.

A healthy relationship with a parent does not have to be formalized with "daddy daughter dates" or anything else. It just is. My dad spent plenty of time with me. He taught me to play baseball and pitched to me in the yard. In the summer time in high school, I would go to his office at lunch time if I wanted to have lunch with him. It didn't have to be a "date"; it was lunch. Because in normal families, a teenager can have lunch with her dad without it being turned into an event. He drove me to school if mom was sick (it was a 23 mile drive one way). We never had to have formal events to prove that he was my dad or that he cared about me or valued me. And that is a far more healthy way to learn the very things you claim you needed a formalized outing to learn. And a far more impacting and meaningful way.

I always said when I was teaching that kids don't need big events, they need adults who care and show it every damn day.

If I chose to be sexually active, or not, it was NEVER EVER anyone's business but my own. Certainly not my father's!

If I chose to be sexually active, or not, it was NEVER EVER anyone's business but my own. Certainly not my father's!

Agree. It's no ones business but your owns!

I meant all types of abuse...not just physical...

Though I disagree with the movement, I think these docs have distorted those associated for their own agenda to show others how horrible these people are. I get the feeling that the purity movement gets the most hype of the chastity thing, but isn't the only thing. Its about fathers actively involved in their daughters lives to let them know how beautiful and special they are so they don't need to search for it. I went on many daddy daughter dates when I was younger which were not incestual and I think helped me have confidence and standards in my dating life in my 20s.

I just feel like people are too gullible when they watch these docs much like those politically driven docs that are always biased.

I have always been 'dads girl' I too think that it has helped my dating standards. Men have to measure up to him and that's not exactly easy.

I think it's only ever a parents business when they offer to take a teenager to the doctor for birth control, they shouldn't sit in on the appointment though. But I think that it's acceptable for a single dad or stay at home dad to take their daughter to get BC.

My dad was a single dad and only had daughters. No formal dates, but we did used to pass him tools when he was working under the car or under the hood of the car. Does that count? :P And sweet baby Jesus, the only thing he ever had to say about any of our sex lives was that he was willing to subsidize our birth control 100% until our first real jobs after college. Did he want to see a new boyfriend every week? No. However, even without purity talks, that was not the way any of us rolled. This talk like a girl is going to start screwing the football team unless daddy guards her hymen day and night is both false and gross. :hand:

Yep, I agree. Some people have lots of sex with lots of partners and turn out to be normal adults with normal jobs and normal lives. Since sex or even promiscuity isn't bad just by itself, it really isn't a father business what his daughter does. Good parents of both genders have to accept that their children of either gender will almost certainly become sexually active some day and it is up the those individuals to make their own decisions. And maybe fathers wouldn't have to be obsessed about their precious little daughters "getting hurt" if they spent more effort worrying that their sons don't hurt others.

It's weird that even here it's accepted as just dandy for a father to exert some control over his daughter's sexuality (and always gendered in that way), just as long as he doesn't take it too far. Apparently it's still quite controversial that a woman can make a decision about her sexuality and still be a worthwhile human being even if she chooses to have many partners. And even more controversial that some fathers actually believe that their daughters get to make this choice.

While some people are kinder than others, I don't think that being in a respectful relationship ends with simply choosing the right partner. Sometimes you step on toes and need to be reminded to be respectful to your partner.

Also, while having low self esteem could set you up to be in an abusive relationship, sometimes being in an abusive relationship wears on your self esteem, so all the stories about poor women who could have been saved if they'd just had better self esteem...well, everyone's looking at them after the relationship happened, not before. I've known people in abusive relationships who had great relationships with their father, and even had siblings (who, you know, had the same father and were raised the same way) who never ended up in abusive relationships. I'm not saying parental relationships don't matter at all--those people got a lot of support from their parents, and it helped them when they were being abused and it would definitely be a worse situation without that support--but they're not some golden charm against bad relationships.

Also, in the trailer they weren't just showing a daddy-daughter date. It was a purity ball (according to the first movie) where all the girls, even the elementary school aged ones, sign contracts to their fathers that promise not to have sex before marriage. I don't think anyone would be against an ice cream party or whatever, but the white roses represent their virginity, the white dresses on the dancers represent their virginity, the cross is a reminder that Jesus died for your sins one of which would be even thinking about not keeping your virginity...I mean the whole thing could use a little more bonding time and a little less worrying about the attendees genitals.

Watching this show now. Randy Wilson seems creepily obsessed with his daughters' sexuality. Some of the younger girls in attendance at his purity balls clearly have no clue what he's talking about, and a couple were actually mortified.

Loved the seething jealousy displayed by Jordyn Wilson as she sat through her sisters' paeans to married life. Mind you, she married sometime after this film was done, so I guess it gives her stay-at-home-daughter school (yes, she ran a school to train future wives) a bit more credibility than, say, Sarah Mally's and the Botkinettes' apparently permanent professional virginities.

No Doug Phillips (who is a tool) references. The obsession with costumes and pageantry was right up his alley. At one point, Jordyn was prancing around in the kitchen, dressed just like some 1950's sitcom housewife, including pearls.

Edited for auto-correct riffle. $&@!?! iPad!

I saw it on while flipping channels. It is coming again tomorrow on one of the Showtime channels. I set DVR to record tomorrow's showing.

I recorded it and will post my snark in a few days when I get time to watch.

My first thought: kind of weird that the DVD cover features a girl in full ballerina get-up with one leg raised to her ear. She may be an uptight virgin, but hey, lookee that, future headships--she's an incredibly LIMBER virgin!

I watched it online through direct tv(I use my dad's account to watch stuff, I don't have cable :( ). Anyway, super creepy and I just couldn't believe that there was a 20 year old sitting on her ass putting on classes for young women on how to behave. I just would not want that LIFE. I love my parents but they insist that I went to college and got a degree which is what I did. I am now in a teacher program because I believe that I am meant to be a teacher. I think you should be looking out financially and have at least a part time job. She gets to sit at home and everything is provided for her because she is "daddy's" princess and has a extremely weird relationship with both of her parents.

I just had to point this out from Jordyn's charm school description:

What is taught at School of Grace?

Each class includes bible study on biblical femininity and teaching on friendship, hospitality, welcoming, interacting with others, hosting, and kitchen time where they'll learn fun appetizers and desserts. High tea is served so the girls are asked to bring their own tea cup. The environment is warm and welcoming, hosted at Mrs. Peppin's home or others' homes. The girls are also taught how to make conversation, how to ask wise questions, how to write a lovely letter, how to be a good friend and much more! Jordyn encourages the girls to dress up in their favorite dresses and enjoy being girly. This is a wonderful opportunity for the girls to learn valuable skills they will use for the rest of their lives.

If I was providing guests a tea party, I think it would be my responsibility to provide the damn tea cups.

I had completely forgotten about this, until my Dad mentioned there was an interesting looking documentary coming on. So, my entire family watched it. My dad got creeped out by the whole thing early into it and started surfing the internet on his tablet, lol.

My mom on the other had, thought the whole thing was great and wished she could have gotten us into that when we were young. My dad let it be known that he would have had no part of that. My father has the weird idea that women should make their own choices on their partners and when to have sex. He thinks it is odd that the men on TV feel some sort of ownership of their daughters' virginities. I have always had a great relationship with my father, even if we didn't go to purity balls growing up.

I watched it. What a weird family. Not surprised to see Jordyn got married. It seemed like her obsession, so there was no way she was going to still be unmarried in her 30s, like Sarah Maxwell and Sarah Malley.

Picture of Jordyn and her husband.

http://www.schoolofgrace.org/about-jordyn.html

Thanks for the link! Happy she is now married that is all she seemed to ever want. Her husband does not give me the creeps the way the oldest ones does.

I just watched my DVR recording awhile ago. I agree the family is weird. Randy is a huge asshole and I couldn't stand Jordyn at all. The one son Logan also come off as a bit annoying. I thought the Army wife daughter seemed a bit ok. Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but I don't get a happy couple vibe from Randy and Lisa. I also found the ballet thing with the cross at the purity ball to be really weird. I cracked up laughing because it reminded me of talent scene from Drop Dead Gorgeous.

That dad creeped me the fuck out. Dads can spend time with their daughters without all the purity, hymen-obsession crap. Mine managed just fine. He even * gasp * trusted me (encouraged even!) to make my own decisions and look out for myself.

This. I know a lot of men who spend time with their daughters like going to sporting events, movies, talking, and going out to eat. Randy was a bit creepy with the purity ball and the covenants.

I have Showtime, and I'm watching it now. Randy is incredibly creepy, and the son, Logan I think, talking about his sisters' purity is cringe worthy.

So much of the purity ball seems to be mixed messages - The girls lifting their ballet skirts while dancing seems so inappropriate and some of the youngest girls look like they are ready to compete on Toddlers and Tiaras.

This is like watching a train wreck. It's horrifying but I can't look away. :popcorn2:

Archived