IGNORED

Papa Pilgrim

Mary C Doates

Didn't they have standardized testing for the little kids in the McCarthy area? In my borough, if you homeschool, your kids have to take the same bubble tests as everyone else (proctored by a school district employee) starting in grade 3.

Didn't they have standardized testing for the little kids in the McCarthy area? In my borough, if you homeschool, your kids have to take the same bubble tests as everyone else (proctored by a school district employee) starting in grade 3.

Not when they were there, even though McCarthy was their address they were hours and hours from McCarthy.

Not sure but I did correspondence when we lived in the bush in the late 80s and early 90s and I don't remember standardized testing. I know things have changed a lot in that respect but these people lived so far off the grid I am not sure the State of AK was even aware, they weren't really here that long when you think about it. And moved from Fairbanks to Kenai and then to Wrangell St. Elias so they were probably hard to track down. I want to know how they managed to pull all the paperwork together to get their PFDs. They need birth certificates, proof of residency and a witness, I guess they were savvy when they needed to be.

I thought the book was pretty true to the reality that I know about the case. I do not know what happened behind closed doors or in New Mexico but most of the legal shenanigans and stuff around McCarthy seemed to follow the story I know.

Archived