IGNORED

JK Rowling published a bestselling book under a pseudonym!

mockingbird

I loved The Casual Vacancy. It's a character driven book rather than a plot-driven one - a character study. It isn't supposed to be fluffy or have a clean, happy ending, it's reflective of real life.

Beyond this, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how anyone thinks The Casual Vacancy came out of left field. Harry Potter is full of social commentary on biases, discrimination, and inequality. Werewolves (AIDs), muggleborns (racism and classism), house-elves (racism again - just highlighting groups seen as so inferior they're subhuman), etc. Rowling always addressed social concerns.

The Cuckoo's Calling was enjoyable, in my opinion, but isn't a stand-out mystery. The characters are enjoyable but the plot was a bit predictable. I'll definitely read a sequel, though.

Megan, have you read any books by Maeve Binchy? The Casual Vacancy felt similar to some of her books and I was curious if you could compare the two.

Kailash, that's actually a really apt comparison. A weird small town full of characters and petty squabbles. Style is different but some of the ideas are there.

• 2 weeks later...
Kailash, that's actually a really apt comparison. A weird small town full of characters and petty squabbles. Style is different but some of the ideas are there.

I think J.K.Rowling shows a lot more diversity from book to book than Maeve Binchy. To me the Harry Potter books were entirely in a league of their own. Everything I've read from Binchy seems similar though I haven't read everything she's ever written. Still, I enjoy both writers very much.

I haven't. 'll have to check out her books

I hope you enjoy them. One of my favorite things about her books is that the same characters sometimes show up in other books and it makes the characters seem very real in that regard.

I found The Casual Vacancy dark at times, like, really dark. It took me a while to get used to it. But then the story sucked me in and I ended up liking it a lot. It's definitely not a book I would pick up when I'm already feeling down, that's what Harry Potter is for. But it's really well-written, and it gets you thinking about certain topics (no spoilers).

I just started The Cuckoo's Calling and so far I love it. Strangely, I think it's less grim than The Casual Vacancy, even if it's a "noire" story.

I think I'll buy every book JKR ever writes, I can't imagine how she could disappoint.

Archived