IGNORED

George Zimmerman Not Guilty

BoomerLynn

I'm surprised Zimmerman was allowed to own a gun with his past history of domestic violence, molesting a relative, resisting arrest, etc. It makes me wonder how does someone with his past get to be able to have access to a gun? Stricter gun control laws could probably prevent more of these incidents.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... vant-past/

It's not that simple. (Funny, I'm actually doing a research paper on this exact topic)

Under the Lautenberg Amendment, there is a ban of selling, shipping, or even owning a gun when you have been convicted of domestic violence. But there are a LOT of exceptions as to what it means to be convicted.

SEcondly, a lot of judges are loathe to apply LA, especially conservative judges. It really comes down to judicial discretion.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether Zimmerman is actually guilty or not, my stomach is churning at the thought of what Al Sharpton is going to do to light the fuse.

Also either way, a boy died and even a guilty verdict would still not bring him back. :(

I can't stop crying. I knew I would find comfort here.

I think all black men in FL should legally get weapons. Then, they should go to white neighborhoods and follow "suspicious" looking men who are doing things like walking home from the store, or the bus stop, or...anywhere. They follow them and then ask him what he is doing? If the white guy gets scared and hits him, he can be shot and killed right there, on the spot. Even though the shooter was not in his own neighborhood and the white guy wasn't doing anything wrong.

Maybe then they can feel what Trayvon felt.

I hope to hell you were joking.

and sharpton and jackson are do much much more harm than good for race relations. I fancy they think themselves the modern dr kings but are only pale imitations.

I think all black men in FL should legally get weapons. Then, they should go to white neighborhoods and follow "suspicious" looking men who are doing things like walking home from the store, or the bus stop, or...anywhere. They follow them and then ask him what he is doing? If the white guy gets scared and hits him, he can be shot and killed right there, on the spot. Even though the shooter was not in his own neighborhood and the white guy wasn't doing anything wrong.

WTF????

It's tragic that there was no justice for Trayvon. Unfortunately, when there is reasonable doubt that someone broke the law, they have to be found not guilty. Even if the law is bullshit. Even if they started it. Even if they're racist scum. Something wrong may or may not have happened in the courtroom. But something wrong happened when someone with Zimmerman's record was allowed to own a gun. And something wrong happened when that Stand Your Ground law was enacted. And something wrong happened when a young black man couldn't go out for candy without being racially profiled and stalked. It's dead obvious that Zimmerman is not innocent, and he deserves the infamy he will live with from now on. And Trayvon Martin deserved better.

Whether Zimmerman is actually guilty or not, my stomach is churning at the thought of what Al Sharpton is going to do to light the fuse.

Also either way, a boy died and even a guilty verdict would still not bring him back. :(

Sharpton Isn't doing anything to "light the fuse" he urging people to be calm and he thinks the stand your ground law needs to be overturned. I don't like Sharpton, but I'm tired of people saying "black people are going to riot and loot now"

The smart thing to do now would be to put effort into changing the law.

good luck on that. Jesus coming back to earth is more likely.

His life is going to be screwed up though. but there will be plenty of people that will welcome him. Lets just hope he does not become a mall cop.

you and 50 million Christians :angry-banghead:

Sorry let me restate...I could hope that effort might be put into changing the law. I don't believe in Jesus so I don't think he'll return.

It's tragic that there was no justice for Trayvon. Unfortunately, when there is reasonable doubt that someone broke the law, they have to be found not guilty. Even if the law is bullshit. Even if they started it. Even if they're racist scum. Something wrong may or may not have happened in the courtroom. But something wrong happened when someone with Zimmerman's record was allowed to own a gun. And something wrong happened when that Stand Your Ground law was enacted. And something wrong happened when a young black man couldn't go out for candy without being racially profiled and stalked. It's dead obvious that Zimmerman is not innocent, and he deserves the infamy he will live with from now on. And Trayvon Martin deserved better.

The Stand your Ground defense was not claimed by Zimmerman.

Zimmerman got off because the jury believed the young man who was armed only with candy and iced tea was the aggressor, and Zimmerman was justified in shooting the teen who turned and asked him "why are harassing me?" and at most threw a couple of punches in his own defense. A teen who had been profiled and stalked for no reason but for the color of his skin. But in Florida it's okay to shoot people you get into arguments with. Especially if they're dark skinned and hoodied.

Zimmerman was never in danger of losing his life in that encounter. Martin was in danger from start to the finish. The finish being his death.

If anyone needs any proof that racism is alive and very well in much of the US, here you go.

So, basically, Zimmerman decided to kill someone for the high crime of existing while black and the justice system said it was okay.

It's like all of Florida is a sundown town now.

The Stand your Ground defense was not claimed by Zimmerman.

Zimmerman got off because the jury believed the young man who was armed only with candy and iced tea was the aggressor, and Zimmerman was justified in shooting the teen who turned and asked him "why are harassing me?" and at most threw a couple of punches in his own defense. A teen who had been profiled and stalked for no reason but for the color of his skin. But in Florida it's okay to shoot people you get into arguments with. Especially if they're dark skinned and hoodied.

Zimmerman was never in danger of losing his life in that encounter. Martin was in danger from start to the finish. The finish being his death.

If anyone needs any proof that racism is alive and very well in much of the US, here you go.

Thanks for clarifying that.

WTF????

Well, it'd make people with their ears plugged listen. And let's face it, if even one black dude went and did this, it would be alllll over. Which is sort of the point.

As an expert witness in Federal and State court, it was a horribly put together trial. But at the end of the day, we've just declared it a free for all to start a conflict, incite a conflict and end a conflict with a gun. With no penalties. If Zimmerman stays in the car, there's no dead kid. If he does as instructed by the police, there's no dead kid. He provoked everything that happened.

Having lived in Daytona, I'm glad I left this racist state. What's wrong with the criminal justice system there? First Casey Anthony and now this. So sad to be an American. So sad to live in a country where everything is solved by a gun. Mr. Zimmerman better be wearing a vest tonight. And my entire middle class white family agrees.

QFT.

that's the country I really want to live in...proven innocent by law and evidence but have to watch your back for gear of vigilante justice :x

Vigilante justice carried out by Zimmerman is what killed Martin.

On another note: Zimmerman is an example of what is wrong with a lot of the concealed weapon laws throughout the U.S. Florida allowed Zimmerman, a person that has a history of violence, carry a bloody gun. That is a problem.

Sorry let me restate...I could hope that effort might be put into changing the law. I don't believe in Jesus so I don't think he'll return.

I know I wish they would but this is Florida.

that's the country I really want to live in...proven innocent not guilty by law and evidence lack of evidence but have to watch your back for gear of vigilante justice :x

Fixed that for you. Not that it makes vigilante justice ok, but let's try and keep our facts straight.

This whole story is heartbreaking.

I must admit that I come from what is basically a disarmed country, which has been so for years, so I'm probably quite biased- but I can't believe that someone with his history was allowed to buy a gun. That doesn't seem right.

:(

:(

I just wish that this would have lead to more open, honest, and clear dialogue on race in this country, instead of the media circus show this became. We need that. We can not evolve past this shit without real discussions on racial tensions. A kid died, and we will get nowhere, despite the opportunity this horrible event gave us.

He followed that boy, I know that. Regardless of how the fight began, he shot to kill. He is a mentally unstable vigilante, who gets to continue to to walk the streets and carry a gun even after murdering a teenager.

:shock:

He shot him because he was black. There is no if or what.

Cops told him not to follow him, he did it anyway.

Archived