IGNORED

Oooh, a mystery!

Lainey

LOL! It was my great-grandfather that my dad suggested might have been the bootlegger. But his reasoning was because he lived in this small farming community, and apparently there was a bootleg operation there. Then again, there weren't that many people, so maybe my dad is onto something... :shifty-kitty:

It's really interesting that your story is so similar in many ways. It really does make me wonder if there's any connection. Someday, with any luck, I will find out what happened to my great-granduncle, and then I will know if any of your family names had anything to do with offing him! :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o I got the death certificate! Already! I can't even believe that.

But I think I might know now why there are no newspaper articles about him. It says the cause of death was "Traumatic internal hemorrhage following bullet wound of chest," but it also says that it was a suicide. So that would explain the lack of articles.

On the other hand, why on earth would someone who wants to commit suicide shoot themselves in the chest? Wouldn't that be kind of awkward?

Wow I've never had one come that fast! Yeah I think the chest would be a strange way to go about shooting yourself. Did you find guess his parents names?

Wow I've never had one come that fast! Yeah I think the chest would be a strange way to go about shooting yourself. Did you find guess his parents names?

No, the death certificate said "Unknown" for both his mother and his father.

Well, I know what the names supposedly were, but I think I said earlier that they don't seem to exist? So I don't really know what to make of that.

The more I think about it, the more I think my grandma knows her uncle committed suicide, and she just didn't want me to know. She might see it as a disgrace, I don't know. Or she might think I'll be unable to handle it. She seems to think I'm far more delicate than I'd have to be to have survived in the world this long, for some reason. :roll:

Oh ok somehow I was under the impression that you didn't know there names. Not that having the names helps any if you can't find any info on them.

The more I think about it, the more I think my grandma knows her uncle committed suicide, and she just didn't want me to know. She might see it as a disgrace, I don't know. Or she might think I'll be unable to handle it. She seems to think I'm far more delicate than I'd have to be to have survived in the world this long, for some reason. :roll:

That's definitely possible. But like you said, why would someone commit suicide by shooting themselves in the chest. Maybe he was mixed up in something illegal/scandalous which got him murdered (and your grandmother doesn't want you to find out what it was?)

Well, maybe, but it's on his death certificate that it was a suicide. But maybe there was some sort of coverup for some reason, who knows? Because yeah, it's weird that he shot himself in the chest. It did make me wonder.

Lots of people did commit suicide that year after getting laid off from the Ford Motor Car Co.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, maybe, but it's on his death certificate that it was a suicide. But maybe there was some sort of coverup for some reason, who knows? Because yeah, it's weird that he shot himself in the chest. It did make me wonder.

Lots of people did commit suicide that year after getting laid off from the Ford Motor Car Co.

You can get parents names off marriage certificates as well.

Hard saying...though it would certainly be awkward to shoot yourself in the chest. A girl I went to high school with committed suicide by shooting herself in the stomach, so it's possible but knowing what type of gun it was would make a difference...very unlikely to be "suicide" when using a rifle y'know?

But also 1932-1933 was the height of the depression, so suicide wasn't uncommon. Unless you found a way to get a hold of any medical/police reports it's hard to tell.

Oh, he never got married. And I can't seem to find the marriage certificate for my grandma's parents.

Dunno what kind of gun it was. I have no idea how I would get a hold of medical or police reports for that. I don't even know if they would have had them back then. Or kept them, anyway.

Oh, he never got married. And I can't seem to find the marriage certificate for my grandma's parents.

Dunno what kind of gun it was. I have no idea how I would get a hold of medical or police reports for that. I don't even know if they would have had them back then. Or kept them, anyway.

I think there would have been some medical records, but not sure if they are available to the public or not. Anyways if it is publically available it's not usually posted online, so you would likely have to go to Detroit to find out.

Ok I remember now the marriage certificate. They were married in another country, correct?

No, they would have been married here in Canada. I'm starting to wonder if they bothered to make it official! Although they told me at the registry office that since the marriage would have taken place in 1920, it might be very difficult or impossible to find the certificate.

Which totally sucks, because I really need to figure out my gggrandfather's name (that would be Harry and Adam's dad). I have been told it was Eliprilifar, but I was told by someone more familiar with Russian naming conventions that Eliprilfar is most likely a bad transliteration, and that he would have been named by the priest after a Greek Orthodox saint, depending on when he was born.

I got a couple Canadian marriage records from the mid to late 1800s so it's not impossible. I imagine it varies from region to region. Mind where from new Brunswick

Mine were from Alberta. I haven't heard anything since I sent them more information (I got a letter from Alberta Registries saying that they couldn't find it, and asking me to give more information). That was quite awhile ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what? Today I FINALLY got the marriage registration. It's got some information on it, but it's REALLY hard to read. For one thing, whoever filled it out couldn't spell very well, I don't think. For another, I can't make out their handwriting. But from the registration, it looks like my gggrandfather's name was not even close to Eliprilifar--it looks like Kieefore or Keefore or Kreefore...something like that. Or the first letter might be an "N," and if it is, then it might be Nicefore. I was told he would have been named after a Greek Catholic saint, and I did find one named Nicephorus. So maybe that's it? Like, Nicephore or something? I dunno.

• 2 months later...
Hey! I'm glad you found a clue! I wonder what the name is...I've seen names pretty badly butchered, especially when they are foreign names.

And now I know what it was for real! It was "Elpidifor."

I hired a genealogical researcher in the Ukraine to try to find out more information on my family, and he did! So he found out what the name was in the archival records.

He also found some living relatives of mine in Ukraine, and one of them had a letter from my great-uncle! Pretty amazing! My grandma's not the only secretive one in her family, though, holy crap. BOTH of my great-great-grandfathers on that side were married before they were married to my great-great-grandmothers, and on my ggrandfather's side, he even had siblings that none of us knew anything about! We knew of 5 children of my gggrandparents, but there were at least 8. And that's not even mentioning my relative that committed suicide, as he wasn't in the records (or that year was missing, or something).

I hired a genealogical researcher in the Ukraine to try to find out more information on my family, and he did! So he found out what the name was in the archival records.

He also found some living relatives of mine in Ukraine, and one of them had a letter from my great-uncle! Pretty amazing! My grandma's not the only secretive one in her family, though, holy crap. BOTH of my great-great-grandfathers on that side were married before they were married to my great-great-grandmothers, and on my ggrandfather's side, he even had siblings that none of us knew anything about! We knew of 5 children of my gggrandparents, but there were at least 8. And that's not even mentioning my relative that committed suicide, as he wasn't in the records (or that year was missing, or something).

So did your great great grandfathers 1st wives pass on or divorces from 2xGG's? Oooo...could the big secret be bigamy???

So did your great great grandfathers 1st wives pass on or divorces from 2xGG's? Oooo...could the big secret be bigamy???

I *think* they died, but I'm a little confused on the dates. I'm going to have to go over my report again to see if I just misread it, or if the dates are off like I think they are.

• 1 month later...
I hope you don't mind me commenting..... I found this story absolutely fascinating. Have you found out anything more?

Of course I don't mind, that's why I posted! ;) I'm confused, though--which part? If it's the part about my g-g-uncle, then no. I don't even know how I could possibly find out more about that without actually going to Detroit...and even then, I'm not sure if I'd be able to find out anything.

I learned so much about the Ukraine branch of the family that I am not sure I'll ever be able to absorb it...but there was a story about one of the relatives that they knew of, Tymofiy, who had gone to America at some point, and committed suicide. Wrong name, same story. So maybe they got this Tymofiy mixed up with Adam? I don't know.

• 1 year later...

I have a 4x Great-grandmother named...Mary Brown. She lived in England. I know who she married, at which point she became fairly easy to trace, but until then...there are like 100 of them in that area. Any suggestions? I'd like to know when she was born and who her parents were. All I know is, she was born around the Haydock, Lancashire area, and it was between 1793 and 1800.

Archived