IGNORED

Has there ever been a well-known fundy child who came out?

Daenerys

I mean from any of the families we follow on here, or have followed in the past. I mean they have so many children that it must have happened at some point. Or are there people who are "ex-gay" and have been forced into obviously beardy heterosexual marriages?

NOTE: speculation about minors is against the TOS - I'm talking about adults here.

I remember reading about the son or grandson of a well known evangelist coming out. I think he was part of the "It Gets Better" campaign. I want to say it was one of the Phelps adult kids, but I don't think that's right.

I think most of the ones we discuss don't have grown-up children yet. I know a couple ex-fundie-children who have come out as adults but none of them are famous at all.

It was Oral Roberts' grandson who came out.

Did he write books about this? I know I started a book last year about an ex-fundy-kid last year and I'm pretty sure the author was gay and had written at least one other memoir. I didn't have time to finish it though.

Oral Robert's grandson, Randy Roberts Potts, did an ad for the "It Gets Better' campaign. Unfortunately, it didn't get better for his Uncle Ronald. He committed suicide 6 months after he came out. Here's a link to an article by Randy:

http://thislandpress.com/11/18/2012/som ... en-to-you/

Btw, Oral Roberts voted for Obama according to this article.

I remember reading about the son or grandson of a well known evangelist coming out. I think he was part of the "It Gets Better" campaign. I want to say it was one of the Phelps adult kids, but I don't think that's right.

I don't recall it being one of the Phelps children. So far as I know, Nate has been quite vocal in decrying the WBC, but he is married to a woman.

Randall Terry, of Operation Rescue infamy, had a son who came out in 2004. The son was adopted, so I'm sure that's where much of the blame landed since Randall Terry is Holy and Good except for his affairs, divorce, affairs, and remarriage to someone other than his first wife, not to mention all those civil laws he thinks don't apply to him. Those are all 'understandable' sins that he should be forgiven of and are very much unlike those sins he personally dislikes.

His son died in a car accident two years ago. I hope he knew happiness during his life... what a family to have been either adopted or born into. Yuck.

Well, seeing as how most true fundie children are raised 1) without knowing any gays personally, 2) without knowing that gays are normal people in our society, but believing that gays are horrible, wicked people that are few and far between (and mostly in the Bible times) -- I don't think it's likely we'll ever see any children of hard-core fundies come out. (Well, maybe when they're 60 years old and their parents are dead.)

Honestly, I was probably 22 before I realized that there were actually gays who lived in my city! And that they weren't wicked, nasty, horrible people! In my fundie upbringing, we hardly discussed gays. All I knew is that God punished people in Bible times for being homosexual, and we were led to believe that we shouldn't think or talk about gay people, as if we'd never come in contact with them.

There's my weird 2 cents!

A different kind of fundy but Derek Black, the son of the Stormfront organizer, has publicly renounced his racist beliefs and issued an apology to gays, blacks and Jews. He seems to have realized while in college that the beliefs his family espoused were wrong. I imagine these kind of ideological shifts are why religious fundies forbid college for their kids.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/

A different kind of fundy but Derek Black, the son of the Stormfront organizer, has publicly renounced his racist beliefs and issued an apology to gays, blacks and Jews. He seems to have realized while in college that the beliefs his family espoused were wrong. I imagine these kind of ideological shifts are why religious fundies forbid college for their kids.

http://www.splcenter.org/blog/

That is fucking awesome. Almost unbelievable. Wow wow wow. WNs scare me more than most - with their vile perspectives and itchy trigger fingers. Here's to hoping Derek can find a way to work for a positive world for all of humanity. I hope Don Black is feeling some abject failure with Derek and I hope it lasts a long, long time.an't f

ETA: Don Black can't find an outside company to host his website due to its content so he has all the servers under his name and he pays the bills each month. That site often seems to struggle financially since there aren't many advertisers who aren't THEM. Perhaps with the heir apparent stepping away, Don will be more maxxed out in his attempts to keep that shit site going. Hope hope hope.

Archived