IGNORED

Wizzy Arndt in her white "short, shorts"

0 kids n not countin

Yes, there was a long (LONG) essay reposted on FJ once about how he 'longed' to get married, etc. I think he even very vaguely alluded to sex IIRC. Of course, he also said that it would be hard to find someone as wonderful as Wizzy. :shifty:

Luke has a diary going back to his teen years on the site. I've only skimmed it as it's pretty dull, but you can see that over the years they have interacted in what appears to be a normal way with friends and relatives who don't seem to necessarily share his parents' views. He sounds like a sort of typical fundie light young guy and he attended a Catholic school for two years during 5th and 6th grade. I think he's son number 4, so the older 3 were probably in high school then. Wonder why they were put in school and why they were then pulled out.

He too expresses some vague dissatisfaction from time to time. At times it sounds like he's trying to convince himself this is really the way things are meant to be (and of course, his parents are reading this journal). He was also obese as a teen, 250 pounds at 15, and he worries a lot about his weight.

So between Mark and Luke there is a sense that something more is lurking under the surface, but I have no idea what it is. Aside from the lack interest in women, I don't get how these guys can all get along so well. Normal brothers living in close confines fight, but it's constantly happy days toy town with these 13 fellows. No worries, no resentments, no disagreements. It's like that original Star Trek episode when the crew was overtaken by the happy spores.

We can speculate endlessly about these guys, but I don't think we'll ever really figure them out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the stuffed penguins are really Tribbles!

I think the parents have added something to the powdered milk. I'm only half joking.

It has got to be Stockholm Syndrome. Also a deep fear of hurting their family members.

Their parents control everything in their lives. The men, even though they are over 21, cannot have a private conversation on the Internet. They are not allowed their own thoughts. Everything is tightly controlled. There are many cases of children and adults being kidnapped and yet they don't escape. I think this is what is going on here. They are so conditioned, from birth, that they don't see it as a possibility. So, they escape into their magical thinking by acting like children.

I think the parents have added something to the powdered milk. I'm only half joking.

My guess is, equal parts thorazine and saltpeter.

I thought what he said was he wanted someone Lizzie could look up to.

You may be right - I can't seem to find the article on his "Mark's Remarks" page to verify. Hmm.

Rick said when he bought all that land they built the house on he envisioned all of the sons living on the property in their own homes. Sort of like a Midwest Kennedy Compound. So even if he gets married, a son is expected to stay with the family.

But God hasn't sent in any women yet, so all building plans are on hold.

That is really sad - can imagine all these men in their 40s/ 50s never having had the chance at love or marriage or a family of their own.

Out of all the fundies we follow here, I get more angry when the Arndt boys spout anti-choice dribble than when others do it. It's bad enough for men to think that they should control women's bodies, but men who are still functionally boys who--in all likelihood--will never ever have sex? It's just too much for me.

Out of all the fundies we follow here, I get more angry when the Arndt boys spout anti-choice dribble than when others do it. It's bad enough for men to think that they should control women's bodies, but men who are still functionally boys who--in all likelihood--will never ever have sex? It's just too much for me.

I know just what you mean. They have no experience with women and no understanding of the issues, yet they believe they're absolutely, unquestionably right.

I personally find the Botkins to be the most creepy fundie family we follow, but the Arndts are definitely second place. I think if the Seven Sisters reach a similar situation they will be equally as creepy, but at this point they are still relatively young so there's a chance something could happen.

"I know just what you mean. They have no experience with women and no understanding of the issues, yet they believe they're absolutely, unquestionably right."

That is what fundamentalism is all about. Complete ignorance and fear of anything not in the line of sight.

I cut them some slack here because it sounds to me like they are required to parrot Rick. Great post, Dad! Good point, Dad! I can't believe people think otherwise, Dad!

They don't seem to have any independent thoughts in their heads, but that may be because they simply aren't allowed to. On the other side of the coin, the manboys on their own don't come across as dogmatic or irrational. I think if one could be saved from that family, he could change.

I'm leaning towards the Stockholm Syndrome notion. Or some previously unknown version of it.

Yah-some, here is the photo you mentioned:

2012-08-07_01-15-06_7.jpg

It's Peter's 13th birthday! Cake and penguins in bed! And perhaps an eff you, Free Jinger photo?

IMG_20130726_102927.jpg

It's Peter's 13th birthday! Cake and penguins in bed! And perhaps an eff you, Free Jinger photo?

IMG_20130726_102927.jpg

Well if they are reading, they should invite the 7 sisters to their ball game... seriously, the girls have skills, seem agreeable and would likely listen to Mama Arndt's advice and be happier than most living on the family compound with their sisters next door. And the older boys would likely get past the long dresses if they realized married boys men get sex. (Yes, SEX guys-- how fun would that be!!)

OMG! No one of her boys is ever, ever escaping. She's got the claw clutch down!! That is one scary woman. :character-jaws:

They are so fascinating. They are like the Stepford Family. I wish a psychologist could study how they got to be the way they are. My husband grew up in a very controlling family with parents that tried very hard to keep them children but out of 3 sons 1 of them (my husband) rebelled hardcore. The other 2 did as well, in their own smaller ways. How is it that none of the Arndts are rebelling? It's so bizarre.

They are so fascinating. They are like the Stepford Family. I wish a psychologist could study how they got to be the way they are. My husband grew up in a very controlling family with parents that tried very hard to keep them children but out of 3 sons 1 of them (my husband) rebelled hardcore. The other 2 did as well, in their own smaller ways. How is it that none of the Arndts are rebelling? It's so bizarre.

They hold the same fascination for me. I grew up with very controlling parents who desperately tried to keep me and my two sisters staying at home even after we reached adulthood and were at the ages (early 20's) that would be normal for a young adult to be striking out. I was the really rebellious one and left a couple of years after college. They did succeed with my other two sisters, keeping them at home into their 30's when both married but even after that my folks have managed to keep some control over them. Even so, my sisters did manage to rebel in smaller ways even while living under my folk's roof so agree it's weird that there's even no hint of rebellion with this many young adults in the house.

I can only surmise that there's some serious brainwashing / mindfuck courtesy of one (my moneys on Mama Arndt here) or both parents because that's basically what my own parents did to us. It was a cultlike style of control with religion as the basis as both my folks were very religious though not fundie. They relied on lots of fear, obligation and guilt and particularly fear over becoming the "bad daughter" which is exactly what I became after I left the home. Displeasing Mom and Dad and not going along with what they wanted was really considered the ultimate sin.

Sorry for the rant...I really should write up my whole story sometime.

ETA: speaking of psychologists, a few years ago, my husband was seeing a counselor (in the wake of being laid off), and the counselor was pretty alarmed when he described the dynamics in my family and all the manipulation and guilt tripping. She couldn't believe that I managed to get out of it.

Archived