IGNORED

Another Bates Courtship

BigSandy

I'm sorry if someone already posted on this (I searched the forum but couldn't find anything). Anyways, I saw this comment from Kelly on their "Friends n' Fellowship" blog post:

Kelly July 10, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Dear Alexia,

Yes, Erin and Chad are courting! And…..a new post coming soon about another recent courtship beginning! :) Love, Kelly

I wonder who it is??

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta be Alyssa and that politician's son. I'm just assuming, anyway. It could always be one of the other kids, too. They sure seem to socialize with other eligible young fundies often. The Bates seem far more eager to let their children get married than the Duggars.

I'm sure it's Alyssa and that guy from the triple date picks. They said at the time they were just getting to know each other, but courtship was the direction it was going. She's awfully young though.

This is what happens when fundies actually start letting their young adult offspring socialize with members of the opposite gender.

I'm also thinking it's Alyssa and the congressman's son. (That'll drive Jim Bob bonkers!)

I kind of really hope it's Michael. I say that because she seems to honestly truly want to be a wife and mother. She's also the oldest girl and is more reserved than her younger sisters so she gets overshadowed by them. I'm glad she's come out of her shell a bit (I'm assuming it's because she's gained confidence rather than being forced out there, she looks fairly happy). So long as she doesn't wind up with a creep like David Waller.

Singsingsing, the Bateses are also poorer than the Duggars and don't have a show .hathat requires all their children around all the time. Getting their girls out of the house would help them financially

I saw that and wondered about Alyssa, myself. If I were Zack, I'd want my mom to avoid any posts about my potential courtships. At least the Bateses get their kids to mingle with lots of "appropriate" right-wing Christian young people.

There might also be this attitude amongst young fundie males that the Duggars don't let their daughters court whereas the Bateses do. Either way, I can imagine that it might be less intimidating for a young guy to approach the Gil Bates rather than Jim Bob Duggar about courting one of his daughters.

I am thinking it's probably Alyssa and the congressman's son, but wouldn't it be interesting if it were Zach? Not that Sarah Reith called him up and told him she changed her mind, lol. And he might be a little gun shy on having his mother announce courtship round 2.

I just checked... Zach, Michael, Lawson, Nathan, and Alyssa are all single and old enough to be courting. Tori is 17 so she's not far behind. Really, it could be any one of them. Alyssa is the youngest of the bunch and she's the one who had the 'special friendship', but it's always possible they think she's too young and she'll stay 'friends' with this guy for a while longer while one of her older siblings has a real courtship.

Interestingly, on June 26th someone in the comments on the blog asked if Michael was going with the Duggars because there was a courtship, and Kelly responded, "No courtship news." I wonder if she meant in general, or just as concerns Michael. Could be that whoever's courting literally just started.

Edit: then today someone asked about Erin and Chad, and Alyssa and John, and Kelly replied that she would try to do an update post on both in the next two weeks. So from that I'd say that it's definitely Alyssa courting.

Definitely Alyssa. And if it is an update on both, I bet Chad proposed!

Maybe this will light a fire under Boob and let a daughter go.

I hope it's not Alyssa... She's so young!! I'd put my money on Nathan or Lawson, just because I'm desperately hoping it's not not 18 year old Alyssa. Though if she were to get married so young, a fundie-lite guy like Webster would be better for her than many ATI guys.

Also, it could be a Roberts kid... The ages and sexes if their kids line up very well with the Bates. And the fact that the Bates are hinting at it means that it's not a Bates-Duggar match- yay!!!

The Bates strike me as fundie social climbers. They have very attractive, sweet children and a high profile, but not very much money, and are setting their children up with people high in ATI, successful, and maybe more alligned with Vision Forum.

Honestly, I don't really see a match between any of the Bates and Duggar kids. Always get the feeling that that the parents really don't like each other and I am not sure that Gil and Kelly would like to see any of their kids with JB and J'chelle as in laws (wouldn't blame them). However, if one of their kids really wanted to be with a Duggar kid, they would probably relent. They do seem to really care about their childrens' happiness, I will give them that. However, I don't get the vibe that any of their children are interested in a Duggar.

It wouldn't surprise me if years down the road we see a Bates-Duggar relationship, because the kids will have grown up as friends and both have backgrounds being on TV. But I agree with nokidsmom, none of the older ones seem to be interested in each other. If something was going to happen, it already would have.

I think the Bates, for all their "aw shucks" talk remember that they made their own choices. Now, that doesn't mean, as a high profile as they are in ATI, that their kids are suddenly going to leave home, but I do think they let them meet a wider group and give them more freedom from the home front to meet people. After all the point of all of this IS the marry and have children to take dominion over the USA for GOD. You gotta get married to breed more warriors of God. And, while the Bates picked up some nice change from the show, they are not rolling in money. There are two ways to deal with this: have the older ones give over their earnings or get the older ones married and supporting their own broods.

I agree, too, that I don't think the parents REALLY like each other that well. I think the Bates have been a "ministry" for JB/M. Could be wrong. I won't rule out a Bates-Duggar marriage tho. Too many kids to just say it won't happen. After all who else is going to understand the insanity of 18 siblings?

I also wonder if the Zak courtship fiasco has made the Duggars literally HIDE any courtship possibilities--like with iron clad confidentiality agreements. Jim-Bob is a politician. He is not as stupid as he wants you to think. I'm pretty sure Josh getting married was part of the show deal--draw in younger viewers, etc. That has not been as a huge in popularity as they thought. I would be very surprised if John David is NOT in a courtship in spite of his mission trips. The girls could really be stalling. They've raised umpteen siblings and counting--waiting is the only way they have of limiting their own child bearing!

After all who else is going to understand the insanity of 18 siblings?

Agree that both the Bates and Duggar kids have the common experience of growing up in a large family and know what it's like. Also the TV experience. But somehow it's just rather interesting that to date, there have been no courtship possibilities. There are certainly enough kids of similar ages for that to happen by now. Not to say it couldn't happen in the future, but still, I wonder if Gil and Kelly also think their kids can do a bit better and haven't encouraged anything between the families in spite of the kids growing up as friends.

It will be Alyssa. They've already posted photos f Alyssa and her Beau. It's not official yet, but going on the photos, Alyssa and that young man are an item.

I remember hearing that Zach Bates did approach JimBob about courting a J'slave, possibly Jana. JimBob said he had to think it over and would give them an answer at a certain date. The Bates family had a party to celebrate on that date and put JimBob on speakerphone. JimBob immediately asked to be taken off of speakerphone, and he told Zach they were not open to courtship.

I can't remember where I read this. Was it during the KISA thread?

I remember hearing that Zach Bates did approach JimBob about courting a J'slave, possibly Jana. JimBob said he had to think it over and would give them an answer at a certain date. The Bates family had a party to celebrate on that date and put JimBob on speakerphone. JimBob immediately asked to be taken off of speakerphone, and he told Zach they were not open to courtship.

I can't remember where I read this. Was it during the KISA thread?

REALLY?? Was it due to money or the fact that Zak already has an elected office or due to the labor needs at home? Fascinating! i had never come across this story.

I'm also wondering If seeing the Bates girls marrying very eligible men won't motivate Boob to let a daughter or two go. He may start to feel he's losing a competition-especially if the bates start beating them in the grandchildren department. Though I suppose that's a few years down the road.

It's for sure Alyssa. I hope it's Michal but it will be Alyssa.

Some good things:

- The Bates let their kids actually get to know people and do a very conservative version of dating (before the formal courtship) before getting married.

- The Bates don't seem to mind pretty long engagements/courtships, as opposed to SOME fundie families who seem to think the faster, the better. :(

If Alyssa is courting now and Erin is getting married soon-ish, they could easily beat the Duggars in the grandchildren department in a few years; especially if STILL none of the other Duggars are married by that time. Which is very possible.

As I've said before, with the older Duggar/Bates "kids", they have had plenty of time to get to know each other and "pursue" each other if any one on either side had a romantic interest. Since it hasn't happened yet (and they've spent so much time together and they are "such good friends"), I doubt it's going to happen now or anytime in the future. There might be a pairing with the younger kids but we'll just have to wait until they are older to see what happens.

REALLY?? Was it due to money or the fact that Zak already has an elected office or due to the labor needs at home? Fascinating! i had never come across this story.

I vaguely remember hearing mention of this on a prior thread but can't remember where. Is it really true? That seems like the kind of thing both families would want to keep private.

The Zach Bates/Duggar girl thing is, as far as I can remember, a completely unsubstantiated rumour. 'Someone' said that they 'heard' that this happened. Much like someone heard that Oprah offered all the kids scholarships and they turned them down. Of course, it's not a far fetched rumour at all, and it (the Zach rejection thing, I mean) may very well have happened, but there's no actual evidence for it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Whoever it is, Kelly probably wouldn't announce a courtship unless things were really serious (because of what happened with Zach). I doubt it's with a Duggar, though the timing might be right for it to appear in September's shows.

Archived