IGNORED

TX Abortion Bill Passed

laura oz

It passed the House. It still has to go to the Senate. I don't doubt that it will eventually pass there but it hasn't yet. They have until the end of the month.

If it gets put into law this will bite them in the ass down the line. Too bad at the expense of thousands of women.

Assuming the bill becomes law, chances are it will be enjoined pending legal challenges. I also think it's likely to be overturned by the courts as an unreasonable restriction on a woman's right to choose. The battle is far from over.

So there will be soon quite a few Cighids in Texas...?

Also, I recommend "Children of the Decree" a documentary about the devastating effects a abortion/contraception ban had on a quite modern country and its citizens:

Fuck you, Texas house. Fuck you and the elephant you rode in on. :angry-screaming:

I pray this sack of awful doesn't pass in the Senate. Come on, Senate....

I'm sorry, Texan FJers, and anyone who resides in Texas in general, for this stupid and idiotic legislation. Crossing my fingers for it to stop before it's made law.

What I think will happen is it will pass quietly through the senate and we will hear very little about it. Remember the transvaginal uproar in I want to say the state was Virginia. This requirement passed and we have not had any jounalistic follow up, so far. I think it will be interesting how states work to change abortion laws and how that will effect the bigger issue of abortion.

This news on the heels of reading this:

The GOP's pro-life hypocrisy aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/07/2013741282453965.html

In more than a dozen Texas counties, the maternal mortality rate is 100 deaths per 100,000 births - that's on par with Morocco and Honduras.Pregnant women in the West Bank, the Gaza Strip, Mongolia, Syria and Kyrgistan have better health outcomes. And in two Texas counties, more than 900 women die for every 100,000 births(PDF) - that's right between the death rates for mothers in Somalia and Sierra Leone, which rank among the top three maternal mortality rates in the world.

Way to go, Texas. :clap:

I'm want to go all grass roots on this shit, but have no idea how to go about it. I've called Perry's office to let my voice be heard on a second session, signed a petition that Davis' campaign sent my email this morning, and made some serious donations to her. I want to do more, but don't know what I can do. I've never started a thread in Snark before, but this just made my blood boil and I had to post. I'm more of a Chatter thread starter.

Free the women of Texas! Free the women of Texas! This is disgusting.

All GOP are scum. They are all women haters and this bill has proved it completely. They will not stop until we are ALL forced to give birth and at a mans control.

And anyone who supported this does not deserve the title of human. Congratulations assholes, you've officially begun the road for the US to turn into the Christian Taliban.

I'm done. I'm so discouraged at this news...

I'm want to go all grass roots on this shit, but have no idea how to go about it. I've called Perry's office to let my voice be heard on a second session, signed a petition that Davis' campaign sent my email this morning, and made some serious donations to her. I want to do more, but don't know what I can do. I've never started a thread in Snark before, but this just made my blood boil and I had to post. I'm more of a Chatter thread starter.

People all over are beginning to rise up against the insanity that the GOP/ tea baggers have been foisting on the populace. To find other actions on the abortion issue, look at Planned Parenthood and the National Abortion Rights Action League. http://www.prochoiceamerica.org You can also look to sites like DailyKos: http://www.dailykos.com DailyKos may be about electing better Democrats, but it's a great resource for progressives. There are local Kossack meet ups that are usually posted about on the weekends, but people also post about actions during the week. For example, there have been a lot of posts about the Moral Monday actions that have occurred at the capitol in Raleigh, NC every Monday since April. There's also MoveOn.org and Democracy in America and many other organizations fighting the good fight. If you have a local alternative paper, read it and keep your ears open for what might be happening locally in progressive politics. You can also check out Drinking Liberally.

Something I hadn't thought about:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-1 ... cmpid=yhoo

People sell RU-486 in flea markets just north of the border. It is already thriving, as Texas cut back birth control funding in 2011. The pills at the flea markets cost $40, while a pharmaceutical abortion runs $550.

So even if they have access to abortion, they can't afford it.

People all over are beginning to rise up against the insanity that the GOP/ tea baggers have been foisting on the populace. To find other actions on the abortion issue, look at Planned Parenthood and the National Abortion Rights Action League. http://www.prochoiceamerica.org You can also look to sites like DailyKos: http://www.dailykos.com DailyKos may be about electing better Democrats, but it's a great resource for progressives. There are local Kossack meet ups that are usually posted about on the weekends, but people also post about actions during the week. For example, there have been a lot of posts about the Moral Monday actions that have occurred at the capitol in Raleigh, NC every Monday since April. There's also MoveOn.org and Democracy in America and many other organizations fighting the good fight. If you have a local alternative paper, read it and keep your ears open for what might be happening locally in progressive politics. You can also check out Drinking Liberally.

Thank you for the info. I'm on it. They are going to hear this 5 foot tall bitch ROAR :rawr: <------we need a lion for a roar this big, y'all. So. pissed. off. right. now.

Why do these legislators hate women so much? Mommy issues? Small penis/feelings of inadequacy? We need a female revolution but of course they will call us an angry mob and arrest us.

So much for my tentative plans to move to Texas to explore career opportunities.

We're only 324 contributors away from hitting our goal -- but time is running short. Can you give $5 or more right now to join us?

In this country, in the great state of Texas, it's the people who have the power.

You don't have to be in Austin to make a difference. And you don't have to be elected to an office to fight for what you believe in.

We're all working to build a better future for our families. Part of that fight is making sure women in Texas have access to quality health care. And before the vote tomorrow, we need to show just how many of us are in this fight to the end.

Can you give $5 or more today to get us to our 10,000 contributor goal?

Texas families count on me to be their voice. I'm honored to bring their voices straight to the politicians in Austin.

But this fight isn't about me or any single issue. This is about getting things done to forge a better future for our communities.

The clock is running out. Be one of the 324 supporters we still need -- give $5 before tomorrow.

Your friend, and proudly your state senator,

Wendy

I just donated to help her fight this bullspit. I'm not trying to solicit funds, but if those of us who really believe what the TX legislators are doing is wrong, and just donated $ 5.00 or $10.00, it could make a real difference.

http://www.wendydavisforsenate.com

Damn, I wish I was twenty-one or over, so I could get a drink, because I freakin need it!

Come visit me in England, Atropos. You can drink at 18 here!

It's very unlikely this new despicable law will pass the muster of the courts. Arizona tried to put an 18 week ban into effect, but a fed appeals court overthrew it. Georgia had a 20 week ban blocked as well. I love this Slate article on the issue:

www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex ... olina.html

I contribute (but am not in ANY way affiliated) to this site: www.fundabortionnow.org/

In my experience, they do good work. You can also use this site to find your local grassroots abortions rights group.

Anti-Choicers in the capital are now being advised to leave in case the "Pro-Aborts" start a riot.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

28s99ag.png

Archived