IGNORED

Fundies and their love for the King James bible

fakepigtails73

Most probably bisexual, so was his main uhh mistress George Villiers.

He also had the translation bolster the case for the divine rights of kings, so I find it very ironic when gun toting tea party types cling to the KJV.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have ask this question to my Christian friends, being Jewish I don't understand all this different versions of the Bible stuff. They said that the KJV of the bible is the only one that was written without the influcence of Catholic Church ie Pope. Now I don't if that is why the fundies have a lover affair with it or not. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

A coworker of mine is fundamental Baptist. He carries around a brochure that explains how evil the other versions are, and even claiming that some versions have omitted entire chapters and books. I'm sure he would flip if he came to my church and heard the pastor reading the same verse from KJV, NIV and the Message just to make a point.

Most probably bisexual, so was his main uhh mistress George Villiers.

There is some good evidence, from the Kings own letters and those of his ministers, that he strongly swung both ways. Having his first male/male love affair when he was about 14. Of course, the KJV only types will have fits when this is pointed out to them.

I have ask this question to my Christian friends, being Jewish I don't understand all this different versions of the Bible stuff. They said that the KJV of the bible is the only one that was written without the influcence of Catholic Church ie Pope. Now I don't if that is why the fundies have a lover affair with it or not. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

It was the first widely distributed version that was in English. Previously they had been in Latin and unavailable to layfolk.

There is some good evidence, from the Kings own letters and those of his ministers, that he strongly swung both ways. Having his first male/male love affair when he was about 14. Of course, the KJV only types will have fits when this is pointed out to them.

Yeah i noticed that when I was trying to find something to back up what I said about his sexual preference. The Internet has been flooded with KJV only people claiming that the historians have got it all wrong.

Im much more willing to believe people with doctorates who have studied the letters and diaries with their own eyes than some fundie trying who writes shitty copy on the internet.

Full disclosure here- I love the poetic beauty of the King James. I own a copy of a King James. I'm fine with the fact that it slants a certain way, because ALL translations are going to favor what is important to the translators.

But do not give me this King-James-Version-as-the-inspired-Word-of-God shit. It is both laughable and embarassing how little American fundies know about both linguistics and the art of translation. The Catholic Church/biblical corruption bogeyman is just icing on the crazy cake for me.

Full disclosure here- I love the poetic beauty of the King James. I own a copy of a King James. I'm fine with the fact that it slants a certain way, because ALL translations are going to favor what is important to the translators.

But do not give me this King-James-Version-as-the-inspired-Word-of-God shit. It is both laughable and embarassing how little American fundies know about both linguistics and the art of translation. The Catholic Church/biblical corruption bogeyman is just icing on the crazy cake for me.

Oh yeah, I love it too. I have a quite old leather bound copy that belonged to a great aunt.

I was recently in a Catholic wedding and I thought the (very old and inexperienced) deacon who was performing the rite messed up and forgot the end of the prayer. I felt like an idiot when I brought it up later!

It's been a while since I've been to Mass (and I've only been a couple times with the new translation) but the "thine is the kingdom..." chunk is recited not long after the Lord's Prayer. It's almost call and response-ish. Everyone says the Lord's Prayer, the priest says "Deliver us Lord from every evil, and grant us peace [...]" and then the whole "thine is the kingdom" bit is recited by everyone.

I'm glad this thread was started - I've never understood the KJV obsession some Protestants have and I've never received an explanation of any kind for it. Hell, it even was skipped when it was mentioned in the CountryBoy thread on SOTDRT!

Growing up, my parents dragged us to the United Church of Canada for services. It's been a long time since I've been anywhere near a church, but if the version of the Lord's Prayer posted upthread isn't the exact version we used, it's only a couple words off.

I honestly had no idea there were differently translations in English until I started reading here. It's always just been the "the Bible". I have an old one my grandmother gave me and a little red one we got given in elementary school and I could not even begin to tell you what version either one is.

yalVKnNMbKM

There are a few good documentaries, but this is my favourite.

I really wonder if anti-papist anti-idol fundies know much about the Church of England.

I'm actually embarrassed to say I hadn't even heard of the KJV until very recently. I was brought up as a (cafeteria) Catholic and there was never any consideration that other versions even existed!

Catholic Bibles still have the Apocrypha which were cut from the KJV. Fundies make a big deal of this. The Apocrypha were written by Satan!

We have half a bookshelf filled with different versions of the Bible. KJV, Jerusalem, NRV, etc. We use them for reference purposes.

I took my old KJV with me as cover when I infiltrated Maxhell. It looks suitably worn. It was given to me as a birthday present when I was 9 by my parents, nicely inscribed with the date. I remember looking at it and thinking WTF? Now where is my real present?

When my husband and I first got married we moved overseas and for a brief time went to an IFB church. We didn't really realize at first how different it was from other Baptist churches. They seemed so friendly and not too weird at first. After a little while, though, we learned that the pastor and many of the members were pretty rabidly KJV only. I had been going to church my whole life and had never heard of KJV onlyism before then. They had people read a book called New Age Versions to make their case. If you look into that book at all you will realize that the research is terrible.

My AoG church was fine with any version. KJV, NIV. I remember hating the NIV, though, because I thought people were just too lazy to put effort into reading the more archaic speech. But I think I just enjoyed the literary and dramatic flair of the KJV. ;) Honestly, I'm surprised what with the anti-intellectualism in a lot of these churches, they wouldn't want one with plainer speech. Of course, then people might understand better when words were twisted.

Archived