IGNORED

Muslim girl wearing American flag Hijab shamed by bigots.

AtroposHeart

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/54 ... otic#notes

Not broken up because it's not a fundie blog, but a blog condeming the bigotry.

Basically, a Muslim girl has an awesome American flag hijab and on her head and the bigots come out of the woodwork on a facebook page called ban Islam. Apparantly, showing patrotism is so ANTI-AMEIRCAN.

The bigots express violent fantasies onto this woman like beating her, shooting her, and all sorts of nastiness.

So, this famous 1st amendment applies only to white christians? I am just wondering, as a heathen secular North European ;)

So, this famous 1st amendment applies only to white christians? I am just wondering, as a heathen secular North European ;)

Exactly! We can't have other religions that would take away from the Christian majority.

Thats rediculous. Muslims can be American too, and loads of other people wear things with American flags on, even on their heads.

I think its awesome.

Thats rediculous. Muslims can be American too, and loads of other people wear things with American flags on, even on their heads.

I think its awesome.

Wearing a flag on your head! I just had a flashback to Yu-Gi-Oh abridged, back when it was a sensation. Hard to believe that was almost a decade ago.

IN AMERICA

The amount of naked, raw, vicious hatred that site uncovers is almost unbelievable. Of course these pathetic arm chair racists can only spew their filth from a distance. They certainly wouldn't act on their posts if they came upon this woman in real life.

It truly makes me queasy to read that site. And sad. And worried. And.........

I see they talk about how it's disrespect. I could possibly MAYBE buy the sincerity of that, if I didn't constantly see the same people wearing other clothing with the flag printed on it all the time, all those t-shirts with "these colors don't run" and the endless parade of Old Navy flag wear (cheap! for the 4th!) etc.

I have seen plenty of US flag boxer shorts. They're for sale in the US and demographics being what they are, I'm assuming most buyers are white Christian or secular people.

Back in the 70s I remember a very (to the point of annoyance) "patriotic" American (parent of a friend) going on a rant about how people in the UK obviously have no respect for their country because they wear union jack shirts, unlike Americans with all the elaborate rules on how to treat the flag. This same guy now wears plenty of the US t-shirts with the flag on 'em... supposedly you can't throw away anything with the flag image on it (if you go by the strict opinion) and yet our super patriotic (again to the point of annoyance) local paper has printed up giant paper flags for hanging in the window and of course runs plenty of ads with the flag in them.

"I don't want people I don't like wearing the flag" is probably the real issue. Heck, I've been yelled at for just HAVING a flag (on a pole!) at an antiwar protest for supposedly "abusing" it. As if only one side gets to use it.

I find it odd that it's okay for people to wrap American flag towels around themselves, wear American flag bikinis and who knows what else but this is not.

Seriously, who is this Muslim woman hurting?

Didn't occur to them she was doing it because she's a proud American citizen?

That's how I took this. She might just be a citizen who loves her country. At least, I'd like to think so. She may just have thought the scarf would make a pretty hijab.

Funnily enough, I am wearing an Old Navy tank top with an American flag on it as I read this. :lol:

I'm not very fond of flags, but this seems a nice use for a bit of cloth. It makes a pretty hijab.

I've also seen UK Muslims do this with a Union flag, no-one minded. It shows respect for the flag, like people who wear UK flag t-shirts do it because they like the flag. Whatever, but how it can be read as a gesture of disrespect baffles me.

I know a lot of people who think it's wrong to wear an actual flag as clothing, and I can respect that, but I don't think that's what's going on here. That whole Facebook page...where's that projectile vomiting smiley when I need it?

Actually, wearing flags IS considered a gesture of disrespect by the militaries of several countries. My dad had been a soldier in Greece. Because of how he was trained to view flags, we were actually not allowed to wear American or Greek flags on our clothes, and my dad didn't have many fucks to give on what we wore. Used to make him crazy when people left their flags outside 24-7 outside. It should be put up in the morning and taken down at night, or it needs to be spotlighted at night. As someone who did not identify at all with conservative causes, his flag hang up was actually kinda disgraceful. :lol:

The thing is, he was absolutely consistent no matter what country's flag it was, and he never accosted a woman or man wearing flags. There is definitely a code of propriety around flags and their uses, but that is not what these armchair racists actually care about. They care about bashing Muslims. That they are bashing a Muslim woman is gravy for them.

Edit-cross posted with ThisOlGirl.

I was just taking a look at some of the Facebook pages of the people responding to the picture (because I have no life). Who leaves their Facebook page WIDE OPEN, cell phone number and all, for the whole world (or nosy broads like me) to see? Racist and stupid is no way to go through life--funny how those two so often go together.

I was just taking a look at some of the Facebook pages of the people responding to the picture (because I have no life). Who leaves their Facebook page WIDE OPEN, cell phone number and all, for the whole world (or nosy broads like me) to see? Racist and stupid is no way to go through life--funny how those two so often go together.

True, that. :penguin-no:

Wearing a flag on your head! I just had a flashback to Yu-Gi-Oh abridged, back when it was a sensation. Hard to believe that was almost a decade ago.

IN AMERICA

Yugi: But we're in Japan.

* Bandit Keeth Many Episodes Later *

I'm not really American, I'm Canadian! * waves Canadian flag *

*sigh* Is America all about freedom, or is it not?

The only freedom these knuckle draggers really care about is their freedom to bash Muslims in the privacy and anonymity of the Internet.

*sigh* Is America all about freedom, or is it not?

Only if you're white, Conservative Christian and have conservative political opinions. Otherwise not so much. Personally, I wonder where I can get a scarf like that to use as hijab though if I did it here I'd piss people off for not only wearing it as hijab but wearing an American flag in Canada :p

I thought wearing the American flag was verboten all around? Pick a side, folks - either you can't wear it as a bikini, a t-shirt or a hijab, or you can wear it as anything. Americans come from all backgrounds and how they choose to combine their nationality and their heritage is none of your business.

I'm pretty unpatriotic and wouldn't be caught dead wearing or displaying or saluting our national flag, but if I saw someone wearing it as that girl is doing I'd be pretty chuffed that she was happy being a Kiwi and wanted to show it.

I thought wearing the American flag was verboten all around? Pick a side, folks - either you can't wear it as a bikini, a t-shirt or a hijab, or you can wear it as anything. Americans come from all backgrounds and how they choose to combine their nationality and their heritage is none of your business.

It is. http://www.senate.gov/reference/resourc ... L30243.pdf Page 10, if you're really curious. Evocative depictions are OK, though (hence the existence of bikinis with starred tops and striped bottom) so the Hijab pictured is actually not even in violation of the flag code, judging from the fields of stars on both ends. Unless she got creative with an actual flag, which is supposed to be treated like a living thing even if we make them in China and it's probably patriotic brainwashing, but, but, RULES! Ignorance of flag code is my number one pet peeve, but I allow that most people think it's pedantic.

These guys are assholes, though.

It is. http://www.senate.gov/reference/resourc ... L30243.pdf Page 10, if you're really curious. Evocative depictions are OK, though (hence the existence of bikinis with starred tops and striped bottom) so the Hijab pictured is actually not even in violation of the flag code, judging from the fields of stars on both ends. Unless she got creative with an actual flag, which is supposed to be treated like a living thing even if we make them in China and it's probably patriotic brainwashing, but, but, RULES! Ignorance of flag code is my number one pet peeve, but I allow that most people think it's pedantic.

These guys are assholes, though.

It's got tassels and the stripes don't quite look white, so I highly doubt it's an actual flag. I've seen people wear Canada flags as capes and no one got upset, but maybe Canada doesn't have a flag code.

I'm pretty unpatriotic and wouldn't be caught dead wearing or displaying or saluting our national flag, but if I saw someone wearing it as that girl is doing I'd be pretty chuffed that she was happy being a Kiwi and wanted to show it.

Totally agree (and I am speaking as someone who's helped burn the UK flag, but that was sort of by accident).

In the case of a Muslim girl wearing a flag as a hijab, I've seen UK Muslims do it and I actually felt happy they did, because it was like saying "This is my nation too, and I belong here". It was good to see that they were identifying themselves as belonging, even when some sad bastards like the EDL/SDL were trying to say that Muslims aren't Scottish or English or British.

Archived