IGNORED

Duggars last will and testament

SPHASH

The formal name of the Coogan law is The California Child Actor's Bill and it only applies to child actors in California. When last I checked there was still some confusion over whether kids working in reality programming in California are also covered under it, as kids on such shows are usually not classified as actors, although I believe this was or still is under review by the courts.

Arkansas child labor laws are pretty weak and there are no requirements for payment or set-asides for minors. So TLC and the Duggars aren't required to set aside a penny for the kids. Once someone turns 18 however, s/he is no longer legally under the control of his or her parents and can refuse to appear on the show unless compensated directly.

The odds of any adult Duggar offspring refusing to appear on the show seem remote. This could change as more kids turn 18, but with the present bunch, I don't see it happening. Should TLC be paying them directly for their participation, I can see Jim Bob requiring his adult children to hand over any money to him for their "keep". Especially the daughters, as there is no way he wants them each with their own pile of cash. I can see him setting up funds for the sons for when they marry. Josh as a married family man almost certainly has his own deal with TLC.

Pennsylvania had to pass a law regarding reality tv thanks to the Gosselins. There was also a court ruling that said that the kids were working. it required that a trust be set up fir the children. i doubt that Arkansas would do that. The majority of the population probably see the show as a Christian "ministry."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to Octomom. Cali courts ruled filming kids for reality shows was work.

I guess the child-actor Coogan laws don't apply to reality shows, or else they would be required to put 15% of what the kids make from the show into trust for them, wouldn't they? I read something about how the Honey Boo Boo family puts most of what they make into trusts for the kids, but I assume the Duggars would not ever do that, as their sons are expected to earn their way as future spiritual leaders, and the girls' headships will be expected to provide, and 10% is certainly being tithed to ILBP.

I guess the family is paid as a unit, with Boob deciding where the money goes. looks like into more real estate rental properties. he's truly hung up on providing since he can't stop mentioning what a terrible provider his dad was.

To my knowledge, none of the laws enacted to protect child actors apply to reality shows (see above for changes).

The thing is would any of the kids (even at age 18) KNOW that they could actually refuse to appear? It's not as if they've been properly educated or have access to legal information. Their parents could force them to appear without paying them because those kids just don't know any better. And it's not like they could secretly seek out a lawyer as they never have alone time.

There's an excellent documentary that came out in 2000 on A&E called 'Child Stars: Their Story.' It details the hardships suffered by many child actors in Hollywood, and some of them discuss their financial situations. A few didn't have any money waiting for them by the time they became adults, either through parental mismanagement or the simple fact that the money made by the actors was used to support their families.

One of my favorite stories was where Malcolm Jamal Warner, who played Theo Huxtable on The Cosby Show, talked about how his mother literally dragged him to every accountant's meeting that was held about his finances because she wanted him to be informed about how his money was being managed.

I couldn't find a working link for the film anywhere online (not on YouTube), but it might be on Hulu.

I guess the child-actor Coogan laws don't apply to reality shows, or else they would be required to put 15% of what the kids make from the show into trust for them, wouldn't they? I read something about how the Honey Boo Boo family puts most of what they make into trusts for the kids, but I assume the Duggars would not ever do that, as their sons are expected to earn their way as future spiritual leaders, and the girls' headships will be expected to provide, and 10% is certainly being tithed to ILBP.

I guess the family is paid as a unit, with Boob deciding where the money goes. looks like into more real estate rental properties. he's truly hung up on providing since he can't stop mentioning what a terrible provider his dad was.

Unfortunately there are plenty of loopholes when it comes to child actors in reality shows, especially when they are in a different state than California (where most "real" child actors are and there are more laws for them). It's super easy for parents to exploit their kids through reality shows.

As for Honey Boo Boo, everyone loves to hate on them but they are the best family I have seen on reality tv. I'm not a big fan of child pageants, but other than that they are pretty normal. And the parents are far smarter and more sensible than they are portrayed. Mama June is savvy in spite of the accent and it would surprise me at all if she is really taking this opportunity to provide for her children's futures.

JimBoob is not stupid regarding money-they proably have a family trust set up to avoid taxes. If he does then he can not leave out the girls. I am just hoping that he did not name Smuggar as trustee, that would be a nightmare.

I don't know that much about trusts, but why would have to include his daughters?

The thing is would any of the kids (even at age 18) KNOW that they could actually refuse to appear? It's not as if they've been properly educated or have access to legal information. Their parents could force them to appear without paying them because those kids just don't know any better. And it's not like they could secretly seek out a lawyer as they never have alone time.

No, I dont think they do. I dont think they realise that they are adults and dont have to do anything that their parents tell them to. Theyre just too broken, beaten down and emotionally abused to realise that they have rights. As far as the fundie culture is concerned, youre a child til marriage and children have no rights.

No, I dont think they do. I dont think they realise that they are adults and dont have to do anything that their parents tell them to. Theyre just too broken, beaten down and emotionally abused to realise that they have rights. As far as the fundie culture is concerned, youre a child til marriage and children have no rights.

All true, except I don't think TLC would skip the contracts for the adults who regularly appear on the show. They have to deal with the legalities of the real world, not fundie fantasy land.

I can see someone like Josiah actually reading his contract when his time comes next year, assuming the show still exists then.

I don't know that much about trusts, but why would have to include his daughters?

He can leave them out as far as I know. I'm not sure what the tax implications are if he does so, but trusts are more commonly created not only for tax benefits but to control the money. I can see Jim Bob and Michelle doing everything in their power to continue to control and influence their children from beyond the grave.

Archived