IGNORED

Duggars last will and testament

SPHASH

I agree, the girls will get an inheritance. I can't see Jimbob and Michelle leaving their daughters with nothing.

They'll never leave them a direct inheritance. That would make it possible for them to get their own apartments and have their own lives. They'll have to go to whoever is managing the trust for their needs and that person will call the shots. Boob will probably pick someone, son or not, who is most likely to try to keep them living in Gothardism.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too can't see Jim-bob & Michelle leaving the girls w/ nothing. I too what would happen if their were any minor children if they both die before their grown.

The Duggars have a trust. The most interesting part would be who is the trustee/executor if both parents died? Is it a lawyer or a ATI leader or Josh? Jim Bob will make sure his daughters are taken care of. He would make sure the TTT house is maintained as the family home and the basic bills were paid. Jim Bob has said in the past that he pays for the older girls cars and insurance since hey can't have a career like the boys.

I would hope Jim Bob has an attorney handle the trust not a family member. When my husband's father died the oldest son was in charge of the money. This son didn't even live in the area and had his own family. The youngest 10 kids still living at home suffered as the older brother took money for himself and the kids didn't know their SS was suppose to be used on them. My husband was the oldest boy at home age 16 and had to work, go to school and take care of the siblings. His minimum wage barely put food on the table and they had no heat or a/c while his older brother collected nearly $3000 a month.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave money to the girls with strings attached- i.e. they get the money when they marry a man approved by their surviving headship (most likely Josh or JD)

I wonder if the girls will rebel and be normal when J'Chelle and Boob die. I can see some of them doing that.

They'll have a really tough time of it though, with such a poor excuse for an education and no work experience. This is actually the point of neglecting them, so they are forced into dependence. Everyone likes to pretend that Jill is really becoming a real duola or midwife, but it is surely as hyped and dishonest as everything else on the show and probably little more than a fundie-themed helper for women who are doing a homebirth on their own. It's a very niche market and Jill won't get any marketable skills from it, certainly not enough to become an actual midwife. And then some of the girls have done photography. They have some experience with childcare, but only using spanking and other techniques that mainstream daycare would not approve of. So basically, they stick around do as they are told, or they scrape buy on minimum wage customer service jobs with welfare and food stamps to close the gaps. I tend to get a bit ranty about this kind of thing because it's as much a part of the abuse as the blanket training and religious indoctrination. Parents shouldn't be allowed to do this to children.

I hope they have one, and did not make Smugger the beneficiary. He'd keep all of the money for himself. I also hope that they do have a plan for the little ones, if God forbid, Boob or Mullet die. If Mullet dies first, I'm sure Boob will remarry right away, and have more kids with his much younger wife.

That made me throw up a little in my mouth. Then I got irrationally pissed. :?

This is an interesting topic. I think every kid will get something, but the girls will have theirs kept in trust by brothers or some other close male - or it will go directly to sons-in-law. Any child who leaves the Duggar-approved lifestyle will of course be excommunicated. Depending on how long it is after the gravy train stops, though, who knows if they'll even get much?

I have wondered about this as well. I read a story- maybe on Recovering Grace or former Fundie blog- where the females got nothing. I also wonder if the unmarried Duggar females will have dowries in case they inherit something.

Speaking of dowries---Do you think the girls each have an old fashioned "hope chest" that they are filling with potholders and tater-tot pans? Its never been mentioned.

I can see the Bates girls doing that--but at least some of these also seem "craftier" than the J'Slaves--so more capable of crocheting a potholder. I don't know if any of the J'Slaves doing any sewing anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave money to the girls with strings attached- i.e. they get the money when they marry a man ap[link=][/link]proved by their surviving headship (most likely Josh or JD)

Agree!

Come on, do you all think this badly of the Duggar boys? I can see it with Josh if no one (Anna) convinces him otherwise, but JD, Joseph and Josiah? They all seem like decent guys at heart, I don't think they have much of Boob's greedy personality.

Yes, well, give it 30 or 40 years. Have "the boys" with wives, kids of their own, business successes or failures and "the girls" also married to men who "the boys" might or might not agree with. "taking care of your sisters" would only come into play if one of them were widowed and without other resources, I suspect.

They'll have a really tough time of it though, with such a poor excuse for an education and no work experience. This is actually the point of neglecting them, so they are forced into dependence. Everyone likes to pretend that Jill is really becoming a real duola or midwife, but it is surely as hyped and dishonest as everything else on the show and probably little more than a fundie-themed helper for women who are doing a homebirth on their own. It's a very niche market and Jill won't get any marketable skills from it, certainly not enough to become an actual midwife. And then some of the girls have done photography. They have some experience with childcare, but only using spanking and other techniques that mainstream daycare would not approve of. So basically, they stick around do as they are told, or they scrape buy on minimum wage customer service jobs with welfare and food stamps to close the gaps. I tend to get a bit ranty about this kind of thing because it's as much a part of the abuse as the blanket training and religious indoctrination. Parents shouldn't be allowed to do this to children.

I agree and I see it as a kind of extra insurance that the kids will toe the line. Where blanket training and indoctination may fail on any one of the girls, creating economic dependence via lack of education and work experience, will ensure no rebellion or "falling away". JB and J'chelle have effectively crippled their children on many levels. This is abusive but it's covered up in the guise of the wholesome Christian family and has a lot of people fooled.

Jim Bob seems to try to get his boys to be manly, but really loves his daughters. I don't think he'd leave them with nothing. Maybe keep the house til marriage to an approved Gothardite man and he could have some to take care of the family (or is that too much the man not taking care of his own family? Hmmm...) Either way, I can't see him leaving his girls with no way to survive. I think he thinks most guys aren't good enough for his girls, so I just can't get it in my head that he'd want them to be forced to marry just any Good Christian man to survive. Especially since for a few of them, if given a choice between hurriedly marrying some guy and trying to make it on their own or in groups, I don't think marrying some guy would be choice #1, ya know?

Jim Bob seems to try to get his boys to be manly, but really loves his daughters. I don't think he'd leave them with nothing. Maybe keep the house til marriage to an approved Gothardite man and he could have some to take care of the family (or is that too much the man not taking care of his own family? Hmmm...) Either way, I can't see him leaving his girls with no way to survive.

I agree Jim Bob loves his daughters, and he seems more comfortable around him than he does his sons.

But it's all filtered through Gothardism. He would never leave them an inheritance that could end up making it easier for them to leave the cult. He'll appoint the best Gothard guy he knows to manage the trust for him (hell, if Gothard himself weren't so old, he'd probably appoint him) and that person will handle their funds the same way Jim Bob would have if he were still alive. They'll have shelter, clothes, flip flops and iPhones, but no actual cash of their own.

Unless one of the howlers grows up to be a Jill-like snitch, I can see Boob by-passing all of his sons. Josh is too worldly, John too apathetic, Joe too laid back, and Josiah simultaneously too smart and too sensitive.

I'm getting a Karnak-style vision...could it be....

02-15-08_0453-300x199.jpg

I agree Jim Bob loves his daughters, and he seems more comfortable around him than he does his sons.

But it's all filtered through Gothardism. He would never leave them an inheritance that could end up making it easier for them to leave the cult. He'll appoint the best Gothard guy he knows to manage the trust for him (hell, if Gothard himself weren't so old, he'd probably appoint him) and that person will handle their funds the same way Jim Bob would have if he were still alive. They'll have shelter, clothes, flip flops and iPhones, but no actual cash of their own.

Unless one of the howlers grows up to be a Jill-like snitch, I can see Boob by-passing all of his sons. Josh is too worldly, John too apathetic, Joe too laid back, and Josiah simultaneously too smart and too sensitive.

I'm getting a Karnak-style vision...could it be....

02-15-08_0453-300x199.jpg

The pecan thief in charge? That would be a hoot! That would also drive Joshie nuts (no pun intended).

Jim Bob seems to try to get his boys to be manly, but really loves his daughters. I don't think he'd leave them with nothing. Maybe keep the house til marriage to an approved Gothardite man and he could have some to take care of the family (or is that too much the man not taking care of his own family? Hmmm...) Either way, I can't see him leaving his girls with no way to survive. I think he thinks most guys aren't good enough for his girls, so I just can't get it in my head that he'd want them to be forced to marry just any Good Christian man to survive. Especially since for a few of them, if given a choice between hurriedly marrying some guy and trying to make it on their own or in groups, I don't think marrying some guy would be choice #1, ya know?

He'd leave money for the girls, he just wouldn't leave it to the girls. That's how you "love" women when you're a patriarchal Christian. You keep them alive, fed, clothed, housed, mildly entertained, but imprisoned and under your control, and you tell yourself it's ok because look how happy they are! Kind of like people who keep birds in cages their whole lives.

The pecan thief in charge? That would be a hoot! That would also drive Joshie nuts (no pun intended).

Well, he is young, a headquarters guy, and all business. He even goes water skiing in a business suit. Who better to ensure the Duggar daughters stay under the thumb of Gothardism? Plus, he's, ahem, no danger to them and even Boob has probably figured that out.

When I was 14, my father died of a heart attack. About 6 months before, when my father was having significant medical problems, my stepmother talked him into changing his will so that I wouldn't get anything. When he asked her if she'd take care of me, she promised that she would and told him not to worry about it. After my father passed, the raid began: my stepmother's family members began stealing tools and furniture, and she took all of the money in the accounts and threw away all of my possessions.

In another instance, I have a close friend whose mother is going through lung cancer right now. The mother shared a home with my friend's grandmother (they equally shared expenses), and the mom took care of the grandmother until she died. Before she died, the mom requested that the grandmother leave the house to her, or at least get something in writing that would protect her financially from her 3 siblings. Grandmother refused, passed away, and now my friend's mother is being sued by her siblings. She had to take out a bank loan of $60,000 to pay them off so they would not sell the home from beneath her while she continues to recover. All this, while she is still dealing with cancer.

TL,DR: Never assume that someone who is a friend or family member will treat you honorably when there is an inheritance on the line. If you can, put it in writing before anyone involved dies, and make sure there will be someone to carry out your final wishes in the will.

Other than that, I think too much of Jim Bob's self-esteem is tied into his ability to father children. As much as he may love Michelle (and in a way that isn't free of manipulation and abuse), if she died, I'd give him six months before he remarried a much younger woman and started spawning more children. And I'd give it about 2 years after that before one or more of the oldest Duggar daughters committed suicide because they realized they're not getting out and would be forced to raise yet another jeneration of Duggar littles.

Well, he is young, a headquarters guy, and all business. He even goes water skiing in a business suit. Who better to ensure the Duggar daughters stay under the thumb of Gothardism? Plus, he's, ahem, no danger to them and even Boob has probably figured that out.

Oh absolutely. I totally get why JB would choose him to manage things for all the reasons you mentioned. It's just considering the competition shown between him and Josh, you just know it's going to aggravate Josh to no end over why he or his brothers weren't given that responsibility. And it's funny considering the pecan thief saga.

I think choosing someone other than one of the siblings as trustee/executor is generally a good idea. It helps to prevent conflict and strain on the siblings relationships with each other.

I think choosing someone other than one of the siblings as trustee/executor is generally a good idea. It helps to prevent conflict and strain on the siblings relationships with each other.

A friend's mother did this. She knew there would be strain between my friend and his sister, who weren't on the best of terms, so she choose someone else.

I guess the child-actor Coogan laws don't apply to reality shows, or else they would be required to put 15% of what the kids make from the show into trust for them, wouldn't they? I read something about how the Honey Boo Boo family puts most of what they make into trusts for the kids, but I assume the Duggars would not ever do that, as their sons are expected to earn their way as future spiritual leaders, and the girls' headships will be expected to provide, and 10% is certainly being tithed to ILBP.

I guess the family is paid as a unit, with Boob deciding where the money goes. looks like into more real estate rental properties. he's truly hung up on providing since he can't stop mentioning what a terrible provider his dad was.

JimBoob is not stupid regarding money-they proably have a family trust set up to avoid taxes. If he does then he can not leave out the girls. I am just hoping that he did not name Smuggar as trustee, that would be a nightmare.

I absolutely agree but even choosing a non-sibling could create conflict. My father's ex asked me to be her trustee/executor and asked if she could make me the beneficiary on her insurance policies. I told her I'd agree to do it provided she go to a lawyer, make an official will, and let her immediate family know about it. She has two biological children, an adopted family, and a biological family who all would have a better claim than me to take care of these matters provided anything happened to her. She agreed to go to a lawyer but not to be honest with her family since she was afraid that many would feel insulted they weren't asked.

I guess the child-actor Coogan laws don't apply to reality shows, or else they would be required to put 15% of what the kids make from the show into trust for them, wouldn't they? I read something about how the Honey Boo Boo family puts most of what they make into trusts for the kids, but I assume the Duggars would not ever do that, as their sons are expected to earn their way as future spiritual leaders, and the girls' headships will be expected to provide, and 10% is certainly being tithed to ILBP.

I guess the family is paid as a unit, with Boob deciding where the money goes. looks like into more real estate rental properties. he's truly hung up on providing since he can't stop mentioning what a terrible provider his dad was.

The formal name of the Coogan law is The California Child Actor's Bill and it only applies to child actors in California. When last I checked there was still some confusion over whether kids working in reality programming in California are also covered under it, as kids on such shows are usually not classified as actors, although I believe this was or still is under review by the courts.

Arkansas child labor laws are pretty weak and there are no requirements for payment or set-asides for minors. So TLC and the Duggars aren't required to set aside a penny for the kids. Once someone turns 18 however, s/he is no longer legally under the control of his or her parents and can refuse to appear on the show unless compensated directly.

The odds of any adult Duggar offspring refusing to appear on the show seem remote. This could change as more kids turn 18, but with the present bunch, I don't see it happening. Should TLC be paying them directly for their participation, I can see Jim Bob requiring his adult children to hand over any money to him for their "keep". Especially the daughters, as there is no way he wants them each with their own pile of cash. I can see him setting up funds for the sons for when they marry. Josh as a married family man almost certainly has his own deal with TLC.

Archived