IGNORED

I've seen the light, thanks to The Loomii !!

MamaJunebug

Yep, it's a lovely home, everything in its place, and I really do want to like the Loomii, and wish them joy... :eusa-shifty:

It's the ethos of chronic preachiness that turns me off. Steven providing a little "project" for out of town guests, reading the Declaration of Independence on the 4th of July, the family mission statement and "purposeful home decorations," the dour rewrites of hymns, the dire warnings about the evil, corrupted lives of famous composers. Mercy, when is one allowed to simply BE?? Everything, right down to the lesson-providing maps on the walls and the name of the cat, Must Have Serious Purpose.

One wonders if all this heaviness might be having a deleterious effect in the fertility department. Perhaps they should "take dominion" over the idea of relaxing and lightening up just a notch or two.

Could not agree with you more. I think they do have a sense of humor and aren't anti-fun like the Maxwells... but they should really chill out. Even if it had no effect on their chances of conception, it would be good for them.

I don't like their decorations too much (it reminds me too much of an Amish grandmother's home or church meeting areas...it's bland and unoriginal).

BUT given the fact that they seem to be acquiring a lot of the stuff second-hand from thrift stores and family/friends, it doesn't look so bad. I do like their spacious kitchen. And I think Rebecca mentioned that they would just keep the unfinished floors and paint over them for now, until they could afford re-doing them, which makes sense.

I'm disappointed I couldn't see the server room.

And who has a guest book for their house?

I've actually seen this in a number of homes. Some were high fundie, and prone to entertaining lots of out of town missionaries, pastors, friends of friends and others whose addresses they might want to collect. The other main group of people that I've noticed with the guest books are what I might politely refer to as "the Hyacinth Boo-kay" sort of hostesses. My impression of Rebecca Loomis is that she falls into the first group - she doesn't seem nearly pretentious enough for the other.

The “Lahbrawreeâ€. You have to say it with an english accent.

What the hell kinds of English accents have they been listening to?

What the hell kinds of English accents have they been listening to?

:D. The same one that fills "the vahz" with "dahzeeze"?

Clicking back on an earlier Arky Digest, Dominionist Edition, I learn that the bathroom that resembles mine was installed by the previous inhabitants who, IIRC, were also Loomii. I'm aesthetically doomed...

• 2 weeks later...

Rebecca refers to herself as an "empty vessel" in the comments. I feel so sad because she is slave to a culture that values women only for the children they can produce. She'll always be lesser-than unless she pops out a bunch of babies. Sad.

I don't follow the Loomii. Have they had testing that shows it's Rebecca that is the "empty vessel" and not just Steven shooting blanks? Or, because of their culture, Rebecca automatically shoulders the blame?

I would give something very dear to me if I could have a Craftsman home. I've always loved them and they are such lovely homes. The Loomii are very lucky to get a home with such good bones.

I don't follow the Loomii. Have they had testing that shows it's Rebecca that is the "empty vessel" and not just Steven shooting blanks? Or, because of their culture, Rebecca automatically shoulders the blame?

Rebecca was pregnant soon after their marriage and miscarried in April 2010. Their baby was a girl, and from what we could tell, she was about 4-5 months along. So they were able to conceive once, but they aren't talking about whether she has continued to conceive and miscarry.

And FWIW, this last series of photos on their website of their home was the first I had seen her mention that they would consider adoption. I am glad for that. She really wants a baby and really deserves to be a mama, however they can grow their family.

Guest Anonymous

I've actually seen this in a number of homes. Some were high fundie, and prone to entertaining lots of out of town missionaries, pastors, friends of friends and others whose addresses they might want to collect. The other main group of people that I've noticed with the guest books are what I might politely refer to as "the Hyacinth Boo-kay" sort of hostesses. My impression of Rebecca Loomis is that she falls into the first group - she doesn't seem nearly pretentious enough for the other.

My sister does, but she was given it by friends of ours who live in Germany.

We always make a point to leave inane obnoxious messages in it. Which she thinks are pretty funny. :)

Archived