IGNORED

The Tudors

Alecto

We've discussed the historical era, but let's talk about the show, and most importantly, how awesome a naked Johnathan Rhys Meyers is!

As far as acting, I'd rank the queens as thus:

Anne Boleyn

Catherine of Aragon

Katherine Parr

Jane Seymour (the second one, Annabelle Wallis)

Katherine Howard

Anne of Cleeves (Sorry, Joss. Love you otherwise)

Jane Seymour (the first, Anita Briem. Who had the charisma of lawn furniture)

I would honestly rank Natalie Dormer and Maria Doyle Kennedy as neck and neck as far as acting, though. Both are incredibly talented, and I wish Kennedy would get another big project. Another standout in the show for me was Sarah Bolger who played Princess Mary. She was outstanding, especially compared to the really bad acting for Edward and Elizabeth.

I would consider Natalie Dormer and Tazmin Merchant to be my top two. I think Tazmin played the sort of ditzy naive airhead really well. I think she captured the spirit of Kathryn Howard. Natalie was the best Anne I've seen on film. She was strong, opinionated, convicted. Lots of people love Geneviève Bujold's Anne, but I don't. I think it was too much in the vogue of the era the movie was made. She was too wifely, for lack of better word. I loved Sarah Bolger's performance. She brought humanity to Mary. I know a lot of people criticized Laoise Murray's performance as well, but I thought she was great. Her Elizabeth was calm, stoic, calculating. Some people might have took it as wooden but I took it as a young lady who thinks and takes everything in before she opens her mouth because she understands the times she lives in and the fickleness of her father. Yet, in little things you she did you could see how she very much wanted his affection and approval, like the scene in Anne of Cleeves' house.

I don't know how to feel about the Janes. I felt like with Season 2, they were going for a more cunning Jane and then they abandoned that approach for a more passive one.

I just finally finished watching the series on Netflix streaming last night. I got through season two last year and never got back to it so I had to start over.

My love belongs to Henry Cavill. When the last episode finished last night I wondered what I could do now to justify oogling a 28 year old. I will have to become a Superman fan for my own best interest.

I also really like James Frain (Cromwell).

For the women, I think Sarah Bolger was fabulous and Natalie Dormer was a perfect Anne.

My husband and I have watched the whole series. I agree that Sarah Bolger was amazing! I wish they would have continued th series with Edward, Mary and the start if Elizabetth's reigns.

My husband and I have watched the whole series. I agree that Sarah Bolger was amazing! I wish they would have continued the series with Edward, Mary and the start if Elizabeth's reigns.

Especially since it was called The Tudors, not Henry's Six Wives. I wish they had as well. But I suppose Hirst didn't want to since he already made two Elizabeth movies.

I just finally finished watching the series on Netflix streaming last night. I got through season two last year and never got back to it so I had to start over.

My love belongs to Henry Cavill. When the last episode finished last night I wondered what I could do now to justify oogling a 28 year old. I will have to become a Superman fan for my own best interest.

I also really like James Frain (Cromwell).

For the women, I think Sarah Bolger was fabulous and Natalie Dormer was a perfect Anne.

Agree with you about Henry Cavill. Disappointed to find out he's younger than me. Actually I think many of the men in the series delivered amazing performances.

I don't remember the first Jane very well - wasn't she only on for about 5 minutes?

I loved Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn as well as Sarah Bolger as Mary since she brought out her humanity. I have the entire series on DVD as my brother gave me that as a gift last Christmas.

I have started watching his show on BBC America and it is so well done. I am impressed.

'.

I have started watching his show on BBC America and it is so well done. I am impressed.

'.

You are actually seeing an edited down version.

You are actually seeing an edited down version.

Yeah, the version aired in Canada was edited down as well and so is the version sold on our itunes. I believe they do it so that it can fit into a one hour time slot including commercials. When the CBC aired The Pillars of the Earth they edited that as well. It's usually about a 20 min difference. I recommend watching online or in the case of The Tudors buying the uncut version of the DVDs. That way, you'll get the entire thing.

I loved the Tudors. I wish it hadn't ended! My husband and I watched the whole series. My library carries the series so I borrowed it a season at a time. We'd get so into watching that we'd watch three or four eps a night! That was last summer. Since then we've caught a few repeats on BBC America.

My husband also watches Dexter, which I haven't been able to get into, and I saw Maria Doyle Kennedy on there, as Dexter's son's nanny. I was glad to see her getting more work because she was so awesome on the Tudors.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved this series. I still have a few more episodes to go.

The actress playing Anne Boleyn was riveting. I also thought the actress playing Catherine Howard really embraced the role and brought a lot of humanity to someone who was immature and not too brilliant.

I read Wolf Hall about Cromwell and thought the actor played him really well. I know he was ruthless, but I identified with him as almost a corporate toady trying to keep his job. He was a man before his time.

Many of the male actors were pretty awesome to look at. I think it is Henry Cavill I was last crushing on, I'm not sure.

But I love the atmosphere, the setting and the architecture and the clothes, too.

I'm Netflixing through Season 4. It's so well cast, and I love it! I'm slowing myself down, because I know it'll be over in a few episodes.

Archived