IGNORED

Christoper and Anna Maxwell expecting

denimjumper

Are these kids allowed to anything? What a sad life.

Well, Sarah does love those bean burritos that are served weekly.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That reminds me, what family was it that didn't teach their daughters to drive, because they wanted to leave that decision up to future husbands? I guess it wasn't the Maxwells, but I thought it was one of the more prominent fundie families (not just some random family with a blog).

I think Anna might have a drivers license. I seem to remember a post about Anna taking over shopping so Teri could work on a book.

Anna Marie has a license, because they showed a picture of her driving a while back.

That reminds me, what family was it that didn't teach their daughters to drive, because they wanted to leave that decision up to future husbands? I guess it wasn't the Maxwells, but I thought it was one of the more prominent fundie families (not just some random family with a blog).

I think maybe the Sprouls?

Jonathan Lindvall of Bold Christian Living had an article on this years ago. I don't know if it's still on his blog (I haven't visited it in years). He said he was not going to allow his daughter (one daughter, oldest child) to drive, and when she got married her husband could decide whether she could drive or not.

He also didn't allow his wife or daughter to go "in to town" unless they were accompanied by him or one of the brothers.

Last time I could find any info on the daughter, Bethany, she was around 30 and still not married.

One of his daughter-in-laws used to have a blog, but I'm not sure if she still does (Brittany Lindvall).

He's a big proponent of betrothal. He wrote the article on the betrothal/marriage of David and Maranantha Chapman, where the bride's father did all the wedding planning to the point where the bride didn't even know the exact date of the wedding. It was bizarre.

I'm thinking Stephanie for a girl or Terrance for a boy.

Jonathan Lindvall was my gateway nutjob! I got his creepy emails forever, and the article about that betrothal was so disturbing. She sewed a wedding dress and then sat around waiting for her surprise wedding. (Shudder.) :cray-cray:

Well, Sarah does love those bean burritos that are served weekly.

Sssh. She said it was a secret. Don't let Steve find out or it will go the way of John's guitar.

No, she isn't married. I meant they'd tell them the night before or the morning of--that kind of thing. I imagine they did get some bizarre explanation for "changes" in their body, etc. Even if it was guilt-inducing, I'm sure they must have had to say something. I'm not saying it was well done or even very informative, but they must have told them something--even if "Yes, it happens each month, God cursed Eve with it for her sin. Here's the supplies. Never mention it again." kind of talk.

I think they would tell the bride-to-be something like "Just pray and it will be ok--he'll be done soon."

It would be just too defrauding to talk about sex and how babies are made before courtship and marriage!

I wonder what Teri might have told her daughters about their periods and stuff... any ideas?

Jonathan Lindvall of Bold Christian Living had an article on this years ago. I don't know if it's still on his blog (I haven't visited it in years). He said he was not going to allow his daughter (one daughter, oldest child) to drive, and when she got married her husband could decide whether she could drive or not.

He also didn't allow his wife or daughter to go "in to town" unless they were accompanied by him or one of the brothers.

Last time I could find any info on the daughter, Bethany, she was around 30 and still not married.

One of his daughter-in-laws used to have a blog, but I'm not sure if she still does (Brittany Lindvall).

He's a big proponent of betrothal. He wrote the article on the betrothal/marriage of David and Maranantha Chapman, where the bride's father did all the wedding planning to the point where the bride didn't even know the exact date of the wedding. It was bizarre.

Don´t want to get too much off-topic here, but i recently found Bethany Lindvalls blog!

Here it is: pleasuresforever.blogspot.co.at/

Last entry is from 2012, about a god- given travel mug (?!?) and still the only nuts this poor good woman in her late 30s seems to be allowed to touch are macademia nuts at some kind of macadamia nut picking- retread with some old ladies in weird wicker hats :cry:

She´s also doing some other SAHDish things like spinning fibers, tripping to conventions, internships at ministries, etc ...

But she seems to take nursery classes , although I would really wonder if it´s a REAL nursery class and not some kind of online, cult-approved thing like the J´slaves do...

Also, a certain Nancy Honeytree, Bethany linked a vid on her blog, is the epitomiest epidome of a fundie jesusgirl I have ever seen in my life, she´s really the whole package - from name to hat and smile :lol:

M9VP32wdneU

Jonathan Lindvall was my gateway nutjob! I got his creepy emails forever, and the article about that betrothal was so disturbing. She sewed a wedding dress and then sat around waiting for her surprise wedding. (Shudder.) :cray-cray:

I remember reading that one a long time ago, too! That was insane. Didn't he make them, or at least the bride, sit around waiting at home for a couple of months, then one day he showed up and said "it's today" and gave her half an hour to get ready, then drove her to an undisclosed location. So weird.

Or one

Agree!! Off topic but I have 2 friends (siblings) who also have an older sister. Their mother wanted 6 kids, however after the 3rd & (only boy) the doctors adviced her to stop & she did (under doctors orders). I wonder if someone tryed to tell Melanie & Nathan to stop.

Agree!! Off topic but I have 2 friends (siblings) who also have an older sister. Their mother wanted 6 kids, however after the 3rd & (only boy) the doctors adviced her to stop & she did (under doctors orders). I wonder if someone tryed to tell Melanie & Nathan to stop.

Luckily for Nathan, if Melanie passes away from complications, he has a spinster sister to take care of all his household and childcare needs. :cry:

Steven Curtis Chapman named his second youngest daughter Stevey Joy. Not sure if the Maxwells consider SCC to be godly "enough" for them to listen to though. He's definitely considered too wordly for Gothardites.

Back when I hung out on the QF forums online, there was a LOT of discussion on how to get girls to their marriage night without them knowing anything about the birds and the bees. Specifically, those mothers wanted to know how to give the most BASIC explanation about periods AFTER girls started them that wouldn't ruin their "innocence" by telling them anything about how babies are made.

I would like to think that girls can figure it out even when that information is deliberately withheld from them. However, I used to work with a developmental organization in Honduras with ties to Heifer Project. I recall that they used to do conferences for women and midwives to teach the women about their bodies and natural birth control, since a high percentage of the women wanted to control fertility but were staunch catholics and therefore would only accept NFP. They talked about how the woman showed up and had NO idea how pregnancy occurred. They said almost none of the women who hadn't given birth even knew how the baby would come OUT at birth, even amongst the women who were pregnant with their first child.

So, when I look at the isolation those women presented with the complete lack of information presented, then yes I think these fundie girls who are isolated from society and had both their interact and their in person interactions monitored and controlled so no one accidentally tells them, I think it is entirely possible that these girls show up on their wedding day with NO CLUE what comes next.

That was the goal a decade ago. There was a thought that any girl with actual knowledge was not as pure as one without knowledge, and thus less desirable for a husband. If anything, I suspect it's getting worse and not better on those circles.

Luckily for Nathan, if Melanie passes away from complications, he has a spinster sister to take care of all his household and childcare needs. :cry:

Or marry a younger woman like his brother did and fill his quiver further.

Someone mentioned 26-27, and she was 24 when they married. Christopher is mid-30s.

Yep! I found out about him way back in USENET days when people would talk about him on misc.education.home-school.christian. I had to look him up, and was horrified. Still am.

FWIW, he's another one of the big proponents of isolating off your children. He's big on the whole "fools" thing, children are fools and so shouldn't be left alone or heaven forbid with each other. Surely he'd get right along with Steve.

...all of which leads to, I'm not surprised in the slightest to find that he also has an unmarried 30+ year-old daughter. Ah, the wonders of courtship.

Back when I hung out on the QF forums online, there was a LOT of discussion on how to get girls to their marriage night without them knowing anything about the birds and the bees. Specifically, those mothers wanted to know how to give the most BASIC explanation about periods AFTER girls started them that wouldn't ruin their "innocence" by telling them anything about how babies are made.

You can find some discussion about this sort of thing on imamother, people talking about how in some communities the goal is to keep the kids "innocent" for as long as possible, so that yeah the ideal is that they don't know a thing until they have a sort of "education for marriage" that explains things, once they're engaged and ready to go. (To be fair, there are other people from less isolating communities - orthodox but just not really out there ultra - who openly find this as crazy as secular people do.)

Anyway among the more isolating types, there are people who go away for a week or two when they birth their babies, and don't tell their kids at all about the process, that the baby is even growing in mom, NOTHING. Babies come from god, of course, and I guess mom has to go pick it up...? And, kids in high school then still not really having any clue about what goes on in that area. People FROM some of the more isolated communities (yet still posting on the internet, so it's certainly not the most isolated out there by any means) asking that question, "how can I talk to my kid about menstruation without telling anything else?"

I think kids who grew up rural (from whatever culture and in whatever place on the planet) figured these things out earlier because they saw animals mating and birthing young. They know where livestock comes from as well as that it turns into meat, y'know? :) Rural kids today, same story.

But if someone is kept extremely isolated and away from all media and lives in the city, I can kinda imagine how people might be remaining completely clueless, unless (horror of horrors, as worried about by a lot of the isolated types) some random kid in the class somehow finds out and spreads the info around.

Still, rather than just the mechanics ("slot A goes WHERE exactly?????") it seems to me a bigger problem would be the complete absence of any just normal social interactions with the opposite sex, in groups/families that lean that way. You're told that it's a horrible shaming thing to even be caught talking with a boy for any reason, and then all of a sudden you're married? Even aside from the sex issue that's gotta be awkward.

Back in the day when the Maxwells had their Titus2 Moms Forum, Sarah was in her early 20s. There was a message from Teri stating that questions regarding hormonal issues, childbirth, and breastfeeding were OK, but please NO discussions regarding anything to do with marital intimacy, because Sarah was doing a lot of moderating and they needed to protect her innocence.

At least the fundies who live on farms seem to have kids who know the mechanics of baby making.

Sarah does have a license. I don't know about Anna or Mary. Stevie said their "kids" don't get their license until they need it for work. I guess they don't want to pay the additional car insurance on a young driver.

Way OT, but Rebecca (HIswayserves blog and Maxwell fan) just failed her drivers test for the second time.

Back to Maxwells...

Yeah, re-reading The Blue Castle(the story of Valancy Stirling; an old fave), Valancy's mother actually thought she still "supposed that children were found in parsley beds". The book was based in the 20s, and yeah, LM Montgomery wrote that in, I think most of her books; that must have been the common thought in those days. And Valancy being an only child, well, I guess she never really saw anyone in her family being pregnant. Other girls she writes about are told it's "not proper to think about that" when asking why her female cat hasn't had kittens. I can't imagine; those brides would've been, like, what? Our dear Sarah Maxwell at least has gotten to see her mom and sisters-in-law be pregnant..........and now I wonder if she played a part in changing the reversals' diapers or bathing them and "saw the difference" and wondered.

Yeah, re-reading The Blue Castle(the story of Valancy Stirling; an old fave), Valancy's mother actually thought she still "supposed that children were found in parsley beds". The book was based in the 20s, and yeah, LM Montgomery wrote that in, I think most of her books; that must have been the common thought in those days. And Valancy being an only child, well, I guess she never really saw anyone in her family being pregnant. Other girls she writes about are told it's "not proper to think about that" when asking why her female cat hasn't had kittens. I can't imagine; those brides would've been, like, what? Our dear Sarah Maxwell at least has gotten to see her mom and sisters-in-law be pregnant..........and now I wonder if she played a part in changing the reversals' diapers or bathing them and "saw the difference" and wondered.

Out of all the people in the world, Sarah Maxwell is the one I find least likely to figure it out herself. Those children have no curiosity, creativity, perspective or inquisitiveness.

Archived