IGNORED

Carver Family

nelliebelle1197

I couldn't find anything in the archives, but I was wondering if everyone knew about Meaghan Carver, an educated lawyer who gave it all up to be a submissive, skirt wearing SAHM to her homeschooled children. I find her oddly fascinating, not just because of her education past career and because her husband is a community college professor, but they are buying into the extreme fundy-ism hook line and sinker. They think the Creation Museum is a great place full of truth. And Meaghan is fangirl enthusiastic about her blog and the other blogging fundy moms. Lori Alexander posts comments occasionally.

meghancarver.blogspot.com/

[Edited by hoipolloi to remove live link]

Great. Love a new blog to browse on a rainy Saturday :)

I remember finding this post meghancarver.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/what-is-typical-day-for-homeschool.html a while ago and it's actually quite amusing and refreshing to see amid the myriad of "OMG we're so blessed and everyone works so well together when we homeschool!" posts.

It helps immensely that she has a coherent writing style.

Looks like something fun to read later tonight.

Make sure you find the homeschool field trips to the Creation Museum!

She needs to talk to Abigail! She has a law degree and views it as "an insurance policy of sorts, if anything should ever happen to him or his income" (meghancarver.blogspot.com/p/about-me-and-my-family.html in the comments). Sad that I find this refreshing...

Also, her "submission" posts sound more like she and her husband didn't talk about what they wanted their marriage to be like before they got married. He started talking to her about when she would stay home with the kids and she was surprised because she had planned on having a career. She eventually came to the conclusion that she was ruining their marriage because she wasn't listening to him...

ETA: Also, what?? "{And, to some extent, this is easier than those three years when the Lord told me to stop eating chocolate. J}" meghancarver.blogspot.com/2013/06/how-i-found-modesty-part-two.html

I remember finding this post meghancarver.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/what-is-typical-day-for-homeschool.html a while ago and it's actually quite amusing and refreshing to see amid the myriad of "OMG we're so blessed and everyone works so well together when we homeschool!" posts.

It helps immensely that she has a coherent writing style.

Yes, I remember this. The first part amused me. The second part apalled me because there doesn't seem to be much supervision or schooling going on. I feel badly for these children. Somehow, I doubt they'll be allowed the option of getting any sort of college degree, let alone a law degree.

She needs to talk to Abigail! She has a law degree and views it as "an insurance policy of sorts, if anything should ever happen to him or his income" (meghancarver.blogspot.com/p/about-me-and-my-family.html in the comments). Sad that I find this refreshing...

Right. Because, in this climate for law jobs, someone's going to hire a middle-aged woman who's never practiced....

I see her lack of contact with reality isn't limited to her love of the Creation Museum!

She does mention that all of her children will have the option to attend the 2 year community college where her husband works for free someday. She even mentions money-saving techniques to help them if they decide to pursue a four year degree. This is refreshing compared to most of the other bloggers we discuss.

Anyone else notice she scatters random J's throughout her writing? It's driving me to distraction.J

Right. Because, in this climate for law jobs, someone's going to hire a middle-aged woman who's never practiced....

I see her lack of contact with reality isn't limited to her love of the Creation Museum!

Is she even admitted to the bar? I know some bigger firms will hire new law school graduates prior to their admittance to the state bar on the provision that the graduates will get admitted and will practice under the supervision of a licensed attorney. I can't imagine any firm or company would hire someone who has never practiced and is not currently admitted to the bar. She would have nothing to offer them... except for stupid homeschooling ideas.

Why is her thirteen year old making lap books? That activity seems to be appropriate for elementary school students, not middle school students. The "persuasive paper" on the 6,000 year old earth is pathetic. The writing is elementary and the reference list leaves a lot to be desired. My public school teachers would have ripped it to shreds.

We have talked about her a couple times.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17391

There was another topic, but I can't recall the title. She had these weird suggestions for dealing with situations that were :wtf: Apparently just saying "no, I'm too busy" or "what brand and what size of oil?" is too difficult.

There is a doozy of a post in her "top posts" about how awful it is for her husband to be defrauded by hot young women at the amusement park but it's not his fault, "blame the women", and gives tips how to keep your headship's eyes on your countenance and not on those harlots.

Why is her thirteen year old making lap books? That activity seems to be appropriate for elementary school students, not middle school students. The "persuasive paper" on the 6,000 year old earth is pathetic. The writing is elementary and the reference list leaves a lot to be desired. My public school teachers would have ripped it to shreds.

I actually thought the paper itself wasn't that bad. She seems like a bright young lady. I blame her parents for her very poor science education. If she went to public school, she'd would probably be among the top students of her grade since she seems to have a desire to learn and seems quite intelligent. She's young though, and at a vulnerable stage. She's been sheltered her whole life. She just a child, she doesn't know better. Her poor science paper is 100% the fault of her parents, not hers. I don't think she was allowed to read any non-creationist piece to put her argument together. They won't let her know about real science. She's smart and she'd start to question the nonsense and they can't have that now. I'm rooting for her to escape and become successful despite her parents stupidity.

Oh, I completely agree that it's not the kid's fault that her education is lacking. It's her fundie parents' fault, not hers.

I was snarking on the mom because she considers this age appropriate education, not the child. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yes, I remember this. The first part amused me. The second part apalled me because there doesn't seem to be much supervision or schooling going on. I feel badly for these children. Somehow, I doubt they'll be allowed the option of getting any sort of college degree, let alone a law degree.

Her husband has lousy reviews on Rate My Professor. I hope he's not helping with the homeschooling.

Can you provide a link? :stir-pot:

Her husband has lousy reviews on Rate My Professor. I hope he's not helping with the homeschooling.

Am I the only one who's a bit creeped out by the doll pictures? :roll: If you don't want to use pictures of your family, fine, but staging them with dolls is a little strange.

ETA: This is the post I am referring to meghancarver.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/what-is-typical-day-for-homeschool.html

I am not familiar with her blog. First look at it leaves me a bit surprised... She looks rather old. When I saw the side bar picture with the baby, I thought she posed with her grandchildren. :embarrassed: Wouldn't be a first with fundies though.

Also, there was a huge gap between her getting married and having their first child. About eight years. Does anyone know what happened in between? Did she in fact work and practice law for several years until her husband called her home to have babies?

I do remember reading that she did practice for a while. I will try to find that "testimony". Working at home today so I may have time!! ;)

QFT. I haven't read the rest of the posts or her blog, but yes. It's difficult enough to find a new job when you've been in the legal field but not necessarily practicing. Firms and companies in the central states are hiring attorneys with significant experience and recent experience. If they're hiring baby attorneys, the pay sucks and the hours suck more. Her insurance policy is only as good as the work that she actually puts into maintaining her knowledge base and her practical legal skills. Homeschooling kiddos, while important, isn't going to maintain her ability to draft a motion or a brief. Or hell, to maintain her ability to argue said motion in court! If she isn't attending CLEs or keeping her license active, her "insurance policy" is also fairly useless if she wants to start practicing again.

Can you provide a link? :stir-pot:

I think this is probably him. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... tid=716388

I had seen this blog a few times, but I hadn't read all the way through until the past couple of days. Obviously she's, and I'm assuming her husband if he's a professor as well, very well educated. And while I doubt I'd be willing to use almost any of the same curriculums that she uses, her kids do seem to be getting a better education than some of the other fundies followed on this board. Then again, it's not like it takes very much effort to do better than Duggar style SOTDRT. I was impressed that there does seem to be an assumption that all of the kids will go on to at least community college. The family discount may be only good at Daddy's school, but it's a secular school that will expose them to ideas outside the fundie bubble.

I don't quite understand her modesty rules. It looks like she prefers that the girls wear sleeves at least to their elbows, but it seems like that's often accomplished by wearing long sleeved shirts which would seem like would be unbearable during the summer. Either that or boys shirts, which to me defeats the purpose of being skirts only because of a need to separate male from female. She admits that she's not naturally girly, which might contribute to the fact that all of the women look frumpier than a lot of the families followed here.

I also want to know what's up with the triple bunk in the girls' room. I understand the need to save space when you put more than one child in a bedroom, but the headspace on the lower bunks just looks cruel. I can't imagine how they get in. Maybe I'm just claustrophobic.

meghancarver.blogspot.com/2011/05/future-first-lady.html That post just made me sad. I agree with her that FLOTUS can be an important job, with the potential for quite a bit of influence. But I don't understand her surprise at there not being "Future First Lady" shirts to complement the "Future President" shirts at Mt Vernon. I guess I don't understand why only her boys should aspire to be president one day. Then again, when is as about the age of her oldest girls during that trip, I had a shirt with Margaret from Dennis the Menance that said "one day a woman will be president" on it.

This is just my personal take on why some educated women go fundy (so I hope I don't offend any homeschooling families :) ).

I think many of the women we snark on may experience some social anxiety or depression and may have had difficulties in the workplace and greater society in general. Alternatively, I think there are many women who enjoy homemaking as a lifestyle/vocation but realize that American society no longer places much value on unremunerated labor. Sooo, one day on the internet, or in their church, they discover this whole worldview that not only validates their preferences (remaining at home), but actually sanctifies their preferences. Suddenly being a stay at home wife/mom is imbued with deeper meaning than just a simple lifestyle choice. GOD wants me to remain in the domestic sphere. And then there is a whole lifestyle to go with it; homeschooling, home businesses and for some, homechurching. By popping out babies until they are no longer fertile, and then homeschooling those kiddos, they are guaranteed to never have to leave the domestic sphere if they don't want to.

There was a time before I had kids when I went through a period of unemployment and got pretty depressed. I spent a lot of time on the computer and lurked on a lot of "biblical womanhood" type message boards. I could definitely see the appeal. I'm not unemployed, I'm a keeper at home! See, what I am doing every day has value! But I could never go down that road because (1) my husband is agnostic so he would be all, God wants you to do WHAT?, and (2) I just don't get the submission thing. I remember I had a job once and one of my indirect supervisors was (in my opinion) dumb as a box of rocks. It was so galling to have to take orders from this guy. I cannot imagine having to take orders from any old nitwit simply because he is a man. I'm smarter and more skilled than many men in the world. I could never ascribe to a worldview that says my only value is in the domestic sphere. I am a sahm to small children at this time. This is a lifestyle choice, period. I believe what I do every day adds value to society. What I did before this period and what I do after will also add value to society (I hope).

Archived