IGNORED

Whiner lady educates you on FOOD and GUNS! Revelation.

OkToBeTakei

Well she has to eat all the processed crap food because all she has is in California is a cooker/stove, with oven and four gas burners. Microwave. Fridge. Shocker, I believe it is also has electricity. I think (could be wrong) most folks call that ........a kitchen? :shock:

Now granted it is fairly small. Pretty sure I could knock up a cracking meal for 10 in there no problem. When I think about some kitchenettes I had as a student or the tiny kitchen in my Gran's house where she turned out a cooked breakfast, cooked lunch and three course dinner from scratch (no other way in those days) for her family of 9 plus an elderly Aunt and Uncle next door. Then later all of us grandkids, I really feel Whiner lady is going to struggle in the end times she is looking forward to :lol:

She'll make a great prepper as long as she has all of her modern conveniences. Hopefully before she realises this, we get to see the fornicating goats.

We're using a hot plate, plug in skillet, crockpot and microwave for 6 adults right now. We manage to cut vegetables and cook from "real food." We've been doing this for months until thestove gets squared away. When there were 4 of us, we ate on $250 month. We are mostly vegetarian, so we rely on a lot of veggies and bulk whole grains. Buying a few things in bulk does not necessarily require a lot of space, especially if you are using it quickly.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand of milk processing*, all the fat is taken off the milk and added back in different proportions to "whole," "2%," "1%," and just left out of skim. So whole milk goes through a similar processing as skim milk.

Carrageenan is delicious. (I mean, it makes foods delicious, I haven't ever had it plain, I imagine it's probably vile plain.)

*I am not a dairy farmer.

ETA: You know, the point that "low-fat" foods are frequently as unhealthy or more unhealthy as their regular counterparts is a good one. (See: low-fat Cheese-its. The low-fat version has about 10 fewer calories per serving and more sugar, which is not much better for your health than just regular Cheeze-its.) Food frequently has sugar or salt added to it to replace the fat that is removed, which is unhelpful health-wise. But milk? Is like the one example where fat is just removed and nothing is added back to make up for it. It is actually substantially fewer calories per serving and better for your cholesterol. (Not that I'm giving up my 2%...) WTF?

Home canning, and making jams and so on is actually pretty easy, the only trick is keeping in mind that what you're doing is less cooking than it is DIY biochemistry. If you are using tested instructions, and have the proper equipment, its pretty easy. The worst that will happen is that your jam or jelly won't set, and you'll end up with delicious fruit syrup instead. For anyone who wants to try it out, I highly recommend the National Center For Home Food Preservation's website, http://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html (not breaking the link because its a public, informational website) which is run by the University of Georgia. They have instructions for preserving almost everything, and they also have a little online course that teaches you how to safely can food.

Had a reply & lost it by accidentally leaving the page *sigh*

Anyway, brief summary, if she ever decides to grow apples trees, she's going to be out of luck with "heirloom" seeds if she wants a particular type of tree....apples don't breed true, you have to take cuttings. Recently read a great article on how we're losing the massive variety of apples that used to exist and about a man who is trying to preserve as many as he can find......http://permaculturefreepress.com/?p=237

I think it's good to avoid Monsanto patented seed varieties, if you can, but it's really hard to do unless you know what you're looking for.

Could someone enlighten this poor, confused Canadian on what "American cheese" is? I'm guessing from the posted recipe it's Velveeta or similar?

As far as this Canadian knows, American cheese is either Velveeta or processed cheese slices, or both. Not 100% sure.

Slightly off topic - we lived in a house that had an orchard. There were over 50 varieties of apples, as the previous owner had grafted them back in the 80's to try and preserve as many varieties as he could. It was good eating. I was really sad when Dad sold it (although I was long married and gone off to live in Canada by then!).

Edited to change 'he' to 'dad'... pronouns can be tricky!

Home canning, and making jams and so on is actually pretty easy, the only trick is keeping in mind that what you're doing is less cooking than it is DIY biochemistry. If you are using tested instructions, and have the proper equipment, its pretty easy. The worst that will happen is that your jam or jelly won't set, and you'll end up with delicious fruit syrup instead. For anyone who wants to try it out, I highly recommend the National Center For Home Food Preservation's website, http://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html (not breaking the link because its a public, informational website) which is run by the University of Georgia. They have instructions for preserving almost everything, and they also have a little online course that teaches you how to safely can food.

Once you get the hang of it, it really isn't that hard. I grew up with pretty much everyone in my family canning and making jams.

If she does pursue this expensive adventure like a headless chicken batting around in the dark, this should provide a lot of entertainment material. The usual stages of how things go when people unlock the door to the organic trend (I eat almost exclusively organic myself, so I mean no offense... I'm merely referring to those who "go through phases"):

1. EVERYTHING ORGANIIIIC

2. I shall exclude other things because I'm discovering they're not good. But I will happily continue to munch on ORGANIIIIIC junk food that doesn't have these randomly selected ingredients I've decided to loathe. Usually, it's agave syrup, stevia, refined sugar, soy products.

3. I shall now go vegetarian.

4. God, I feel so much better since I went vegetarian two days ago. I will now go vegan.

5. Been vegan for a week, I am reborn. I do need to go gluten-free and raw now.

6. A couple of months have passed, I realise a normal diet is so much better and healthier (basically, I'm out of money/too lazy to do all that is required/a secret meat lover).

There is nothing wrong with organic food, vegetarianism, veganism, limiting gluten intake, and such. However, when you run into this lifestyle like she seems to be, it's just going to be a phase. I am putting ten euros on it right now. This show ain't going to be renewed for another season... And then she'll be stuck with chickens and goats. Oh, fun! :roll:

Awww look. More enlightenment from the Whining intelligence :lol:

Tea Party. I ask you. Do you think she realises what an idiot she sounds?

Found this on Face Book today, courtesy of the TEA Party....very enlightening!

20 Signs America is in Decline

Written By : John Hawkins June 29, 2013

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. — Ronald Reagan

Those who attack American culture and tradition should recall that historically, freedom and prosperity are the aberrations, not servitude and poverty. Our nation’s success is not a happy accident or part of a natural, unstoppable progression that can’t be changed. Nothing could be more foolish than to abandon the traditions, religion, work ethic, family structure, moral code and culture that made this country wealthy and free while expecting to continue to reap the rewards of practices we now scorn as too demanding and judgmental. What we sow as a nation, we should expect to reap and the crop these days isn’t looking very good.

1) The CBO estimates that the interest payments on our debt alone will take up 36% of the budget in 2030, 58 percent in 2040 and 85 percent in 2050.

2) Fears that America would go bankrupt in the next few years used to be a fringe belief. Now, Doomsday Preppers is a TV show, gold, guns and survival seeds are being widely advertised and vast numbers of Americans are making decisions about purchases, investments, and saving money that take into account the possibility that the country could bankrupt within the next decade or two.

3) “Half of all children born to women under 30 in America now are illegitimate. Three in 10 white children are born out of wedlock, as are 53 percent of Hispanic babies and 73 percent of black babies.†— Pat Buchanan

4) “The IMF calculates that to maintain the present spending trend the United States will have to nearly double (88 percent increase) all federal taxes to maintain theoretical solvency.†— Kevin Williamson

5) In 1963, a movie that wanted to get the approval of the Production Code of the Motion Picture Association of America “could not include any profanity stronger than hell or damn,†couldn’t take the Lord’s name in vain, and “couldn’t present sex outside of marriage as attractive or justified.†Today, even many video games targeted at teenagers don’t meet those standards.

6) “Fewer Americans are at work today than in April 2000, even though the population since then has grown by 31 million.†— Mortimer Zuckerman

7) The U.S. put a man on the moon in 1969; yet we no longer even have a manned space program.

8) Like the Roman Empire in the decades before her collapse, America is unable to control its borders or properly assimilate vast numbers of people entering our country.

9) In 2005, roughly 10% of our Gross Domestic Product was spent on compliance with regulations created by the federal government.

10) America lost its AAA credit rating that it has held since 1917 and no one is even discussing how we could get it back.

11) Economic growth for the middle class has essentially been flat since the 1970s.

12) Forty seven percent of Americans don’t pay income tax. That means not only are the poor not paying their own way, a significant number of Americans in the middle class aren’t being asked to pay in taxes what they receive in government services.

13) There is a 100 trillion — with a “T†— gap between what our government is currently promising to pay to retiring senior citizens and the money it’s on track to have. Just to give you a little perspective, our current national debt is approaching 17 trillion dollars.

14) Only about 30% of Americans think the country is on the right track.

15) Only about 15% of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing. The British undoubtedly would have had better poll numbers than that before our ancestors revolted against them

. 16) “In the fifties, one in twenty members of the workforce needed government permission in order to do his job. Today it’s one in three.â€

17) “In 1950, 78% of households were occupied by married couples. Today, that number has slipped all the way down to 48%.â€

18) “Consider this: the U.S. economy has created 2.6 million jobs since June 2009. In the same period, 3.1 million workers have signed up for disability benefits. Back in 1992 there was one person on disability benefits for every 36 people in employment. Now the ratio is 1 to 16.†— Niall Ferguson

19) Gun sales hit record highs in 2012. That’s partially because of fears of gun control, but it’s also because of a growing fear that a breakdown in societal order is coming down the road.

20) “John Kichen of the U.S. Treasury and Menzie Chinn of the University of Wisconsin published a study in 2010 entitled: Financing U.S. Debt: Is There Enough Money in the World — and At What Cost? The fact that sane men are even asking this question ought to be deeply disturbing. As to the answer, foreign official holdings of U.S. Treasury securities have usually been less than 5 percent of the rest of the world’s GDP. By 2009, they were up to 7 percent. By 2020, Kitchen and Chinn project them to rise to 19 percent of the rest of the world’s GDP, which they say is….do-able. Whether the rest of the world will want to do it is another matter. A future that presumes the rest of the planet will sink a fifth of its GDP into U.S. Treasuries is no future at all.†— Mark Steyn

Read more at http://www.rightwingnews.com/john-hawki ... 1O5S7Rg.99

Number three is giving me rage.

I'm am 100% sure Carla Emery would not approve of all the junk food she is buying. I just looked at her kitchen and it is only a little smaller than mine(most older houses have big kitchens, sadly mine doesn't) and I just finished canning jams and peaches and I'm getting ready to start on salsa, beans and tomato sauce. And I still managed to cook oatmeal that isn't in little pre-made pouches. I actually went and foraged for wild blackberries to make jam with. And I just found out that there is a whole blueberry patch on our property that I never noticed before. If the world as we know it ends, I think I would outlast her easily.

My mother used to forage for blackberries and chokecherries to make jam-- sooooo yummy! I'm envious of your blueberry patch too!

My mother used to forage for blackberries and chokecherries to make jam-- sooooo yummy! I'm envious of your blueberry patch too!

I had to google chokeberries and we have them too! I had no idea they were edible. We have scuppernongs but sometimes the deer and birds get to them before I do. Something always gets the persimmons which makes me sad because they are so good.

Awww look. More enlightenment from the Whining intelligence :lol:

Tea Party. I ask you. Do you think she realises what an idiot she sounds?

Ahem. America lost its AAA credit rating BECAUSE of the Tea Party. When they refused to raise the debt limit, they functionally said "we don't feel like paying back our debts, even though we've got plenty of money." The ratings agencies responded to that clear statement, shockingly enough.

No one is discussing how to get it back because a) the Tea Party is too stupid/crazed to discuss it with, and b) unless and until they pull that crap again, everyone is happy to lend us money at functionally 0%, so the actual rating is irrelevant.

Come on! Are you implying it's not a heaven sent miracle that America alone, out of all the countries of the late 20th and early 21st centuries, only in America can you look forward to a life free of poverty and servitude???!!!?? Look at America's exemplary minimum wage!!!! It is the envy of those poverty stricken peasants to the north and across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. While those miserable slaves toil day in and day out at two or three jobs just to cover their housing and medical costs, here in America we are free! Free! FREE! So let me tell you, Japan, Sweden, England, send me your huddled masses Australia, New Zealand, Germany, we will take them in Ireland, Italy, France, and we'll set them free, Finland, Switzerland, Austria*, so they can live, starve and die of a preventible but tragically expensive medication dependant disease in FREEDOM!!!!!!!! USA!! USA!! USA!!

*47 other countries omitted for brevity.

Chokecherry trees are very variable in astringency and you have to pick them very very ripe.

I had to google chokeberries and we have them too! I had no idea they were edible. We have scuppernongs but sometimes the deer and birds get to them before I do. Something always gets the persimmons which makes me sad because they are so good.

Chokecherries make amazing jelly! Just beware-- they will stain your hands red for *weeks*! :lol:

Chokecherries make amazing jelly! Just beware-- they will stain your hands red for *weeks*! :lol:

I'm going to have to try this. They are all over the place. We used to play with them when I was little but I never knew what they were.

Soy, Almond, Coconut and Rice milk contain carageenan.

I don't think anyone was confusing those with cow's milk.

It's probably more accurate to say "Most brands of soy, almond, coconut, and rice milk contain carageenan" I usually make my own almond milk (easy and it tastes better than the boxed stuff) but the stores I shop at all carry brands of packaged non-dairy milks that do not contain carrageenan.

Does she not know how to cook? Why replace packaged mac & cheese with organic packaged mac & cheese? Why waste so much money on convenience foods when learning how to cook would be so much healthier and frugal? Jesus she is dumb dumb dumb/

If she truly wants her family to be healthier, she should buy "What Would Jesus Eat?" cookbook and follow that diet. Newsflash -- water is the best beverage hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

She has guns now, a rifle and a glock. Lovely.

I am vey anti-gun anyway but have said in the past for sporting purposes or hunting and properly legislated I see the point.

But to let somebody as thick as two short planks as she is to own a glock seems everything that is wrong with gun control. She had problems shooting them in her flip flops. That really just about says it all.

Considering she was so proud to have made kill shots on the human targets I'm thinking it is not deer she is after.

ETA. If a mod sees this, any chance you can add 'and GUNS! ' to the title? Really did not want to start another Whiner thread. Her crazy is coming thick and fast now :lol: No need to clog up the board at every new 'shiny' folly.

Someone is going to get hurt in that family. She is too stupid to have a gun.

Who the hell uses pasteurized processed cheese in their Mac and Cheese?

I make Mac and Cheese one of two ways: either make a Mornay (white sauce with cheese) and pour it over boiled macaroni (bake if desired) or mix milk, eggs and shredded cheese together to pour over macaroni and bake until browned and bubbly. The latter is how my mom always made it. Both methods make delicious Mac and Cheese and both use actual, real cheddar cheese.

My thoughts exactly--the only time I have bought American cheese as an adult was when we were having a burger cookout with little kids invited. I had learned from previous experience that some little kids are very picky, lol.

My thoughts exactly--the only time I have bought American cheese as an adult was when we were having a burger cookout with little kids invited. I had learned from previous experience that some little kids are very picky, lol.

I find the bolded hilarious because my 7 year old is seriously picky, and she refuses to eat american cheese. Absolutely will not touch the stuff.

If American cheese is what I think it is, most of my social circle calls it 'plastic cheese' and avoid it like the plague :lol:

My Pop always says everything in moderation. He is 83, no health problems, and can help people move house and lift heavy pianos. I think I'll listen to him.

Whiner lady, surviving the apocalypse with guns, goats and processed, packaged food that needs microwaving.

Archived