IGNORED

Whiner lady educates you on FOOD and GUNS! Revelation.

OkToBeTakei

And what internet has she been reading?

Not to mention, nitrates in smoked foods are NOT necesarily added. They can and do occur naturally. So, if she is going to try to find naturally cured meats she's still gonna get nitrates.

She can keep her chickens in the house! (Episode of Adam 12, a woman was keeping her chickens in the house and had named one George Junior, after her husband.).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just googled carrageenan and I didn't find anything too terrifying. It is made from red algae and see weed and is also used in medications. The European Food Safety Authority has concluded that "there is no evidence of any adverse effects in humans from exposure to food-grade carrageenan, or that exposure to degraded carrageenan from use of food-grade carrageenan is occurring" (ec.europa.eu/food/fs/sc/scf/out164_en.pdf). Also, WebMD states:

Carrageenan is safe for most people in food amounts. There is a chemically altered form of carrageenan that is available in France to treat peptic ulcers. This form might be UNSAFE because there's some evidence that it might cause cancer.

Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Carrageenan is safe in amounts found in food, but there's not enough information to know if it's safe in the larger amounts that are used as medicine. It’s best to stay on the safe side and avoid use in medicinal amounts.

(webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-710-carrageenan.aspx?activeIngredientId=710&activeIngredientName=carrageenan)

Dear Whiner Lady, even if dairy had carrageenan in it - I am pretty sure the health benefits for milk for your children far exceed the minuscule possibility of the carrageenan causing them any harm.

Edited because I DO know how to break links.

Not to mention, nitrates in smoked foods are NOT necesarily added. They can and do occur naturally. So, if she is going to try to find naturally cured meats she's still gonna get nitrates.

She can keep her chickens in the house! (Episode of Adam 12, a woman was keeping her chickens in the house and had named one George Junior, after her husband.).

:lol: I don't know why I find it so hysterical that that show is mentioned on a snark forum. I vaguely remember that show. Some memory of a child getting her head stuck in a coffee table.... :think:

Carry on...

:pink-shock: where do you live? Why on earth is there a thickener in the milk?

maybe that skim supreme milk. It's skim milk but they've done something with it so it's not as watery looking.

Or that Stonyfield farms one with the fish oil added. I was surprised to find that TJs 0% greek yoghurt is just fruit, sugar, milk, cultures. Normally the 0% stuff is full of stuff to make it creamy.

In organic cured meats they use celery powder. That's a rich source of nitrites.

Browngrl, ITA. She hasn't even attempted to cook yet and she's going to go straight to canning everything herself? Or she could be like my cousin who picks three or four (not sure, I never listen to the rants) items to freak about and stuffs herself full of any other junk she sees. She's Wholefoods target market for sure.

I'm not surprised that she's getting into chickens, since chickens are downright trendy at the moment. And honestly, chickens are not a lot of work, if you can take care of fish or a houseplant, you can take care of chickens.

ETA: Just for fun, I timed my chicken chores today. It took me all of ten minutes, and that was with filling the chick feeder and waterers, which I don't always need to do.

From the comments. She posted this in a reply.

Honestly, there's really no substitute for American cheese (that I know of), so it's going to require some sacrifice I'm afraid!

:shock:

She is worried about 'proper' Macaroni cheese without it. She does understand it is essentially an Italian dish? Tell me she knows this?

I happen to know the US has just a good as selection of cheeses as other countries. From many countries. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN?

By the way, as far as "organic" veggies and fruits go.....don't waste your money! Unless you grow it yourself from an heirloom seed, your best hope is to go to your local farmer's market and ask what kinds of seeds they use!

:lol:

Sweeteners that are not either pure cane sugar or stevia should be avoided. They are pure chemicals. But even the real sugars can be GMO if not organic!

Huh? What is Stevia?

I have never seen so much processed food in one place. More amusing is she thinks she is now being healthy?

She truly is a trip. A rather blustering, clumsy, OH LOOK SHINY, kind of know it all after FIVE minutes decision :lol:

I distinctly get the impression she is as we say here a bit of a 40 watter.

I am very surprised about the amonut of GM food in the US though :think:

Did anyone else catch that it's her daughter who put together the "manual" on how this is all going to work? I'm not sure on ages, since I haven't read her that long, but she can't be much older than nineteen or twenty, right? I think the daughter's going to end up doing most of the work... :D

Stevia is a South American plant who's leaves have a sweet taste. Its very popular as a "natural" sugar substitute, even though it takes quite a bit of refining. There is also quite a bit of evidence that eating it can cause liver damage.

Well, I"m not saying crazy lady is right about how bad carrageenan is; I know nothing about it. But I do know that all the dairy milk that is served to kids at the elementary school I work at includes carrageenan in the list of ingredients on the carton. It may not be common in dairy milk, but it is definitely included by at least one dairy where I live.

I think that it is used as a thickener or emulsifier. Is it chocolate milk the kids are drinking at school? I'm pretty sure that I heard seaweed is added to bottled/cartoned chocolate milk to keep the chocolate from settling out.

I don't buy chocolate/soy/almond/other milk so I may be wrong.

what do I buy?

2% or whole milk, in returnable glass bottles - because i'm weird like that.

Am I the only one who went to check their milk? I never thought to read the ingredient label on a carton of milk. No carrageenan in mine.

Well i wasn't going to but...it says.

Organic pasteurised 1.7% fat semi-skimmed milk.

Keep refrigerated. Use within 3 days of opening. See best by date on cap.

Nutrition.

Typical values per 100ml. Energy. 206kj. Protein 3.4g. Carbohydrate 5.0g of which sugars 5.0g. Fat. 1.7g of which saturates 1.0g. Fibre. nil. Calcium 122mg.

Per 200ml glass. 98 kcals.

Suitable for vegetarians. This milk is Scottish and comes from xxxxxx xxxx Dairy.

Bottle plastic. Recycle. Cap plastic. Please check local recycling for instruction.

A couple of logos EU agriculture. OMSCO. Saltire.

There, can't believe I just did that :lol:

Stevia is a South American plant who's leaves have a sweet taste. Its very popular as a "natural" sugar substitute, even though it takes quite a bit of refining. There is also quite a bit of evidence that eating it can cause liver damage.

A gotcha :lol: She really is a bit of a dafty.

Who the hell uses pasteurized processed cheese in their Mac and Cheese?

I make Mac and Cheese one of two ways: either make a Mornay (white sauce with cheese) and pour it over boiled macaroni (bake if desired) or mix milk, eggs and shredded cheese together to pour over macaroni and bake until browned and bubbly. The latter is how my mom always made it. Both methods make delicious Mac and Cheese and both use actual, real cheddar cheese.

I make Mac and Cheese one of two ways: either make a Mornay (white sauce with cheese) and pour it over boiled macaroni (bake if desired) or mix milk, eggs and shredded cheese together to pour over macaroni and bake until browned and bubbly. The latter is how my mom always made it. Both methods make delicious Mac and Cheese and both use actual, real cheddar cheese.

I make mine with cream cheese and shredded whatever-I-have-in-the-house cheese (except feta or blue), mixed with hot pasta, milk and butter, pour it in a pan and bake it for 20 minutes. Gouda is awesome, as are fontina, gruyere, and muenster. And Trader Joe's gluten-free brown rice fusili pasta is really good in it. But, I don't think I've ever used American cheese at all in mac and cheese, and I don't think it would taste good at all.

My Silk Vanilla Soymilk does have carrageenan in it, but meh. I can't find my give-a-damn about it, frankly.

This. I not only use real cheddar cheese, I also use gouda, havarti, and parmesan in mine. As far as that particular ingredient, my giveadamn system failed to load, so damn not given.

I've never made the kind with eggs in the sauce. I've made the white sauce kind. I like to use all sorts of cheeses and sometimes I add crumbled cooked bacon. Smoked cheeses are awesome in mac and cheese like gouda or fontina. I use cheddar and parm at the very least.

although, I know its junk, sometimes I like the kraft blue box mac and "cheese".

hmmm, so I thought egg sounded weird, but there are two kinds of recipe, one where you make a baked custard, one where you make a cheese souffle base. I might need to experiment.

hmmm, so I thought egg sounded weird, but there are two kinds of recipe, one where you make a baked custard, one where you make a cheese souffle base. I might need to experiment.

The egg one was new to me. Sounds very yummy. Will definitely try it.

I use penne instead of macaroni, the basic sauce with extra mature cheddar and gruyere. I make a parmesan crust with ciabatta (always some dried up bits in my house) and then top with sliced beef tomatoes. Why yes, it is a very 70's retro look :lol:

I love bacon in mine! Very, very rare treat as I look at all the cheese and see a coronary nightmare to which I'm about to add even more fat :lol: So yummy though.

The egg one was new to me. Sounds very yummy. Will definitely try it.

I use penne instead of macaroni, the basic sauce with extra mature cheddar and gruyere. I make a parmesan crust with ciabatta (always some dried up bits in my house) and then top with sliced beef tomatoes. Why yes, it is a very 70's retro look :lol:

I love bacon in mine! Very, very rare treat as I look at all the cheese and see a coronary nightmare to which I'm about to add even more fat :lol: So yummy though.

Watch out! NITRATES!!! :lol:

Wow.

I wasn't able to read it all, but I'm calling her info about milk crap. At least it's not applicable where we are. The stores here, and in other parts of the state we've visited, sell milk that is collected from many smaller dairy farm. We have dairy farming friends. They are not a massive inhumane operation. They are skilled small to medium scale farmers. They take excellent care of their animals. Their milk is purchased by a dairy company, which processes it and distributes it under the "big name".

Maybe there are gigantic inhumane dairy farms. But I have no reason to stop buying milk from local stores because I know it comes from local dairy farmers who aren't cramming a million cows into one shed or whatever other horrors she claims.

maybeiz, you are lucky to live where you do. Where I live the milk is full dairy horror. From what I can tell (there's always doubt, IMO) My two options are Organic Valley or Stonyfield for ethically raised easily accessible milk. And I pay a premium - $7 a gallon.

Oops, I checked and my soy milk has carrageenan. Oh well. Unless it comes from a farm, you couldn't pay me to drink regular factory-farmed dairy milk like Hood. Blech. I'll take my chances with the additive.

Archived