IGNORED

Whiner lady educates you on FOOD and GUNS! Revelation.

OkToBeTakei

Wait till that pig gets to be full size. :dance: Pigs can be mean suckers, like chase you up a tree you are so scared mean. :lol: Oh, for a hidden camera.....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait till that pig gets to be full size. :dance: Pigs can be mean suckers, like chase you up a tree you are so scared mean. :lol: Oh, for a hidden camera.....

PREGNANT pig :lol:

That lives in a dog kennel under the lean to.

Uh....she is already failing at the goats. She's going to need kidding pens and a buck. That is not sufficient goat housing...also she needs stanchions.

PREGNANT pig :lol:

That lives in a dog kennel under the lean to.

I just realized that the pig is pregnant and living in a dog house outside. The chickens live inside the "barn", but where do the goats live? What about winter? Do they live in a place that gets cold weather? Are they really expecting a pig and piglets to just live in a dog house outside all the time?

I just realized that the pig is pregnant and living in a dog house outside. The chickens live inside the "barn", but where do the goats live? What about winter? Do they live in a place that gets cold weather? Are they really expecting a pig and piglets to just live in a dog house outside all the time?

The older post on the blog mentioned putting stalls in the barn, so I thought the goats were living there. But then the newest post talks as though only the hens will be in the barn (which does have one window, that does appear to open, but still not much for cross-breezes). Interior looks to be mostly MDF/particleboard type wood, though, at least from the crappy pictures, and I wouldn't expect it to last long. So, not sure where the goats will live. How much milk can you get from two tiny goats?

That pig's a miniature, not sure how big they eventually get, but I can say one thing for certain. If they let that pig roam the yard/"pasture" they can kiss their garden goodbye PDQ. Pigs like to root around and take dust baths, and are masters at digging under fences (ours were, at least). Happiest day mom (and dad) probably had was when the last of our hogs left the farm.

How much milk can you get from two tiny goats?

Well, first the two goats turn into several goats... :D

Well, first the two goats turn into several goats... :D

True. :lol: And that pig is - probably - going to become several pigs very quickly. And even small pigs and small goats will require care & maintenance. Should we take bets on who gets past the garden fence first - goats over or pigs under? Or the hens may fly over/wiggle through and beat the rush.

It's a potbellied pig, so it's already full-sized. They're pretty amenable.

I am worried about the animals, though. These are the type of people that seem gung-ho about new things and then get disinterested. Poor little goats and pig. If they get hens, they are really going to have to coon proof the hen-house.

Also, that "barn" is not acceptable. Not big enough. Not enough ventilation. Particle board will fall apart in relatively short time with goats pissing all over it. Gah. If there weren't innocent animals involved, this would be comical.

And you know that when a concerned neighbor calls animal control or the local humane society, she'll blog about persecution.

If she just said, "We're starting a hobby farm," and got into the online hobby farmers' network for her area, this thread wouldn't exist. But, no, fundie knows it all about everything, no need to ask worldly folks who've already, you know, made it work.

So the chickens, goats, and pigs are all living in one big pen together with the goats and chickens sharing the fake barn and the pig(soon to be pigs) living in a medium sized dog house outside?

This is going to end up like Raquel's horse I'm afraid. And I'm betting the pig will escape first followed by the goat and then the chickens.

Well folks we have T-shirts and a name for the err 'farm'

PUMPKINVINE CREEK FARM.

One day they hope to sell goats :animals-cow: Kinda looks goatish :lol:

*sigh*

I pet-sat for a family with goats and chickens. Result: feces and dead plants anywhere any of them could reach. Would she post pics of when it rains and you can't tell the mud from the muck? Ha!

Aunt had a miniature pot-bellied pig. Thing ended up being the largest family member (and uncle was huge). Lived in their garage. It required more of a zoo-keeper than a farmer and lived years. What is she thinking?

How to make make mac-and-cheese with American cheese: 1) Pull open instant ramen package. 2) Save seasoning packet for a hot drink later (one packet = one/half gallon). 3) Cook and drain ramen, split in half. 4) After breaking off bits of the cheese when trying to unseal the stupid wrap, layer the cheese in the middle of the starch. Don't stir too much or all the cheese will stick to the bowl. 5) You now have a complete starch and fat meal, fit for any fundy, as it does not contain nutrition or food, but does briefly satisfy tummies.

10 years later after these, I know none of these pursuits is a good idea, but does Whiner Lady have a learning disability where she can't absorb contradictory information?

10 years later after these, I know none of these pursuits is a good idea, but does Whiner Lady have a learning disability where she can't absorb contradictory information?

As far as I can tell, most mainstream Americans have no ability to absorb contradictory information. The current two-party political system is dependent on that fact. As a recent president said, "You're either with us, or against us." And anyone presenting fact or opinion that appears to be "against" is simply labelled "the enemy" (also known as "we're being unfairly persecuted!!!1!" in fundy-speak). No consideration is given to factual reality.

Sad.

As far as I can tell, most mainstream Americans have no ability to absorb contradictory information. The current two-party political system is dependent on that fact. As a recent president said, "You're either with us, or against us." And anyone presenting fact or opinion that appears to be "against" is simply labelled "the enemy" (also known as "we're being unfairly persecuted!!!1!" in fundy-speak). No consideration is given to factual reality.

Sad.

And don't forget that in fundamentalism, you didn't decide to try something new: "the Lord laid it on your heart." You won't see how it turns out and then decide whether to continue: you'll "follow the leading of the Holy Spirit." The authority figures in your life don't make suggestions: they have "a word from God" for you. Now, as a Christian, I do believe that sometimes we are prompted to go one way or another, but I also believe in using my reason to think about what seem to be promptings from beyond my own mind, asking other people who did what I am contemplating doing how it worked out for them (this includes reading my Bible), praying, and just plain sleeping on it. This is called discernment, and fundamentalists flee from it as if it were Satan. You're supposed to have a VISION, to be AFLAME FOR THE LORD, right NOW, NOW NOW NOW; if you don't, somebody with a claim to spiritual authority will be happy to assign one to you. And if it doesn't work out, either do it more and harder or pretend as hard as you can that yet another project petering out is just a new "leading."

OK, I thought pot bellied pigs were kept as pets, not raised as meat? :shock: :? I've only ever come across them twice, both on leashes and on the beach. The owners both appeared to have more money than sense.

In the US, pot bellied pigs are usually kept as pets. They are not considered desirable for meat because they are (relatively) fatty and slow growing and don't get as large as the breeds raised for meat on commercial hog farms. In Vietnam, they are raised for meat, and their (relatively) small size and docility is considered a plus, because they are raised on a much smaller scale. You can raise a pig or two on household garbage, making it a source of affordable meat in a place where meat can be hard to come by, and many families do just that.

There are a fair number of people in the US who are interested in raising a few pigs for meat who also look on the small size and docility as a plus, and have started raising pot bellied pigs for meat. I'm not saying that she isn't making some serious mistakes, because she is, but just raising pot bellied pigs for meat isn't totally nuts.

Archived