IGNORED

Being molested by evolution is the same as real sexual abuse

Trynn

I remember the Rosh Hashanah service after Columbine, my dad walked out during the sermon because the rabbi blamed the teachers for not doing enough to prevent the shooting. My dad, a public school teacher, was deeply offended. I grew up in an area where pretty much every synagogue had a pro-rabbi and anti-rabbi faction, and we had very little respect for the rabbi at the synagogue where we spent High Holiday services.

Guest Anonymous

While walking out of services (and other events) can be admirable, I would rather stay. Last year I sat through some truly awful bullshit about what "all black people" thought about "all Jews". It was properly fucked up. I stayed because I wanted to hear all of it and make a complete complaint. I didn't want anyone to undermine my concerns by saying that I hadn't heard the whole thing and that I'd missed some important detail. I'm glad I stayed because at the very end the senior rabbi stood up and put the verbal smackdown on the racist. It was pretty cool.

I walked out of church back in the day. It happened right after the encyclical Humane Vitae was announced. The pastor in his sermon said not to worry about over population and starving children in Latin America because Jesus would come down and repeat the loaves and fishes miracle. I couldn't stay one second after that.

I walked out of church in the middle of the Mother's Day sermon once, back in the '70s. The priest had just said something like 'through cleaning toilets shalt thou enter the kingdom of Heaven." I spoke to him about it in confession not long afterwards, and he explained that lots of women tell him they feel ground down by the drudgery of housework and childcare, and he wanted to remind them that their work is important.

Archived