IGNORED

Senator Wendy Davis Fights Anti-choice in Texas - Merge

tuckerphez

I don't understand this whole filibuster-thing. Is there some kind of explanation somewhere for dummies? What's the point - does the side who talks the longest "win"? I'm totally and absolutely clueless. :embarrassed:

This particular one happened on the last day to vote for things this session so at midnight they're "done" with the session and can't vote on more things. Basically she was interrupting the vote long enough so that they didn't have time to vote for it. This is not true of all filibusters, just this one. She did this because the law was wrong and combined with other laws already on the books put an undue hardship on women seeking abortion.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand this whole filibuster-thing. Is there some kind of explanation somewhere for dummies? What's the point - does the side who talks the longest "win"? I'm totally and absolutely clueless. :embarrassed:

I don't understand it very well either and their have been some attempts to reform the process, but basically, a legislator who has the floor can just decide that they're not going to yield the floor. They'll yield only for points of order and things like that. It's a way to shut down debate or to stall or prevent a vote from happening. Rules vary according to the legislative body, but generally the legislator can't take a break for anything. A classic example of a filibuster is in the movie Mr Smith Goes to Washington. I think the whole movie is available on youtube. There's a fairly extensive clip there, too, but it's better and more complete to watch the whole film. The late, unlamented Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina was the champion Filibuster-er. He once read from the DC phone book during a filibuster.

This particular one happened on the last day to vote for things this session so at midnight they're "done" with the session and can't vote on more things. Basically she was interrupting the vote long enough so that they didn't have time to vote for it. This is not true of all filibusters, just this one. She did this because the law was wrong and combined with other laws already on the books put an undue hardship on women seeking abortion.

This was especially valuable in Texas because the legislature only meets every two years.

Take that, Texas anti-woman fundies and the a-holes who subsidize you! I am glad I didn't know about this last night while it was going on; I would never have got to sleep and I had to work today. But when I read it on FB first thing this morning, it seemed like a harbinger of good news to come. And the marriage equality decisions bear that out--a very good day indeed. :dance:

Perry, of course, has already called another special session to try again beginning 7/1.

Rick Perry has a special ring in Hell reserved for him. I have lived all of my 43 years in Texas, and I must say, Perry is way worse than Dubya ever hoped to be. Fuck Hair Perry. Fuck him with sandpaper.

Where, on this site, can I blog about my abortion experience? I had to deal with the 2-day appointment thing, and I met many women dealing with that horseshit. Sorry for spelling errors. Noni is ragey right now!!!!!

The spectarors in the gallery and rotunda were organized by Cecile Richards, daughter of Ann Richards. She is an activist for Planned Parenthood.

I'd like to see the Texas Eleven flee the state so they can't get a quorum for a legislative session. Obviously, it won't be quite the same Texas Eleven, but it would be awesome.

The Texas 11 are the 11 Democratic state senators who left the state so that a quorum could not be called when the GOP wanted to redistrict. The Eleven went to New Mexico for about 45 days. It was great.

Hey guys, don't forget the other amazing senators who helped keep the ball rolling: Senators West, Ellis, Watson, Zaffirini, Whitmire, and Van De Putte among others, but these are the ones that I remembered.

Senator Ellis helped Sen. Davis with her back brace and did an awesome job of asking questions to stall. Sen. Zaffirini had what I think was a rulebook in her hand and at one point asked whether the rules against leaning should apply to Senator Davis because the rules only refer to men, not women. That had me giggling.

Then there's Sen. Van De Putte who arrived late because she had to bury her father. She was the model of professionalism and cool. She remained calm throughout, even in the midst of the outbursts from the gallery. For me, her question, "At what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over her male colleagues in the room?", was the highlight.

I don't live in Texas (but I have relatives who do) but I just donated to Wendy Davis' campaign fund...

http://www.wendydavisforsenate.com/page.cfm?pageid=84 ... I figured she earned it with that incredible performance.

Thank you for posting that. I donated earlier, and tried to find the address to post here so if anyone else had the urge to help could. I don't live in TX either, but my hard core religious family does. They haven't defriended me yet, but I haven't checked FB since I donated and shared it earlier. I really love them, but their beliefs and politics fucking put ice in my veins.

• 2 weeks later...
It's getting hard to be a liberal Texas woman. Sigh. Road trip to Austin, anyone?

If my kids were in school. I'd be there in a skinny minute. This issue and gun reform are issues that bring out my righteous anger and I'm itching to do my part and become an activist. Watched a clip today on Upworthy showing the summary of the whole fillibuster struggle, and when the crowd started chanting to disrupt the voting, I was actually standing up, clapping, and had tears in my eyes. It moved me so deeply to see what we can do when we come together and take a stand. Wendy and those people in the gallery made me so damn proud.

I heard on the Young Turks there is a conservative website that is bashing Wendy for being too hot for a middle age woman.

Perry has decided not to run again :cracking-up: If Wendy ran, I'd double the donation I made and campaign for her..

Archived